Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Straight edge or not?  (Read 13244 times)

Pathos

Straight edge or not?
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:54:26 am »
Straight edge means that you do not smoke, drink, do drugs(includes marijuana), have one night stands with random girls.  I was wondering if I was the only one to abide by this. 

So are any of you guys out there straightedge?
"I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees." ~HH

Asrack

Re: Straight edge or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 04:48:44 am »
So, being a none-straightedge is someone below the drinking age of your country, who does drugs, has lots of sex with women, and gets high. I know of those, but I choose only to drink. Drugs are terrible, I don't drink to get drunk, and well the sex, if I was getting it more than I do now, I wouldn't be here. :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:23:32 am by Asrack »

Spoon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 05:03:38 am »
Does being Straight Edge also require that deep deep down, you think you're better than everyone else who succumbs to the pleasures of Drugs? You could just say drugs really, seeing as alcohol and nicotine are both drugs, same as marijuana or heroin.

I think there's also a Queens of the Stone Age song about love being a drug.

MissingNo.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 05:21:46 am »
So, straightedge is someone below the drinking age of your country, who does drugs, has lots of sex with women, and gets high. I know of those, but I choose only to drink. Drugs are terrible, I don't drink to get drunk, and well the sex, if I was getting it more than I do now, I wouldn't be here. :)
I don't believe so. It's somebody who doesn't drink, regardless of age, doesn't do drugs, doesn't have one-night stands, etc.

Asrack

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:22:53 am »
I meant to put not. :P

I am getting at rebellious teenager.

Spectro

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:57:06 am »
I'm proudly not straight-edge.

I have too curious of a mind and body to go through life without experiencing things that are plenty safe to experience. The humored curiosity and priceless times that come with *some* drugs are worth stepping out of conservative boundaries in my opinion. Cocaine, heroine, crack, meth... bad idea. Don't **** with addictive substances and they won't **** with you. Be responsible with your endeavors and all you can possibly do is grow as a person. My outlook on sex is different... it's a special thing, so I'll keep it for somebody truly special.

I despise that categorization of "drugs, sex, and rock and roll." They have not a damn thing to do with one another!

Oxygen

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:09:44 am »
Straight edged, curved edges are for losers and emos.

Sex- It's special Im not gonna waste my first time one some random chick.

Drugs-Mate they mess with you I got a freind whose gone clean for a month and he's way more cool now.

Alcohol-I like it, but I never want to get drunk because you look like some kind of Mentally impaired person(Fine personed just does'nt cut the mustard, RuN). It's real try hard and your just so stupid and you fall over heaps and vomit and what not... Well Im just speaking about what I know of the stereotype and what not...

ExZero

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:01:37 am »
I'm a broken-edge,and proud to be one.
straight-edges are for christians and mentally ill children

alcohol-yes please

drugs-my only problem is the possibility of getting arrested

sex-as much as possible until i get into another serious relationship
Less then lucky seven.

Ahmed

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:25 am »
I'm a straight Edge. I don't feel like I need any of those things to make my life better or even to experiment with.

Does being Straight Edge also require that deep deep down, you think you're better than everyone else who succumbs to the pleasures of Drugs? You could just say drugs really, seeing as alcohol and nicotine are both drugs, same as marijuana or heroin.

I think there's also a Queens of the Stone Age song about love being a drug.

I don't look down at people for what they do. More of there actions, if they do make bad actions in front of me though then I don't see any excuses.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:37:45 am by Legendkiller »
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

Pathos

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 02:17:37 pm »
What i mean by the sex  thing is that you do it only with someone you love.  Just had to clear that up.
"I'd rather die on my feet then live on my knees." ~HH

Spoon

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:53:25 pm »
Quote from: Spoon
Does being Straight Edge also require that deep deep down, you think you're better than everyone else who succumbs to the pleasures of Drugs?

Now read these:

Quote from: ExZero
I'm a broken-edge,and proud to be one.
straight-edges are for christians and mentally ill children

Ironically, both of these comments remind of a sort of internet forum version of religion. Not because of how most religions suggest you deal with issues like drugs, alcohol etc, but because of the way both comments are prejudiced and show pigheaded ignorance with regard to another person's views, especially if they're different to your own.

