Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Straight edge or not?  (Read 13396 times)

mr.moocky

Re: Straight edge or not?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:18 am »

ExZero

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 01:40:58 am »
No one should care about my point of view.
Why are you replying back to Spoon if you don't care? To prove him you are right? You just contradict your own words with this kind of acting.
I'm bored off my ass and posting in forums is usually a decent way to kill a few minutes while waiting for a server to open.
Thats all really :P
It is one thing that you don't care what others are saying about you but not giving a crap about other opinions is plain stupid.
mabye so,but i don't see whats wrong with it,will you completely disregard your own opinion in favor of someone you don't even know?If you would you have no right to call anyone stupid but yourself.
Less then lucky seven.

Spoon

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 03:08:58 am »
Ah ExZero - I can always rely on you for a good, tummy busting chuckle! Thank you <3

Did you actually read my post?

Spoon i was referring to kiwi as more the mentally ill child than a christian
the only reason i even mentioned christians is because several churches in neighboring counties have banned all liquor from store shelfs.
Have you ever seen a buddhist do that?No I don't think you have.

You couldn't be farther from the truth really.
I don't care if it makes me cool,and I don't care if my "mates" do it(most of which don't sleep with more than 1 woman) but,I drink booze and sleep with loose woman because i want to,and i encourage you to try it Spoon.

Why did you even bother you type that "different point of views" crap,
anyone who's ever spoken with me could tell you I don't care about anyone else's views regarding anything.
You should have been able to see that just by reading my thoughts regarding sex alone.

But Spoon,why not post how straight your edges are rather than being a nuisance.

Buddhism.. Congratulations on picking a rubbish example to back your point. I won't pretend to know much about Buddhists - but I think it's a not so much a religion as a philosophy. It's a way of life, not a society whose rules you can adhere to, a society which uses it's 'divine right' to extract power over others. Buddhism is not the sort of 'religion' to prevent people doing what they want with law. To back my point however, you can pick nearly any other well known religion and see that I am infact, correct. Islam extremists have been known to murder their own sisters/daughters if that sister/daughter wants to marry a white, non-muslim. I know someone who's brother wanted to marry a girl from a muslim family - it was all over the news when she was brutally murdered by her own family for 'disgracing their name'. Different religion, different texts, same point. Tradition for the sake of it, sex is bad, alcohol is bad. Same thing.

As for you caring - really you do. If you didn't you wouldn't be so adamant that you don't. You want to go talk to that geeky kid who has no friends because he spends all his time doing schoolwork, in the library. He's the one that doesn't care what you think.

As for sleeping around, I've not really said whether I have or haven't ever done it.. Suggesting I try it - I suggest you don't. It will be me who laughs - not you - when you get an STD. Or STI, whatever you lot call them. I've not really said I'm a 'straight edge' or not tbh. I just pointed out how ridiculous it was to make a thread like this, which was bound to end up with people like you insulting someone else because they don't hold the same values.

Thanks for proving me right :D

ExZero

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 04:41:36 am »
first-religion is a philosophy so buddism counts,also it was a random choice/first thing that came to mind
i could've easily said catholic

second-why the flying **** are you trying to spark a religious debate?
To back my point however, you can pick nearly any other well known religion and see that I am infact, correct. Islam extremists have been known to murder their own sisters/daughters if that sister/daughter wants to marry a white, non-muslim. I know someone who's brother wanted to marry a girl from a muslim family - it was all over the news when she was brutally murdered by her own family for 'disgracing their name'. Different religion, different texts, same point. Tradition for the sake of it, sex is bad, alcohol is bad. Same thing.

straight-edges are for christians and mentally ill children
yes i can see your point,a religion that kills for no reason is definatly straight edged
so from now on,sex and booze=bad,homicide=good
yay

As for the STDs,use a condom or move on with your life,
and i havnt insulted anyone except for calling you a nuisance,why?because almost every time ive posted you have to be a douchebag and find something wrong with it.
hell the only reason im even postng this now is out of boredum/curiosity of what you might say afterwards,seriously you need to get laid.
kiwi whom ive called mentally ill,ive called him worse so i don't think he minds,
but hell il go ahead and apologize for that,sry kiwi you are not mentally ill.
and christians,I'm sure there used to it by now.

The only thing ive proven is that you have no life Spoon.
But hey,if you wanna continue this lets continue over lx or msn,run or hwobag are eventually gonna get pissed or something.
Less then lucky seven.

Spoon

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 01:23:09 pm »
Catholics, another bad choice. Catholics have some incredibly strict rules about plenty of things, do you know how many people have died from or from trying to stop civil war and terrorism in Northern Ireland?

