Trick or Treat v0.4 – 100lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Self defense?  (Read 7889 times)

Gaston

Re: Self defense?
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 11:43:24 pm »
USA isn't the most powerfull country in the world anymore. It has one of the biggest debts in the world. The army is not amongst the best one in the world, though it is rather big. The government doesn't have too much support amongst the people either. The only reason USA go about the way they go, is because they got support from much of the western world. And those who doesn't support them, don't speak up much for their views.

I would argue that China is much more powerfull than USA at the moment. And they're continually beating USA in almost every aspect they try. They though, know how to take care of their own resources, and be productive, and not lose people, or workforce to foreign countries. Thus they have no need to invade other nations to gain resources from that. So in essence, I'd say that USA is the big showoff (waging wars all around the place), but China would have no problems setting USA in their place if they had a motivation to do so.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Adam

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 11:53:56 pm »
Gaston, I'm sorry, but being the economist that I am, I cannot agree with any of your statements regarding USA's economy and military.

Just some food for thought - if America is such a showoff, why do all financial markets follow USA's stock exchange and economic trends? Try to find the answer yourself.
Quote from: Asrack
I missed inturpreted that wrong than.
Gezz.

Spoon

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 12:16:34 am »
Gaston, I'm sorry, but being the economist that I am, I cannot agree with any of your statements regarding USA's economy and military.

Just some food for thought - if America is such a showoff, why do all financial markets follow USA's stock exchange and economic trends? Try to find the answer yourself.

We're getting dangerously close to someone linking Zeitgiest and world conspiracy theories. Watch it guys, I don't want a repeat episode of Charlie '54!

On the OP: The guys who tried robbing a shop/whatever, with a gun, loaded or not - deserve to be shot. To be brutally honest, anyone so ridiculously inconsiderate to try and make someone believe you're going to shoot them, just so they'll give you some money (not even a large amount..) is not worthy of living alongside the human race.

If you're stupid enough to carry a gun and threaten someone with it, it's your own fault for getting shot.

I agree in the morality of the first shopkeeper being questionable, if he realised the gun wasn't loaded then that's reason NOT to shoot him. Personally it'd be the other way around. If i realised it was loaded, I'd prefer he got shot than me. Self preservation.

The pepper spray thing - owned tbh. You walk in with a handgun and get beaten up and peppersprayed, it's an example of idiocy. I don't understand how anyone could have sympathy for anyone that stupid. If someone humiliated you by walking to you and trying to steal something you own, or work to protect (effectively what a shopkeeper does among other things) then I fully agree that you should use any force necessary to protect yourself and what you live/work for. Pepper Spraying someone who tries to rob a shop is more a case for ''lol, owned.'' than ''gosh shouldn't he be given 12 years in prison for GBH and assault?''.

There was a large issue with it in England recently. Firearms are not available legally here, but you are allowed to own (strict laws about transporting it and where you're allowed to 'carry' it) a shotgun for game hunting (it's a regocnised sport, you must undergo solid background checks before you'er given a license though - my dad has a shotgun for clay pidgeon shooting etc). There was a farmer who had a shotgun for killing foxes eating his chickens etc. etc. There was a teenager who kept breaking into his house and stealing things. It was in the middle of the countryside where there are hardly any police forces - certainly no one could be bothered to help this farmer. So one day he had enough, he shot the teenager.The teenager didn't die or anything, but he then took the farmer to court. Yes, teenager took farmer to court, because farmer shot teenager while teenager was breaking into his home for the nth time.  Nearly everyone in Britain, being the nation we are, said felt the farmer was right to shoot him.

Young or not, if you repeatedly break the law and show no respect for your fellow man, you deserve to be shown none in return.

Live by the sword, die by the sword - in a modern context.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:24:53 am by Spoon »

lexon

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:46 am »
Live by the sword, die by the sword - in a modern context.
Swords aren't modern, it's more Live by the gun, die by the gun.

Spoon

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 03:53:16 pm »
Um. Live by the sword.. is the phrase. I'm not going to change the phrase to fit the context when I just specified I meant it in that capacity.

FOOL!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 03:56:42 pm by Spoon »

Gaston

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 04:46:24 pm »

Because of the fact that America is such a showoff, albeit with power. I'm not saying USA isn't powerfull. They are, and they are the biggest influence on the western world today, much because they are a "showoff", and also because of the impact they have had on the western world. But the US economy is one that should be avoided at all costs, because if goodwill from other countries stop, then there is the potential that it could crash completely. atm this isn't something any western countries would want, as it'd signifigantly impact their economy also. Which is one of the reasons all this goodwill is being kept up (with the major debt US is in for example). If the focus shift from USA to somewhere else, this goodwill may not be shown to such a degree any longer, and then US may begin to struggle.

The growth of US economy is stalling though, and other countries (namely Asian) keep a nice and steady growth rate. "We" are simply used to following the american market, but more and more people and economists are noticing the slack in USA and the growth in countries such as China. To switch from basing economy of the US to basing it of asian countires, wont happen overnight. It takes time, and the shift (if it comes) will most likely come quite a while after the money and power has shifted weight from the US to Asia. Simply because world wide economies is a time-consuming process when it comes to change, and it wont change drastically unless the change seems unavoidable. If it did, noone would be sure where to track trends from, and have something to adjust themself by. Which is IMO why the US still has such an impact on world exonomy still. Although I'll grant that it is questionable if China is stronger than USA economically, as the answer could be interpreted in several different ways, and there are many factors playing in. As I see it however, things will just shift more and more towards the Asian market from the US market over time, as it has been shifting that way on a smaller scale for quite some time already.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 04:48:51 pm by Gaston »
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up