The impression you give of yourselves is that KiwiNinja is a puny little geek child who goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 6am every day no matter what, because television past 9pm has 'naughties' being screened.. While ExZero sounds like a typical wannabe rebellious teenager, who does everything he does because it's cool and all his mates do it.

The fact we can go off, rather than just impressions, is that you're both people who like to sit at your computer for hours, playing a 2d freeware game and then engage in those 'big life-questions' over a forum afterwards.

According to Kiwininja, I'm a loser and an emo because last night, a mate came round my house - we walked to the pub and sat outside by the river, had a chat over a pint of beer. I didn't get drunk or even slightly tipsy.

ExZero has a shocking lack of general knowledge with regard to religion. You wrote that post as if Christianity alone condemns drinking, drug abuse, 'sleeping around'. There are other religions you know? Just like there are other points of view to your own, which are just as important (or rather, just as meaningless) as your own, as mine, as KiwiNinja's, as Bart's, as Spectro's, as that strange guy who lives in my street..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 02:57:01 pm by Spoon »

Duality

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 04:34:17 pm »
My neighbours are Straight edged,and they happen to be my good friends aswell,doesen't mean I am tough!

So your weak?

Quote from: KiwiNinja on Today at 08:09:44 AM

The impression you give of yourselves is that KiwiNinja is a puny little geek child who goes to bed at 9pm and gets up at 6am every day no matter what, because television past 9pm has 'naughties' being screened..

Just replace your name with Kiwis :>

Gaston

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 06:06:01 pm »
To whoever thought that christians are straight edged: Most people who call themself christians, are not straight edged in that aspect. They may try to give that impression, but deep down they're usually not much different than others really. Obviously there are some who are more than others, but that goes for every group in our society.

As for myself. Technically I am pretty straight edged when it coems to all drugs. This comes from me having bad experiences with them as a child, and me observing my familys inability to control habits with drugs, which makes me abstain from them. Though, my view has changed a little lately, so I probably wouldn't say no to a beer if the circumstances allowed for it (I wasn't driving or anything like that). As for sex, I'm not the kind of guy to have one-night stands or have affairs with girls I don't really like. I'm very picky in that departement to be fair. Also, my atm very unactive sexlife is probably neatly tied to me never enjoying alchohol in any quantities that will make me lose self-control to any big extent.

But basically, I think being straight edged or not are just stupid terms. People are whoever they are, and in my opinion one should be true to what oneself thinks, not what everyone else thinks. I for one, am not going to be an android that is driven by the outspoken opinions of the community, so I am only choosing my own path here. I wish others would do as well, and tolerate that most other paths are just as valid for everyone.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

mr.moocky

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:49:12 pm »

Gaston

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:35:07 pm »
I'm too young for one night stands, and getting sex seems just a waste of time and money, girlfriends = dates = money, blah blah blah.

Indeed, I mean, if you have the choice between getting it on with a girl you really fancy and saving a few hundred bux, it's obvious that the money will be best in the long run. You know, you NEVER hear about old folks who have saved money all their life, who regret they didn't spend any or had any fun with them when they were younger. That scrooge story by Charles Dickens is surely just propaganda as well...?
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Ruki

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 11:46:13 pm »
You know, you can always get some extra work and get some extra money to spend on a girl. And with work you will also make up for the later sin.

Did you ever jaywalk? Did you throw a piece of paper on the floor at some point of your life?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:49:24 pm by Ruki »

Desmond

• 5 4 5 8 7 7 5 5 4 3 7 7 6 1 1 3 <-- the first music title! (aint it gay and lovely Haze)
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +80/-16
  • 3488 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Desmond
  • Beautiful madness.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 11:57:05 pm »
That scrooge story by Charles Dickens is surely just propaganda as well...?

You know that Dickens wrote it in 1843, AKA 164 years ago from now? Society sure changed alot, but the fundamental values. A Christmas Carol is about the other people around him who all are poor while he's a selfish prick. Moocky is talking about saving money for a later, more useful use. The story is talking about saving money just because you want money and only for your personnal use.

