Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion - why?  (Read 18575 times)

Kurt

• I came here for two things, to kick some ass and to drink some beer, looks like the beer is almost finished.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +25/-5
  • 550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kurt
Religion - why?
« on: August 31, 2007, 02:28:57 am »
I think I wouldn't have to list all the cons of religion as it's pretty obvious to everyone. Could ANYONE explain to me, what are the good sides of religion? Imo it only stands in the way of science (which actually proves stuff it claims as truth, unlike the bible). As science develops, religion will probably fade away. Once science finds out, how the universe was created, religious people will have no corner stone to lean on, their great ruler did NOT create universe after all (similar thing happened to evolution, it's a proven scientific fact nowadays but most religious people still refuse to believe it)
Anyway, answer my question - what is good about religion? Discussion will follow after I get a decent answer.

Purplehaze

Re: Religion - why?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:41:19 am »
One word- Afterlife
"I know not with what weapons WWIII shall be fought with, but I know that WWIV shall be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Spoon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 02:46:11 am »
Dude. You've touched upon possibly the biggest and most important question of our time, and you'd done it such injustice it makes me a little bit sick.

There are several very very good, in-depth books out atm that deal with the subject extensively, I suggest reading some if you're interested in this topic. Hitchins' 'God is not Great' is a start.

This forum isn't the place for it, since I could not write what I want without taking up entire pages on one thread, and responses are always too dashed and not thought out to let the subject grow.

I admire that you're thinking about this with an objective view, something very few bother to do - but a hashed, unformatted paragraph doesn't take it seriously.

Ruki

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:51:30 am »
Ofcourse it depends of the observer's matter - what is good about religion for who/what. It is good for Vatican and those on high positions in every religion (power, money - money = power). It is good for believers to have something like faith (Won't go into longer explainations because the matter is clear here.). Exotic religions like buddhism (etc.) are also good for health and body. See meditation, mental/physical body training, martial arts for more info. Just few quick thoughts to name. What concrete is there good in religion for me? Laughing to jokes over religious subjects or to some religion itself.

Kurt

• I came here for two things, to kick some ass and to drink some beer, looks like the beer is almost finished.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kurt
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 03:31:06 am »
Purplehaze->
Yes, an old unexplained myth written on ancient scribblings. It makes as little sense as walking on water, turning water into wine or resurrecting. Are you willing to waste some of your life away due to blind hope towards something that is almost certainly impossible? Science is already proving that some parts of the bible are wrong, why wouldn't that be?
In my opinion religion is a remnant of time - people used to give credit to higher power for unexplainable things. Nowadays when science is improving, people should be letting go of it but they won't. It's comforting + moral support, as Ruki pointed out. But really, the harsh truth is better than the sickening delusion, even if it doesn't offer you comfort and support. Would you rather take the blue pill or the red pill?

Spoon->
I might have a look at it sometimes. Right now I'm more into Richard Dawkins and the 'God Delusion'. I like the fact how he has the courage to straightly attack religion, something which his colleague probably wouldn't do. Although, this way the religious people will take more offence and will have a harder time accepting the facts.

I thought I'd just chop this in, an example of true religious ignorance -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YjqUmuMhTsM
These people are dangerous and they try to convert more people to their extremist side every day. Quite spooky. And at least 30% of the religious people whose posts I read on teh interwebz are like that.

MissingNo.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 03:51:15 am »
Wow, I kinda can't believe there's a topic on religion. There's going to be a lot of debating in here. I could get into it, but it's just not a topic I like to dwell into. People criticize me all the time for being Atheist, but I don't even care. I do agree with Orch1D though that science actually proves stuff, and that religion may fade away. I doubt that though.

