Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion - why?  (Read 18604 times)

Ruki

Re: Religion - why?
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2007, 03:53:24 am »
1. The meaning of life is to live for a bunch of random feelings.
2. Like every hero has antagonist to fight, same is with god. If there was noone/nothing to fight, he/she/it wouldn't be a hero in first place.

MissingNo.

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2007, 03:56:12 am »
1. The meaning of life is to live for a bunch of random feelings.
2. Like every hero has antagonist to fight, same is with god. If there was noone/nothing to fight, he/she/it wouldn't be a hero in first place.
I kinda agree, but who said Satan was evil? He's bad, but not evil. Once he was cast to Hell, he wasn't a problem anymore.

Oxygen

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2007, 03:58:44 am »
The Meaning of life? Never too know it, who cares. Too many have wasted their lives in search of it and many more will. I don't care I just wanna live.

I read in some religeous book or on some religious website that hell is simply a prison for satan and thats not actually supposed to a horrible thing to other people. It's supposed to just be the jail in which he his held and like any prisoner he wants to escape. Thats all. I don't much about Satan and I don't believe in god so I don't believe in Satan either. I believe in inner demons.

Shade

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2007, 05:45:03 am »
Meaning of Life is to live each day like its your last.
Have fun.
One day you'll just be a memory for some people, do your best to be a good one.

Desmond

• 5 4 5 8 7 7 5 5 4 3 7 7 6 1 1 3 <-- the first music title! (aint it gay and lovely Haze)
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +80/-16
  • 3488 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Desmond
  • Beautiful madness.
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2007, 06:19:53 am »
Meaning of Life is to live each day like its your last.
Have fun.

That's not what it means, that's how you think it should be liven. Too much Carpe Diem is bad.

Asrack

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2007, 06:30:26 am »
And how do you know what the meaning is?

Before you go throwing stuff around, how about giving some information to support your answer. :)

Wasabi_Warrior

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2007, 06:43:38 am »

Before you go throwing stuff around, how about giving some information to support your answer. :)
Gotta hand that one 2 ya, ur right.
Who says Satan doesnt exist, and who says hell actually exists?  ???
Meaning of Life? Who cares? If we sit and think of the meaning for 2 long, u might not have any life to live left. Now, stop asking hard questions, and find urself a server to die on  :P
The chances of 1 bomb being an a plane are a one in a million.
The chances of 2 bombs being an a plane are one in a million times a million.
Next time you fly, cut the odds and bring a bomb.

MissingNo.

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2007, 06:51:43 am »

Gotta hand that one 2 ya, ur right.
Who says Satan doesnt exist, and who says hell actually exists?  ???
Meaning of Life? Who cares? If we sit and think of the meaning for 2 long, u might not have any life to live left. Now, stop asking hard questions, and find urself a server to die on  :P
No need to be moderately rude. Besides, I've already died my fair share of times today. I was just curious as to what people thought. I do agree with you though, if you think about it too much, you won't have any life to live left. What I was going to get at though is that Satan cannot be evil. Even though I'm Atheist and I don't read the Bible, it clearly says that God has to approve of what Satan does. Therefore, for Satan to be evil, God has to be equally as evil, if not more. People blame stuff on the devil all the time, which is quite dumb. The only thing that Satan has done wrong at all is rebel against God. He didn't kill anyone, he didn't rape anyone, he only did that.
The Bible contradicts itself a lot too. It's also sexist.

Wasabi_Warrior

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2007, 06:55:38 am »
I dont see why god would aprove? i mean, he is god, he is perfect, Satan disobeyed, god lets him run the world, just to prove that only god has the qualifications to do it. ALong the way Jesus steps in, and he helps god. Done. Satan has finished, he dies.

Asrack

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2007, 07:01:52 am »
mMmMm...

I dont see why god would aprove? i mean, he is god, he is perfect, Satan disobeyed, god lets him run the world, just to prove that only god has the qualifications to do it. ALong the way Jesus steps in, and he helps god. Done. Satan has finished, he dies.

Satan dosent run the world. He runs the underworld. If people sin in there life, they are sent to hell. Where Satan punishes them. Jesus in some religions is god in human form. Also, may I rememind you, he won't save us from Satan, cause Satan will not conqour Earth. His son will come, the Anti-Christ and will attempt to rule the world.

MissingNo.

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2007, 07:02:35 am »
He doesn't exactly die, he goes to Hell. Which is, more or less, a prison. I wouldn't know why he/she/it would approve, I'm just saying what the Bible said. Maybe God needs Satan to make him/her/it look good. Or maybe God is evil as well. As you said, God is perfect, that doesn't mean he/she/it is automatically good. God has to be evil as well.

Wasabi_Warrior

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2007, 07:10:38 am »
I think im gonna get annoyed here, but who cares? There are so many theories about who is what and what happens that this thread could stay alive for years to come. There is no point for me posting here if all that happens is you get contradicted. Still, im interested. . .