I'm not sparking a religious debate, it was you who brought Christians into it. It was a pretty moronic comment don't you agree? You can't just bash a religion because 'they're used to it' or because you feel like it. I dislike all religions, but I still enjoy poking at people who try to get laughs out of it without knowing what they're talking about. I suggest you look up Socratic Irony, there's a fairly accurate page on Wikipedia.

With regard to the point on Islam - you didn't see my point, infact you missed it entirely.

Condoms don't save you from every STD.

Me getting laid will have no effect on my post rate here. I've made about 6 posts in the last few weeks I think.. No proof of having no life - 5 minutes posting to see your reply is always worth it.

X4VI3R

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2007, 01:42:13 pm »
i actually feel spoon is right, in particular his first statement.

lol but i wont quote it

CONFUSION!
xavier the white_ninja: - MonK
{spz}; <3 splinky_krazi_coacoa_human_chaoz_killatron

I'll let you try my WuTang Style

*SpAzZ* out nikka

Gaston

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 03:59:45 pm »
That scrooge story by Charles Dickens is surely just propaganda as well...?

You know that Dickens wrote it in 1843, AKA 164 years ago from now? Society sure changed alot, but the fundamental values. A Christmas Carol is about the other people around him who all are poor while he's a selfish prick. Moocky is talking about saving money for a later, more useful use. The story is talking about saving money just because you want money and only for your personnal use.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The story deals extensively with two of Dickens' recurrent themes, social injustice and poverty, the relationship between the two, and their causes and effects. It was written to be abrupt and forceful with its message

Yes, sure it deals with that, but more than anything it deals with Scrooge himself. Scrooge is not a selfish old prick as you put it, but rather a consequense of past choices that turned out to be bad for him. If you ever read the story, you would notice that Scrooge eventually realizes how his past has tainted him, and how the choices he made as young (choose career over love for example), has followed him for the rest of his life, and made him a taint shadow of who he used to be. My reference to the story wasn't because I thought moocky would become a selfish old prick or anything like that, but to perhaps indicate that money should not be ones first priority. Happiness should. And I was also referencing it because Moocky gives the impression that women are just good for eating money and nothing more. Sure you may have to make a few sacrifices, but if the main reason you aren't looking for someone is because it costs money, the focus is completely off. The only reason one shouldn't be looking for anyone, is because one is not interested in other ones at the moment.

You covered about the money : I'd like it if you two (Gaston and Ruki) could now talk about the Time. Anyway, if he doesn't want to get involved in a relationship yet, it's his choice and you have nothing to do in that, right?

What does time got to do with it? Moocky's only reason given here was "dates=money". No time mentioned in it or anything. But sure, let's humour you. To have a girlfriend you don't have to spend 24/7 on her. Actually you can be in a casual relationship, where you are together some time in the week, maybe call eachother 1 or 2 times a week, and hang out a day in weekends when you don't have other plans. It's really not that amazingly hard to make room for a girl you really like if you want to make room for her. If you don't want, I got no problem with it, but if you like a girl, and deep inside want to make time and room for her, but you wont because of superficial reasons (money, computer time, tv time, having less "free" time etc) I'd say something is wrong.

Also.

ExZero: Your attmepts to discuss, using ad hominem ("Ad Hominem" in a nutshell: calling people names), and use the good old "I'm just discussing cause I'm bored,  I don't care, you should get a life etc" shines through your posts. They have nothing to do with the discussion really, and are only futile attempts to win a discussion where you defend an undefendable statement. So let's look at your undefendable statement, shall we?

You say your opinion loud and clear. Part of your opinion is that you don't care about others opinions. Fair enough, nothing wrong there really. THEN you make the masterstroke of saying that while all other opinions are unvalid for you, YOUR OPINION should be valid for everyone else. Which is basic self-glorifying. You know what is right for everyone else, and they have no clue what is right for you. Which really is undefendable, because not only is it contradictory to the ultimate, but it shows that you care. If you didn't care, you wouldn't try to push your opinion onto others.

Then there's the misconceptions about Buddhism. As always, this is not the first dicussion proclaiming that Buddhism is a religion/philisophy of life. It's one of many. And the general concensus is that Buddhism is both. It depends on the person. Since Buddhism is such a free type of belief/philosophy, it means very different things to different people. Some use it as a philosophy of life, and some use it as a religion, so in a nutshell, it's both.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Spoon

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 05:16:35 pm »
Gaston, I am right in thinking Buddhism is not the sort of 'religion' (call it what you will) to hold power over a state and enforce laws adhering to it's own rules?

In the sense that Catholics hold sway in Northern Ireland so that no one is allowed to have divorces or abortions - great for a protestant woman married to a drunken wife-beater who can't get divorced because of catholic belief, or any other religion forcing it's rules upon a country as a whole, Muslims or Protestants being other big contenders there, in their own respective states.

