Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: KJack's suggestions.  (Read 11968 times)

'KJack.mp3

KJack's suggestions.
« on: November 13, 2007, 01:30:31 pm »
Hi, I have spent quite some long time thinking about what I want in Open LieroX.
So here is a list of things that I would like to have. I do know some of theese may not be backwards compatible. And some may take long time to make. Please reply what you think.  :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. I want Dedicated servers. (a whole new Open LieroX client)
       List: Able to set time limit of a game. (also announce the winner when time
         is out)

Auto kick players who doesnt press a key for x seconds.

Launge filter.

Start game when x ammounte of players has joined.

Start game after x ammount of seconds.

Map/Gamemode/mod/lt/weps voting(maybe the host of the server can set    
        presets for mod/lt/wep) in Lobby, 1 vote per IP. If player leaves, his/hers    
       vote is gone.

If you dont want map votig: be able to set map/mod cycle.

Being able to login from another computer/ip as admin to use commands.

Auto mute if player is posting x messages in x seconds. Unmute after x seconds.

Maybe kick/mute voting ingame.
(Done partially)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Being able to set in options when ure hosting: Suicide/Teamkill gives -1 to kills.
      reason: When you play a tdm or dm with maximum kills. U can kill your
         self or your teammate and they will spawn with new health
         and loaded weapons without a penalty.

3. Map/mod downloading in the game, so when you join a game and the game starts. U will be
   asked if you want to download the stuff you dont have. And if u dont anwser in x ammount
   of seconds, u will be kicked. And since mods and maps are so small it will not be
   noticeable. (this can be set on/off by host)
   (Done partially)

Being able to set spawn time for players after they die. So when they die they will have
   to wait for x seconds before they spawn.
   (done)

5. Add "Friends" in network section. There you can add a friend by IP and see if they are
   playing (green light else red) on a server. U will see his name, and if you right click
   his name u can press join (if server is in lobby) or server details.

Add "Downloads" in network section. There people can download map/mods/skins/official game
   releases. Map/mod/skin makers can upload the stuff they have maked.

Being able to set key configuration while you are playing.

8. Add a "Spectate" when you are playing in a server. So you dont have to suicide.

9. Being able to set a default skin and colour in options, so all other players are that skin
   and colour. (this is NOT an host option)

Add option in server: Timelimit, game ends in x ammount of seconds.
     (done)

Add gamemode: Last Man Standing.
      How it works: When game starts all players are alive and can shoot. When they
      die they get into spectate mode. When there is only one survivor he gets
      1 point(/kill). When a player reaches x ammount of points he wins.
      Winlimit can be set by host.

Being able to set how many weapons players can have. (default 5)

13. Add option so that you can control if players can have the same weapon in 2 or more
    weapon slots.

14. Add option so host can decide if players are able to see other players health.

15. Add a version checker to a server. The server checks if the player have the same
    liero version as the host. Then you can have auto kick if you want with a message that
    says, the host is using a newer version. (or w/e xD)

16. Add "Chat" in Network section. There people can chat in the general chat. But people
    can make private rooms (passwored if they want), there the hoster can kick bann
    and all that (but not in general chat, only admins). And mayb here there can be a
    spam and launge filter. You stay logged in as long as you dont press logout.
    So when you play a game, people can see that in the chat.
    Ex: KJack is my name, i join server. Name becomes: KJack(Playing)

17. Add option when game starts. Check so that players have EXACTLY the same map as the
    host. Otherwise people can make own maps with same name and play. Autokick..

18. A button for teamchat.
(done)

19. Maybe add a VOIP (voice over IP) function. Press a button to speak to others, also
    a team-talk button. (can be set on/off by host) (Players that doesnt have newest
    liero just simpl doesnt hear it)

20. Add an option to a server if players are able to join game while server is playing.
(done)

21. Make so you allways see what weapon you have, I mean the text over your worm when you  change your weapon.
I know you see it in the down right corner, but its too small and you have to concentrate on what ur doing, so its better to have it over your worm.
(on and off)

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:09:16 am by 'KJack.mp3 »

Jage

Re: KJack's suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:15:10 pm »

18. A button for teamchat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. Add an option to a server if players are able to join game while server is playing.

There is /teamchat.
And I think there is able to join during game. (olx4)

Pera

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 04:20:50 pm »
Seems to me that most of these are copied from Counter-Strike or some other game. Anyway I agree with 3, 7 and 20 but rest would be more or less annoying addons.