Purplehaze

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 04:17:43 am »
Yeah they did find scribblings. When I say afterlife, I'm talking about life after death, living in God's heaven. Each religion has it, but every religion is different about theirs.  But if there's no afterlife, then what is there? What's the point of living? We all spend ~80 years (if we're lucky) on this rock we call Earth as ants in a feeble solar system. Then what? We die, our brain ceases to work, and we're in the ground or cremated. So again I ask, what's the point of living if we're going to all end up like this? Chances are, none of us that view this forum will make any kind of impact on Earth.
Yeah, it's a depressing thought, but everyone needs to realize it at some point in their lives.
I pity the people that go out only for physical pleasure, and think of nothing but themselves. Life is so much deeper, 99% of the human population barely scrapes the surface of understanding the knowledge mankind has discovered or what on our Earth there actually is.
So back to Religion.
I think many people believe in a God because the thought of being in the ground in a short time is so depressing, so harsh, so realistic. The Afterlife is such a sweet sounding promise.  "Be good and you will have eternal life in Heaven."
Where do I sign up?

I'm in an emo mood now. Time to go listen to screamo and go cut.
"I know not with what weapons WWIII shall be fought with, but I know that WWIV shall be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

IRC

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 08:44:44 am »
Religion is a getaway from real life, and most of the religions are stupid. For example Islam, they believe in genocide to prove there point. I honestly think it's all bullshit, if there is a higher power why he/she let bad things like childmolesting and wifebeating happen, to prove his point? Of what. Screw god and screw religion.
Cop is my legacy.

Alma

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:12:11 am »
Before you sart flaming IRC for such words please, realise that he is drunk and didnt know what he was saying! have merci

Noone likes the feeling that we are alone in this universe. Imagine! You are just a spot! And there is noone out there?!?! (of course but dont know yet, but still)! So, when people believe in god they feel a bit safe, like they arent "just a spot" and that "someone cares" and "helps" you (and is actually watching you 24/7  >:()..and of course other things Ruki wrote

IRC my dad is muslim and i`ve never seen him killing anyone, or beeing a terrorist..actually, I`ve never seen him anywhere except in living room watching TV

Oxygen

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 11:08:52 am »
Very strong topic.

Let me introduce you to the illusion of religion. Christianity claims that god will answer prayers in 3 ways. God will not grant your prayer and we must trust he knows best, god will not answer your prayers straight away and we must wait and god will answer your prayers. So go and pray to  say...A jug of milk and ask for some money. Now there are three scenarios.

1: You get the money in one way or another and obviously praying to this jug of milk was something special.
2: Nothing happens, six months later you get the money
3: Nothing happens and you keep praying, you wonder why you haven't got any money but you must trust that the milk jug knows whats best and hope that it will happen later. You keeping waiting.

I come from a very anti-religious family. We think it makes more wars than it makes peace. Everyone goes on about racist segregation but no one thinks of the religious segregation. "You may not go out with my daughter because you don't believe in the almighty god!"

Master

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 11:34:00 am »
I do belive in God, nad people can think im stupid or whatever...i dont care. i know what i belive in and i know its true.

And god do answer to prayers!

RuNyoufool

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 11:53:59 am »
Religion is a getaway from real life, and most of the religions are stupid. For example Islam, they believe in genocide to prove there point. I honestly think it's all bullshit, if there is a higher power why he/she let bad things like childmolesting and wifebeating happen, to prove his point? Of what. Screw god and screw religion.

Don't use this type of language in here, please.
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

Benn0

• Im a lagging whore, if you see me in your server, PLEASE do not hesitate to kick me out! I HATE LAGGERZ ZOMG MORTORS!
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +33/-12
  • 1117 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Benn0
  • Amaranth
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:39:55 pm »
The reason why any religions apperared was beacuse people wanted answers, so they created their own cute transparent answers, God created this and that. I AM the messenger of God was probably the easiest way ever to gain power over a population. Just raise your own status to "God".

This whole concept is reflected thoughout the christian (catholic) history. Just take a look at the Pope and the Crusades, Zomg God commands you to conquer the HOLY land aka. Jerusalem!!!!11one! And people signed up for the army beacuse their "God" told them.

It isn't even that hard to understand present fanatics, just read through the Bible and the Koran and you'll find something like "This is the right way, and every heretic must die!" This is of course a matter of interpretation, but I'm pretty positive that most people would come to this conclusion. (Haven't read the whole Bible not the Koran though, so I'm just basing this on another article that I've read)

But yeah, This world would be a much better place if religions wouldn't exist, it's just brainwashing nowadays. Note* not the Parishes charity work and such.