Gaston

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 05:55:04 pm »
Gaston, I am right in thinking Buddhism is not the sort of 'religion' (call it what you will) to hold power over a state and enforce laws adhering to it's own rules?

Well, Buddhism like many other religions has different interpertations. The "modern" Buddhists pretty much follows a few basic scriptures (like the 8 fold path, meditation, the golden middleway etc), and after that they pretty much decide what they believe themself. Then you have the Buddhistic monks who tries to lead a life that is as near as possible to spiritual perfection so they may reach a "God" status (God does not mean "creator" here, but rather something to the effect of temporary nirvana) or the final status of Nirvana.

And like almost all other religions, Buddhism has been used by people with power to give them more money. And while Buddhism does not really contain any specific gods in it, there is room for them due to the belief system being very open, and a few times through history, buddhism has been a religion where a god was worshipped and that god was in desperate need of cash apparantly etc.

Anyway, it really depends on how you define buddhism and what buddhistic scripture you accept as "real" buddhistic scripture. Although the driving opinion in buddhism seems to be the less scripture you follow slavishly, the better.

But basically, Buddhism has been the name of religions that has been used by mighty men to promote their own agendas. It is not completely withouth a violent history either, so Buddhism has been used as a tool for governments in the past, but one could argue that those weren't the true forms of Buddhism, and thus "real" Buddhism never got any dirt like that. So it's very hard to answer a question like that, because the answer could be very different depending on the persons interpretations of Buddhism.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Pathos

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2007, 06:14:05 pm »
How does straight edge have anything do with religion?
"I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees." ~HH

Desmond

• 5 4 5 8 7 7 5 5 4 3 7 7 6 1 1 3 <-- the first music title! (aint it gay and lovely Haze)
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +80/-16
  • 3488 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Desmond
  • Beautiful madness.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 06:22:28 pm »

Common form of fallacy : if you don't "drink-smoke-take weed-do illegal stuff-etc", you are a good little catholic boy that goes to the church every sunday. So now they found a way to start arguing on Buddhism, which is hella off-topic. Yeye, Buddhism is a way of living. Plant a seed and you will happily harvest fruit. We are the cause of our own sufferings. Blablabla. Gaston, COME ON!

Alma

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 07:19:45 pm »
Hmm, too lazy to check again but one post bothered me a bit...

A smoking period in your life is called stupidness not experience!

I know LOTS of people who drink and smoke just to be cool..Eh no, wait, I better wont say anything

Gaston

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 07:50:46 pm »

Common form of fallacy : if you don't "drink-smoke-take weed-do illegal stuff-etc", you are a good little catholic boy that goes to the church every sunday. So now they found a way to start arguing on Buddhism, which is hella off-topic. Yeye, Buddhism is a way of living. Plant a seed and you will happily harvest fruit. We are the cause of our own sufferings. Blablabla. Gaston, COME ON!

Yes, I am terribly sorry for trying to answer questions. How unreasonable of me! I also fail to see where I ever implied that one is straight edge when one is religious. Infact, I'll dig up a quote from what I said earlier in the thread:

To whoever thought that christians are straight edged: Most people who call themself christians, are not straight edged in that aspect. They may try to give that impression, but deep down they're usually not much different than others really. Obviously there are some who are more than others, but that goes for every group in our society.

I hope that clears up any misunderstandings. So perhaps instead of throwing random insults around, that has nothing to do with nothing at all, you could give an argument that actually has something to do with what has actually been said in this thread...?
26 Mars 2007

ExZero

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:37 pm »
Quote from: Gaston
ExZero: Your attmepts to discuss, using ad hominem ("Ad Hominem" in a nutshell: calling people names), and use the good old "I'm just discussing cause I'm bored,  I don't care, you should get a life etc" shines through your posts.
The only people whom ive called names are Kiwi and Spoons,but i will try to stop.
I took back what i said about Kiwi but Spoons really is a nuisance,
he keeps posting things in contrast to anything i say knowing full well I AM going to reply back,he could stop saying anything right now and this thread could get back to what it was ment for originally but until he wins a pointless argument hes going to keep posting trying to contradict everything i say and im going to post right back.
Apparently my posting back must meen i actually care enough about this to continue speaking,no not really,im pretty much only still posting here just out of curiosity  to see what Spoons will say in regard to my next statement,its usually good for a laugh.
If he would stop posting i wouldnt have a reason to continue either.