Griffin

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 04:40:03 pm »
Please download the SVN version of OLX before posting suggestions.

I feel that asking for #11 is just downright lazy, you should be able to do this yourself... (Obviously not program it but put the settings in such a way that you have the same effect).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:03:47 pm by griffin »

pelya

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 04:54:29 pm »
Latest SVN version contains simple #1 and #20 all the way compatible with old LieroX  8) , it's relatively simple to add #2, #4, #10, #18, maybe #11, for #19 use Skype and don't argue  >:( .

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:19:32 pm »
oh yea, im lazy.

Just spent 3 hours of thinking of suggestions for improvement. Yea and u cant put settings so it becomes Last man standing as explained.

thanx for the "appriciation", well im not going to suggest anything again then..

"
Seems to me that most of these are copied from Counter-Strike or some other game. Anyway I agree with 3, 7 and 20 but rest would be more or less annoying addons.
"

I never play cs. And could you explained what is annoying since almost everthing is on/off choises........
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 05:21:03 pm by 'KJack.mp3 »

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 05:26:52 pm »
1. I cant possibly see how u think i think ur lazy.

2. That would just be annoying.

3. This was only suggestions, and if u dont have anything constructive to say...

Pera

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:31:06 pm »
Nah I'm too lazy. But one thing is that some of those are pretty big changes so community wouldn't accept those without pertus on saletisti hot.

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 05:32:04 pm »
:|

its just addons, not changing anything actually.

SteelSide

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 10:57:41 pm »
People, keep in mind, he's giving suggestions, helping the dev team to actually DEVELOP things by giving FEEDBACK.

Constructive criticism should be a rule of thumb, and starting to flame is certainly not recommended.

Dedicated server: Hirudo will get a whole new codebase, where setting up a dedicated is as easy as not starting the GUI.

3) DC has already started on such a thing.

10) Already there

12) In progress (idea phase)

17) Hirudo will have this

19) Totally unnecesary ;O, only uses more bandwidth, + it's usually alot more sucky compared to skype/ventrilo/teamspeak.

Get yourselves to IRC asap, I'm lonely. (And please change nick from OpenLieroXor)

Ahmed

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 11:23:48 pm »
May I ask if the network code in Hirundo will reduce distance lag?
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

DarkCharlie

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 11:28:26 pm »
No game can reduce the lag - the time your data travels over the network cannot be changed. However, the game can change how much the lag will influence the gaming, our objective is, of course, to make this influence as low as possible.

Thanks for giving suggestions.

Ruki

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 11:33:24 pm »
I want "/thetime" command!!!

Gaston

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 12:04:31 am »
No game can reduce the lag - the time your data travels over the network cannot be changed. However, the game can change how much the lag will influence the gaming, our objective is, of course, to make this influence as low as possible.

Thanks for giving suggestions.

One thing that was on my mind on the lag issue was implenting some sort of Extrapolation. I asked Gusanos devs about it, but apparantly it wasn't an option due to it's unreliability. But I'd imagine that if the ping is within a reasonable amount (lower than say 350),  it'd be more preferable than just have either the host or the player have the fixed position.

This would work like before the game starts. The host measures average pings from players for 10 seconds, and gets a value a(1) for player a. a value b(1) for player b etc etc. Then like always, the players have their "real" position at their screen and send packets to host giving position and additional data. When it comes to position the host would have a formula with a basic x,y cordinate system (which is what lx basically is), that would have a function  depending on time. All values except "position at host" will be given. Position of host would simply be a function depending on the position that the client reports to the host and the amount of differeniation would depend on the average ping measured in the beginning.

This could get messy if all players clients would do this as well since the amount of time there, would be practiaclly the double, and the host would have to send packets informing all players about all other players which could bring more lag to the game etc. So perhaps it would be best to keep it to the host at least at first if this is to be implented.

Like I said though, Gusanos developers thought this was an awesomelly bad idea apparantly, which puzzles me when it is speaking of relative short time amounts, and the extrapolation wouldn't seem to me to be much more off than the way it is handled today. But I'm sure the xperienced Devs have a little more knowledge on this than me though.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

DarkCharlie

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 12:12:29 am »

X4VI3R

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 12:42:25 am »
I think it would be nice to have Capture the Flag abilites or maps, and controllable spawn points for those maps for bases.