Quote from: Wikipedia
The story deals extensively with two of Dickens' recurrent themes, social injustice and poverty, the relationship between the two, and their causes and effects. It was written to be abrupt and forceful with its message

You know, you can always get some extra work and get some extra money to spend on a girl. And with work you will also make up for the later sin.
Totally agree, but yet...

I'm too young for one night stands, and getting sex seems just a waste of time and money, girlfriends = dates = money, blah blah blah.

You covered about the money : I'd like it if you two (Gaston and Ruki) could now talk about the Time. Anyway, if he doesn't want to get involved in a relationship yet, it's his choice and you have nothing to do in that, right?

ExZero

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2007, 12:38:39 am »
Spoon i was referring to kiwi as more the mentally ill child than a christian
the only reason i even mentioned christians is because several churches in neighboring counties have banned all liquor from store shelfs.
Have you ever seen a buddhist do that?No I don't think you have.

While ExZero sounds like a typical wannabe rebellious teenager, who does everything he does because it's cool and all his mates do it.

You couldn't be farther from the truth really.
I don't care if it makes me cool,and I don't care if my "mates" do it(most of which don't sleep with more than 1 woman) but,I drink booze and sleep with loose woman because i want to,and i encourage you to try it Spoon.

Why did you even bother you type that "different point of views" crap,
anyone who's ever spoken with me could tell you I don't care about anyone else's views regarding anything.
You should have been able to see that just by reading my thoughts regarding sex alone.

But Spoon,why not post how straight your edges are rather than being a nuisance.
Less then lucky seven.

Ruki

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 12:43:56 am »
Time is a simplicity here. You waste gallions of time every day. If you can even say that... To rephrapse it, you spend a lot of your time doing something less important than something you could be doing. Or simply put you could get better result with work you refused to do. An example: you waste the day by checking LXA and playing LieroX. You waste your time watching TV. You waste most of the time in school, but lets say that's neccessary. Here it comes to prioritizing and making a time table. You don't need to throw all that away in exchange for a girl. Give up few games of lieroX, check LXA twice instead of 3 times, skip the lame TV show you don't even watch regularly. Time should not be a problem. As much as you desire for a girl to be close to you, you urge for a space to breath. Totally reversible. You might also choose wisely. To have a girl in same school or living 2 houses next to you can have many advantages. Also some disadvantages, but noone will ever bother you about that grade you got because you didn't study because your girl was over. In this case you can spare time. First - you don't have to see each other after school so much because you see each other in school already and second - you spend time in traveling.

Ofcourse I am not pushing him to a relationship... All I'm saying is that money and time shouldn't be a problem if you wan't to commit yourself. Sooner or later you shall realise that you can't get by alone.

To get back to the money... saving money and saving money and saving money to die with a huge ammount of never spent money. Congratulations, you turned your kids into lazy buttscratchers because they will get your money after you die. Here is the nicest example I can put: I got these uber cool rollerblades. Really the nicest and newest and so cool. I was afraid to scratch them, break them - to ruin them so all I did was glancing at them in the box day after day until I grew older and they wouldn't fit on my feet anymore. You should always put something a side but never turn Uncle Scrooge. You never know what the next day brings...

Ruki

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2007, 12:54:49 am »
Spoon i was referring to kiwi as more the mentally ill child than a christian
the only reason i even mentioned christians is because several churches in neighboring counties have banned all liquor from store shelfs.
Have you ever seen a buddhist do that?No I don't think you have.

You couldn't be farther from the truth really.
I don't care if it makes me cool,and I don't care if my "mates" do it(most of which don't sleep with more than 1 woman) but,I drink booze and sleep with loose woman because i want to,and i encourage you to try it Spoon.

Why did you even bother you type that "different point of views" crap,
anyone who's ever spoken with me could tell you I don't care about anyone else's views regarding anything.
You should have been able to see that just by reading my thoughts regarding sex alone.

But Spoon,why not post how straight your edges are rather than being a nuisance.
Why should anyone care about your point of view then? Ofcourse you don't care, but why saying anything at all then? It is one thing that you don't care what others are saying about you but not giving a crap about other opinions is plain stupid. Not even arrogant. Why are you replying back to Spoon if you don't care? To prove him you are right? You just contradict your own words with this kind of acting.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

anything