MissingNo.

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2007, 07:14:20 am »
I think im gonna get annoyed here, but who cares? There are so many theories about who is what and what happens that this thread could stay alive for years to come. There is no point for me posting here if all that happens is you get contradicted. Still, im interested. . .
This is what happens when you debate about religion. A lot of people contradict one another. That's why I was surprised when this topic was made. It'll probably end up getting locked after a while. I wouldn't get annoyed though and not post here ever again, I know what I believe and you know what you believe. It's just good to get more information on a topic such as this. If you don't agree, then that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree on the same thing.

Wasabi_Warrior

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2007, 07:19:10 am »
Who said i wasnt gonna post? Im just gonna watch from the sidelines tho, see what others think. . .may-b throw in a comment here and there

Oxygen

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2007, 07:21:12 am »
mMmMm...

Satan dosent run the world. He runs the underworld. If people sin in there life, they are sent to hell. Where Satan punishes them. Jesus in some religions is god in human form. Also, may I rememind you, he won't save us from Satan, cause Satan will not conqour Earth. His son will come, the Anti-Christ and will attempt to rule the world.

In latin or some other ancient language or culture (yes I am aware Latin was not a culture!) when twins were born one twin had Anti added to the start of his/her name. So let's say some twins were born. Twin one's name is Asrack twin two is Anti-Asrack. Let us now replace "Asrack" with "Christ" twin one: Christ Twin two: Antichrist.

Gaston

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2007, 11:41:53 am »
About that brain part... science uncovered some secrets of brain but not all. So my question is what did religion do here? Is there even an answer to that question (how do the brain work?) from the religious aspect?

There are answers from religions yes. But I doubt many of them would be anywhere near adequate enough to really describe what's going on up in there. But my point wasn't that religion is better than science. Far from it. Infact I think Science is preferable to 99% of the organized religions. At least when looking for answers on how our world actually seems to operate. However though, my point was that some people act as if science has uncovered all mysteries of life now, which really is as far from the truth as one can get. Science has barely scraped the surface as of yet. And with that in mind, I don't think anyone (unless they know something VERY signifigant that the public does not), are in a position to say that science has uncovered all mysterious about life and disproven God etc. etc.

Also, where is this existing proof that there is no god? I am very curious about this...
This is pointless as there is the exact equivalent opposite "Where is this existing proof that there is god?". We cannot define which question should be asked first.

Yes, I understand your question, and I've heard it dozen of times, however I was a little poor in my reference there. I meant to ask this question to Orchid, who seems to claim that science has more or less proven that God does not exist. I had no intention trying to say that people who does not believe in God, should submit proof as that discussion is completely pointless and has been done a milion times before at least.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Gaston

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2007, 11:51:24 am »
He doesn't exactly die, he goes to Hell. Which is, more or less, a prison. I wouldn't know why he/she/it would approve, I'm just saying what the Bible said. Maybe God needs Satan to make him/her/it look good. Or maybe God is evil as well. As you said, God is perfect, that doesn't mean he/she/it is automatically good. God has to be evil as well.

This is an interesting subject. If anyone has read the book of Job (which is in the bible), you'll see that God and Satan makes a bet. Job is a very rich and happy guy, and he is like the ultimate believer in God, and is really God's favourite. Then God and Satan makes a bet to see if he would believe if all he loved was taken away from him. So eventually satan takes all his riches from him, kills his whole family, but Job still believes in God, almost more now than before. So God gives him everything back 10 times except his family who is now dead of course. And Job continiues to praise the lord.

Unless I am mistaken this is the ONLY people Satan ever kills in the book that is the bible. And this is with permission from God as well. While God is responsible for many more deaths, commanding people to kill other people, killing other people directly etc. So one could ask oneself wether the bad guy in the old testamente really was God (YHWH) or if it was Lucifer, the fallen angel.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Kurt

• I came here for two things, to kick some ass and to drink some beer, looks like the beer is almost finished.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +25/-5
  • 550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kurt
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2007, 03:18:36 pm »
About evolution not being a fact->
It has tons of proof on it, hell, even animal or flower breeding is evolution, no? With such piles of evidence it's silly to still call it just a theory. Obviously it has some holes in it, but there are also proven facts.
What does christianity have about this? Only an ancient scribbling without any proof behind it. But people still believe this because it gives them ''comfort'' and ''hope''