But my real reason for posting was that somebody said there was already a team-speak function, wtf? where is this? ty
xavier the white_ninja: - MonK
{spz}; <3 splinky_krazi_coacoa_human_chaoz_killatron

I'll let you try my WuTang Style

*SpAzZ* out nikka

MissingNo.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 03:08:30 am »
I think it would be nice to have Capture the Flag abilites or maps, and controllable spawn points for those maps for bases.

But my real reason for posting was that somebody said there was already a team-speak function, wtf? where is this? ty
Well, to chat with your team, type in "/teamchat 'Your message'"

Spoon

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 04:03:19 am »
Which is rubbish.

I don't want to type : i /teamchat "bnlablablaba"

I want to press o instead and have the teamchat already up. Teamchat is only useful for instant messaging if it's fast enough to be worth doing.

Some things I'd like to know about: can we have an increased amount of text available to write in one go? It's something I'm used to but would love to see 'fixed' - I hate only being able to write half a sentence before starting a new message

Reduced freezing when clicking local play/player profiles? I click either of those options accidentally instead of 'Network Play' and my game slows up for about 15 seconds.

Reduced freezing when tabbing out in windowed mode?

Notification in game settings as to whether SSH is on, and more reliable triggering of the effect? It's very buggy. It's bad enough as it is, a totally ridiculous idea that I cannot believe got let into circulation, but at least make sure players know when they're being shafted by the host, and at least make it so it doesn't flip itself on sometimes. Was playing with a guy who didn't know anything about it earlier, it was off for about 3 games. Then the last game we played it was on, I asked about it and he had no idea what it was. I don't think he was lying to me, he was a real life friend I introduced to the game.

Less hostility from certain Developers? It's ****ing annoying seeing certain good-willed posts get irate little comments from a dev or two in particular who get shitty with the player for trying to share ideas.

DarkCharlie

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 09:18:30 am »
Which is rubbish.

I want to press o instead and have the teamchat already up. Teamchat is only useful for instant messaging if it's fast enough to be worth doing.

Some things I'd like to know about: can we have an increased amount of text available to write in one go? It's something I'm used to but would love to see 'fixed' - I hate only being able to write half a sentence before starting a new message

Reduced freezing when clicking local play/player profiles? I click either of those options accidentally instead of 'Network Play' and my game slows up for about 15 seconds.

Reduced freezing when tabbing out in windowed mode?

Notification in game settings as to whether SSH is on, and more reliable triggering of the effect? It's very buggy. It's bad enough as it is, a totally ridiculous idea that I cannot believe got let into circulation, but at least make sure players know when they're being shafted by the host, and at least make it so it doesn't flip itself on sometimes. Was playing with a guy who didn't know anything about it earlier, it was off for about 3 games. Then the last game we played it was on, I asked about it and he had no idea what it was. I don't think he was lying to me, he was a real life friend I introduced to the game.

Less hostility from certain Developers? It's ****ing annoying seeing certain good-willed posts get irate little comments from a dev or two in particular who get shitty with the player for trying to share ideas.

1) Teamchat: perhaps; because only beta 3+ servers support it, I am not sure if we should make it so easy... People would get confused if it did not work on certain servers.
2) Unlimited amount of text in beta4
3) Freezing fixed in beta4
4) That SSH ideas are nice and will be added

pelya

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 09:47:08 am »
Hey, I ain't no shitty! I'm constructive all the way around  :P .
Timelimit already added? Huh? Oh, there is option "TimeLimit" in cfg/options.cfg file  :) just no GUI element for it  ;D
I've just checked the code - this option is not used anywhere, so it's useless to change it  :P

Gaston

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 07:20:11 pm »
1) Teamchat: perhaps; because only beta 3+ servers support it, I am not sure if we should make it so easy... People would get confused if it did not work on certain servers.

I just got one question. When will this backwards compability madness stop? I mean, I know Albert is very hung on the idea of having compability to every imaginable version of lx there is, but what happends is that it really screws up features such as this in the long run. Features which would have been great, if there actually was made a version that wasn't compatible with the mess that JasonB left behind. (no offence meant to Jason, but it wasn't the tidiest code every relased).

Now I realize that OLX is still in beta stages and all. But once you've perfected it as much as you are able to, wouldn't it be better to have a version that didn't have any backwards compability so you wouldn't have to test EVERY feature vs  20 other versions that people are currently using. It's gotten to the point for me, that I don't use newer OLX versions relased any more because all of them seems to have a bunch of flaws connected with older versions that needs to be fixed.