Quote from: Gaston
THEN you make the masterstroke of saying that while all other opinions are unvalid for you, YOUR OPINION should be valid for everyone else
Quote from: Me
No one should care about my point of view.
Yes i see your point,rather than saying no one should care i should ask why would someone care about my opinion even if i don't care for there answer?
Quote from: Spoons
I'm not sparking a religious debate, it was you who brought Christians into it.
i said it in regard to kiwis "losers and emos" statement which is just as bad as what i said about Christians,
and it would've ended right there but you had to debate about it,I even said why of all things i picked it,because Christians pulled liquor from stores here,liquor which actually has some bearing on what this thread is about,
you didnt have to do a followup story about Muslims killing people out of tradition just because i mentioned Christians.
The only reason i even mentioned Buddhists and Catholics was because you had to bring up other religions.
Less then lucky seven.

Gaston

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 12:19:12 am »
you might say afterwards,seriously you need to get laid.

The only thing ive proven is that you have no life Spoon.

So you only called two people names in this thread? Amazing. I got no words.

ExZero, here is a nice little quote from you, where you so nicely presents your opinions as if people should care. The first one is a common discussion technique, used to belittle the other person, with appeal to "group mentality" (suggesting someone needs to do something, due to it being the norm for the group. And another one as if it is proven and it is absolute for everyone else. In reality it is just an opinion disguised as fact.

26 Mars 2007

Ruki

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 12:52:29 am »
Religious people often follow to certain rules which allow them no drinking, ****ing and taking drugs. They hardly break a rule and do everything to conform.

ExZero

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 01:10:23 am »
So you only called two people names in this thread? Amazing. I got no words.

ExZero, here is a nice little quote from you, where you so nicely presents your opinions as if people should care. The first one is a common discussion technique, used to belittle the other person, with appeal to "group mentality" (suggesting someone needs to do something, due to it being the norm for the group. And another one as if it is proven and it is absolute for everyone else. In reality it is just an opinion disguised as fact.
well i only called 2 people names that i can see,if you can point out another one(s) il be happy to apologize to whomever it is

Now then,i didn't try to appeal with group mentality.
I simply said he needed to get laid which is basically just a harsh version of saying he needs to get a life.
In regards to my saying he has no life,what person would come to a forum look over someone post and try to make some moronic discussion out of something so small as saying Christians are straight edged.
Why would someone who dislikes all religion even want to do something like that?
Less then lucky seven.

Asrack

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 01:14:31 am »
Saying, "losers and emos" is different from religion.
Saying someone needs a life is different. The reason you are getting commented at is because you should not sterotype religious people. Everyone is different, and just ebcause they follow a certian book and was baptised under a certian religion dosent mean they are straight edge. Or at least one point you made.

Saying someone needs a life, is just a hide up for not having one for yourself. I seen it many times on WoW. Many people would say you need a life, but they are the same people who spend hours and hours online. It's a ridiculus comment.

Also, looking to get the last word in, is kinda childish. I would take this time to just realise it's pointless to argue about it, and just stop now.
But I am just an innocent bystander.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:18:29 am by Asrack »

ExZero

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2007, 01:56:36 am »
Saying, "losers and emos" is different from religion.
Saying someone needs a life is different. The reason you are getting commented at is because you should not sterotype religious people. Everyone is different, and just ebcause they follow a certian book and was baptised under a certian religion dosent mean they are straight edge. Or at least one point you made.
kiwis "losers and emos" comment is just as stereotypical,its the reason i even wasted a whole 2 seconds to comment about it in the first place,but kiwi was the main focus and Christianity was just along for the ride and oddly enough kiwi wasn't offended but the religion hater was.

Saying someone needs a life, is just a hide up for not having one for yourself. I seen it many times on WoW. Many people would say you need a life, but they are the same people who spend hours and hours online. It's a ridiculus comment
This isnt WoW for one.
The only time i spend hours and hours online is late at night when i have nothing better to do,usually spend it bored out of my mind looking for something to amuse me(thats how i found this thread to begin with)for a few minutes or talking over msn.

Im already aware how pointless this is,ive already said we can stop,i just want to read the things people comes up with in response to what i say.
Less then lucky seven.

Some Random Ock

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 02:02:26 am »
I believe that I am but I dont have any rules that I follow.

I just like being in control of my body. It just doesnt feel good when im not.

If a one night stand happens, I wont have any gripes, lol. Life is about experiences. I wouldnt make a habit of it, though.

I also smoke. brands always change, it all tastes like smoke to me. I just do it to relax my body when I start on a big homework assignment or when Im about to sleep. One pack will last me about 3.5 weeks and I ALWAYS brush my teeth aftwerwards. dont smoke inside, either. also, I give cigs away to bums in my town, too. heh.

drugs, i dont much care for. same with booze. I like control. If others like doing these things I dont have a problem with it. I live life rationally and anything I dont personally agree with I dont try to stop, I just live with my own personal private beliefs and expect others to do the same.

On rare occasions I will drink a bit. This does not happen often, though. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

anything