Edit: Sorry for using improper language.
Zomg God commands you to conquer the HOLY land aka. Jerusalem!!!!11one!
Just to clarify one thing, I used it to strengthen the exaggeration.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 02:27:44 pm by Benn0 »
Donate rice, improve your vocabulary

Check out Outlawz - The Movie in my profile or directly on Youtube

Adam

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 12:52:56 pm »
Just take a look at the Pope and the Chrusades, Zomg God commands you to conquer the HOLY land aka. Jerusalem!!!!11one!

Can you guys please leave out the 1337/haxor speak out of such a discussion? I know Run just asked for that, but I find it too disturbing for such a serious topic. And learn your facts before you make such a statement Benno...
Quote from: Asrack
I missed inturpreted that wrong than.
Gezz.

redeye

• Love and be loved, thatís what life is about! Inspiration, fascination, happiness!
  • LXA addicted
  • Schwartz: +216/-2
  • 5569 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To redeye
  • I will make my huge comeback later :)
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 02:10:42 pm »
i think relegion isn't good for money, afterlife or w/e u guys said, i think it's to have faith, people who believe can get their energie to go on out of the faith they have in God to help them and to be there for them.
 i dont believe though.

IRC

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 02:52:12 pm »
I'm sorry if the truth is hard to hear, but someone better tell it before all commit suicide for there faith in religion.
Cop is my legacy.

Kurt

• LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Kurt
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 03:01:34 pm »
Purplehaze->
As you said, people believe in God because it comforts them. As I said before, delusion is never the way out. So you support that people take the so-called blue pill and live in eternal ignorance, slowing down mankind's progress and science? Religious people just waste some of their life away due to faith, while at the same time atheists or agnostics enjoy their life (not just physically, mentally/spiritually too) and some of them (scientists) actually help us evolve. The existance of the so-called Afterlife is merely based on blind hope, would you really want to base your life on something which is almost certainly not true? Besides, even if there was an afterlife, I'd rather be in hell with some murderers but mostly normal people, than in heaven with religious fanatics  ;D

As some of you pointed out, religion is mostly so great because it offers ''hope, comfort'' etc. But believing in something without any proper base to do so, and at the same time belittling science or anything that goes against their false arguments, is very ignorant. It would have been considered normal in the Dark Ages, but nowadays it should have no place in people's heads. As I said - it's a remnant of time. So, not only is religion in the way of progress, it's also dumbing down the believers. A perfect example of religious ignorance is Master in this thread. Buddy, learn the difference between words ''know'' and ''hope''. You know absolutely nothing, you have only blind hope. Knowledge should be based on evidence and facts. Religion is mostly based on an ancient fairy tale. I could also note the violence part, but that has been discussed about enough already.

RuN->
Please stop spamming, IRC had some kind of a (even if it's a little) point. Besides, if you would discuss religious matters with some ignorant christian, who lives in denial (see Haggard vs Dawkins video above), then you'd be pretty pissed off too ;O If you feel like warning someone for posting an arrogant/senseless post, then warn Master instead.

Amy->
What are you talking about? It's highly probable that we are NOT alone in the universe, considering it's size.
True love, care and help come from your close ones, not from a fairy tale charecter, don't you agree? :)

Oxygen

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 11:05:58 pm »
I've thought of another point. God is simply a personification for what we humans call hope. Thats a summary for most the posts that have been posted above.

Heres the video where I got the praying to a milk jug thing. Watch it and be enlightened!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk6ILZAaAMI

Aerius

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 11:16:21 pm »
i dont belive god, but i want to belive that my dead fellows are in better place now.

Edit*
i belive in karma
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:20:58 pm by Aerius »

[leke]GrassNinja

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 11:24:57 pm »
Edit*
i belive in karma

Karma has been disabled ;(

Kiwi said it, religion gives people hope.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

anything