Backwards (or forward, whatever is correct) compability is all well and good. But when it is hindering the development progress of a game, as it is doing in OLX currently (though maybe not in Hirudo, if there is actually a plan to not make it compatible with every other version as well), where it all becomes one huge soup of a mess, really is a road to take that frankly requires very much unecessary work to do if there is ever a plan to relase the game from the original source relased.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

DarkCharlie

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 07:39:14 pm »

X4VI3R

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 10:58:52 pm »
Which is rubbish.

Yeah, exactly. Could we get an option for a button?
xavier the white_ninja: - MonK
{spz}; <3 splinky_krazi_coacoa_human_chaoz_killatron

I'll let you try my WuTang Style

*SpAzZ* out nikka

Morby

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 11:48:14 pm »
add spectate mode then, so players don't need to wait for it to open

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 01:38:07 pm »
Added nr 21.

21. Make so you allways see what weapon you have, I mean the text over your worm when you  change your weapon.
I know you see it in the down right corner, but its too small and you have to concentrate on what ur doing, so its better to have it over your worm.
(on and off)

The MooSeR

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 01:41:59 pm »
You do have text above your head when you change weapon...
Or was you saying "ALWAYS have text above your head so you know what weapon you've equipped?
If so, would that be irritating in-game?  :-\
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 02:09:21 pm »
I mean allways, and I said it should have an on/off button.

Hatten

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 02:52:44 pm »
could i add one here? =D

22. Make it possible to have the lives in the bottom thingy (the one with map, conversation,wpn & health) instead of in the upper part of the screen? i think its very disturbing to have it there and i prefer a little more sight than to see my lives (making me unaware of when i got low amount of lives)
I don't do unintentionall mistakes.

Griffin

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 08:42:27 pm »
could i add one here? =D

22. Make it possible to have the lives in the bottom thingy (the one with map, conversation,wpn & health) instead of in the upper part of the screen? i think its very disturbing to have it there and i prefer a little more sight than to see my lives (making me unaware of when i got low amount of lives)

You can do that yourself with a little frontend editing I think..

Hatten

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 10:33:34 pm »
oh yay, i love editing files (not) and i always get it right (not), if someone bothers to do a frontend with the lives moved and such I'll probably use it.

Maybe if you when you hide the top bar, lives (fps/ping etc etc) would become visible in the bottom bar?

DarkCharlie

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 11:50:12 pm »
oh yay, i love editing files (not) and i always get it right (not), if someone bothers to do a frontend with the lives moved and such I'll probably use it.

Maybe if you when you hide the top bar, lives (fps/ping etc etc) would become visible in the bottom bar?

If you find space for it...

albert

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 01:10:42 pm »
Please add feature requests in the feature request tracker at SF: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=180059&atid=891651

That is much easier to get an overview, to avoid double request, to mark done requests as done, to set the priority and to discuss the requests seperatly.

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 09:59:11 am »
*1st post updated

It has comed to my attention that some of my request has actually been heard to maybe?  ;D
Spawntime is added and an unstable version of map downloading. Its good to see that the developers listen to the community.

Anyways, I have little bug report.
If you set lives to infinite then player wich doesnt have B4 can quite often spawn and the camera is in spectate mode. So  that is very annoying. Ive tested this, and is the life setting that causes this.

If you play Team Deathmatch with Max Kills, then the kills doesnt count as a team!! This is something that really should changed in my opinion. So atm the game ends when a player reaches the max kills...

I have got some crashes when i host and try to bring bots in as well.

BTW, I really must say that the autokick in the weapon selection is realy good! This way when i do a dedicated server it will be no problem :D. And the spawn options is really neat as well, to be able to set the spawn time and such makes game modes such as DM and TDM better to play!

Good work devs

NightShade

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:40 am »
I admire you for your creativity and time KJack =)
Nice job =)

Don't you people dare to criticize him!!!  >_<

Magni

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 03:34:16 pm »

Creativity, right, those things exist in most successful competitive shooters/rts:s.

Btw, TDM and DM ut style phails if you spawn with fully reloaded weapons. So a option to give you empty weapons when you spawn would be cool. It would probably not be backwards compatible (correct me if I'm wrong).

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 06:30:21 pm »

Creativity, right, those things exist in most successful competitive shooters/rts:s.