Kray->
1) You shouldn't expound delusion as hope and faith. Hope for me means something like this - ''I hope Real Madrid wins the Champions League this year''
Real Madrid is a real football club, they take part in Champions league this year and they are pretty good. So this so-called hope of mine has some base to build it up on. Delusion, blind hope - ''I hope my heavenly father will cure my sickness''. Nothing to base that hope upon, simply denial.
2) You know, morality exist perfectly well without religion too. Religious people just hype religion because it is so morally correct and blablabla. All in all I'd say that religious extremists cause more crimes than atheists, talk about moral? I know that ''you and your family aren't extremists'', but in any christian society there is bound to be some... Besides look at the ones in third world countries. For not being a murderer or rapist, your simple incentive is that you're going to be butt-raped in jail. Also you won't be thrown out of society etc etc.
Your hilarious plans of the world collapsing without religion are nice, btw :P
3) As much as I've been into christian forums, everyone there belittles evolution theory, big bang theory and the general progress of science.
4) I heard on a documentary that a lot of american schools refuse to teach evolution. This was a few years ago though, maybe it's better now. Also, christianity will always base their values on an ancient book that is never going to change. Science bases values and beliefs on discoveries. Even the social moral values are changing (homosexual tolerance etc) but the christians still fight against everything new. Standing against progress, inserting christian propaganda into children's heads - dumbing down the society + growing a new generation of dumbasses as well.
5) Of course belief and knowledge are totally different. Master there was pointing out that they're the same though. Knowledge is not only based on what you can see, it's based on your other senses too. And science can also find out about things that our senses can't, so that's another thing. About history - I believe it. I remain skeptic about it as for one, the content highly depends on who wrote the thing and for two, I can never be sure if it's true in the first place.
About uncertainities - What is religion? One big uncertainty. Maybe I took this science praising too far, of course some things can be wrong. But science being right is so much more probable than religion being right.

Obviously people can belive in a higher power, as science hasn't and probably won't in the nearest future prove that it doesn't exist. But if you literally belive that there is a god, jesus, satan etc and that you actually go to hell if you murder someone, then you aren't being very clever. Why would you take a fairy tale literally?

Gaston->
Isn't dog and flower breeding macroevolution?

Asrack->
You can view both evolution and creatonism as a theory if you wish, but now check out which one has more proof behind it?
Religion - why not? While the bigger part of religious people are peaceful, they always have some extremists in
them. Crimes commited by extremists + the belittling of mankind's progress does not count, right? As long as some guy gets to go to church and live in delusion?

What I don't like about religious people is that the majority of them don't question their beliefs. They don't question the bible because it's 100% true obviously. They only mock scientific studies, discoveries and theories. How was progress supposed to happen if everybody was like that? People in this thread are obviously smarter than that, but that's honestly what I see when I visit a christian forum.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 03:28:27 pm by Orch!D »

Gaston

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »
About evolution not being a fact->
It has tons of proof on it, hell, even animal or flower breeding is evolution, no? With such piles of evidence it's silly to still call it just a theory. Obviously it has some holes in it, but there are also proven facts.
It's not silly to call the theory of evolution for a theory. That's what science does. The phenomenon of evolution is a scientific fact, but the theory that todays species has evolved from completely different species, is still a scientific theory. However calling it a scientific theory is not a bad thing. As a scientific theory has to hold up to scrutiny for it to remain a scientific theory. That being said, evolution is one of the strongest scientific theories we have. But keep in mind that in a worst/best (however you choose to view it) scenario, just ONE fossil is enough to whip the whole theory off it's feet, and make it fall to the ground. So even though it has very solid evidence for itself, one can never be completely sure that it actually will hold up forever.

Gaston->
Isn't dog and flower breeding macroevolution?

If you count that as evolution, then species dieing out is also macroevolution, and humans from different races as well. A better example than dog and flowerbreeding to put forward your point would be cross-species breeding. Like for example wolfs and dogs. This has happened, and has given room for a half-half species.

However, that isn't really what's meant with macroevolution by scientific standards. Macroevolution by scientific standards comes from immensly much microevolution. e.g. macroevolution wont happen naturally within a few generations. e.g. macroevolution isn't really supposed to occour so to speak. It's all microevolution, and the only way to see the macroevolution taking place would be to be able to travel through quite a big period of time. It will take much more time for it to occour so that it is very hard to observe in real time. This is at least up till now what the theory of evolution has been about. This is a grey area though, but if one is to argue that macroevolution is something that happends naturally within a few generations, very much of the theory of evolution needs to be adjusted to conform that view.
26 Mars 2007

Kurt

• I came here for two things, to kick some ass and to drink some beer, looks like the beer is almost finished.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +25/-5
  • 550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kurt
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2007, 03:59:19 pm »
Could you perhaps elaborate such a scenario? Ever since Darwin and Wallace presented the theory, all the fossil discoveries haven't still ''knocked it off it's feet''. The discoveries have supplemented the theory, not contradicted it. The discoveries have developed our minds, but the main understanding stays the same, no? Of course everything is possible, but it's not very probable that one single fossil can change the whole line of discoveries before that. It can give us new views on the subject though.

If a man picks out the finest breed examples from a pile of puppies and mates them with similar fine examples to get prettier or stronger descendants, is that not man-controlled evolution?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

anything