Btw, TDM and DM ut style phails if you spawn with fully reloaded weapons. So a option to give you empty weapons when you spawn would be cool. It would probably not be backwards compatible (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes I'm aware of that Magni, that is why I use B4's newest option, spawn time. If I set the spawn time to 10-30 seconds, then TDM and DM will be much more fun. Cause if you have spawn time, then  you dont do those suicides just to get some kills and spawn with full health.

Griffin

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 06:53:53 pm »

Can be done. For anyone thinking of actually doing it, you would need to modify the spawn code of worms probably in the server::spawn() (worm::spawn() if not) function, to set the charge to 0 and do a stat update on the worm. The stat update is probably done automatically on the newer OLXs but in the interest of saving the user from seeing they have 100 charge for a moment it would be good to send the packet straight away.

And yes I did just think that up off the top of my head. :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:57:46 pm by Griffin »

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 05:59:40 pm »
Another bug i found out.

I was hosting, then i started game.

Then i typed suicide 100

Then i couldnt type or shoot, I could ninja rope and move. I could see all players and their movements but i didnt see shooting. But it seems they did die cuz sometimes they teleported to new location. And I think I couldnt die either.

miri

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 06:18:45 pm »
Another bug i found out.

Then i typed suicide 100

Then i couldnt type or shoot, I could ninja rope and move. I could see all players and their movements but i didnt see shooting. But it seems they did die cuz sometimes they teleported to new location. And I think I couldnt die either.

Maybe you got stuck between 2 dimensions? xD

[Cop] miri

Hatten

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 08:42:06 pm »
http://lxalliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=7338.0

Link to where you should report bugs, and another link to the feature request.

Griffin

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:43 pm »
Another bug i found out.

Then i typed suicide 100

I can't give a perfect answer to why that happens, but I get it too and it generally occurs when LOADS of data gets sent, ie inhuman wants join spamming mass suicides or 0lt with 8 players and laser combo.

Mr. FTW

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 02:09:14 am »
Arn't most of these things from Counter strike

'KJack.mp3

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 02:11:34 am »
Im not a big fan of counterstrike though I've had played it.
But I think I get most of my ideas from games like UT2004, Quake series, Soldat and other high quality games.

pelya

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »
I want to remove the connect-during-game feature 'cause it's buggy, and add instead spectate-during-game (that is, you can connect but you're dead and out of game initially). So the question is: does someone using connect-during-game and want it to stay?
It has comed to my attention that some of my request has actually been heard to maybe?  ;D
Spawntime is added and an unstable version of map downloading. Its good to see that the developers listen to the community.
Some other requested features are implemented. Please test them and especially file downloading and updating dirt from server ( I think it's rock solid stable, though other devs have different opinions  :P ). And tell how often Beta4 crashes for you.

DarkCharlie

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 03:28:35 pm »
I want to remove the connect-during-game feature 'cause it's buggy, and add instead spectate-during-game (that is, you can connect but you're dead and out of game initially).

Also wanted to suggest it to you  ;) No zombie worms etc. will be needed then  8)

Griffin

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 04:39:39 pm »
I want to remove the connect-during-game feature 'cause it's buggy, and add instead spectate-during-game (that is, you can connect but you're dead and out of game initially).

Also wanted to suggest it to you  ;) No zombie worms etc. will be needed then  8)

Oh my I know a  way around that I just haven't got around to telling you or adding it to the OLX source.

Send the zombie worms as usual at the beginning of the start game function, but send CLLEFT packets for them at the end of it, that way they're invisible to the user.

Also the zombie worms would still be needed for watching, at least for 0.56 clients.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:49:00 pm by Griffin »

DarkCharlie

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 06:18:21 pm »

Oh my I know a  way around that I just haven't got around to telling you or adding it to the OLX source.

Send the zombie worms as usual at the beginning of the start game function, but send CLLEFT packets for them at the end of it, that way they're invisible to the user.

Also the zombie worms would still be needed for watching, at least for 0.56 clients.

.56 clients don't have to have a clue there are some spectators. They won't appear in the game, so they don't have to be simulated.

Griffin

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 07:09:23 pm »
Hmm.. Fair enough I guess.

pelya

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2008, 11:06:05 am »

Hey, I'm doing just that, and it even worked on my local machine. But in real-life conditions zombies are leaking anyway, and server becomes unstable overall.
Watching won't require zombies I think - as long as worms won't spawn or shoot their data structures may stay uninitialized and won't crash .56 clients. As the last resort I may postpone sending WORMINFO packet to existing clients 'till the game is over.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up