Total servers: 4
Who's still around? (Forum Discussion ) by Qaz, August 19, 2019, 03:09:48 pm
2012 (Forum Discussion ) by Adam August 18, 2019, 08:29:56 pm
[wc] Legacy of the Toilet Warriors Tribute video (Forum Discussion ) by Adam August 18, 2019, 08:24:01 pm
Holidays/Me leaving/me coming back Threads (The World Outside) by Adam August 18, 2019, 08:14:20 pm
Backup server NL
Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 95.46.198.26
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Unknown
Unknown – 0lt
IP: 80.186.170.22
Game Mode:
Max Kills: 0
Version: LieroX 0.56b
Players:
Unknown
Unknown – 0lt
IP: 2.25.112.129
Game Mode:
Max Kills: 0
Version: LieroX 0.56b
Players:
M0rtsHeaven
Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help on creating Skins  (Read 809 times)

Drift

Help on creating Skins
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:05:21 pm »
I want to know how to create a decent skin, for fun, i havent made one before and was wondering what i would need to do to make one...

Asrack

Re: Help on creating Skins
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 06:06:42 pm »
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:13:32 pm by Necasorof »

Spoon

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 06:25:01 pm »
Ah Asrack. It's through following things like that to the letter that this community ends up with a flood of newbie material that.. sucks. I think it's time we take those who are willing to spend time making something new for this community and nurture them instead of assuming anything they produce will be worthless before they actually produce it.

Moose. Skins.

http://iworx5.webxtra.net/~lxallian/LXRS/index.php?page=skin_making_guide

That is the best guide you could possibly have for actually creating the skins. Keep every frame inside the box for it, if you don't understand then a little explanation:

Top is the colours, bottom is 'material'. If it's white on the material row, it is changeable in colour, black on the material row means it's a fixed colour. Anything that you want to be changeable in colour should be a light blue colour on the top row, if it's not then it won't work properly when you apply colours ingame. Look at the original 'Default.png' skin to see what I mean.

21 frames - 7 standing still in different aim positions, from directly upwards to as far down as you can possibly aim - 7 in walk position one, same order aiming positions as the first 7 frames - final 7 frames in walk position two, again with the same order of aiming positions. Looking at the Default.png long enough should explain better than words ever can, though.

So what I've given you so far will help you create a skin. If you want to make it decent though, as you said, there's a few outlines that it helps to follow.

Skins should have an aim animation. Skins that don't have anything that moves to aim aren't as good. It's arguable about the advantage you might get if your opponent can't see where you're aiming, infact I think it's plain unfair and all skins should have an aim system.. :)

Skins should have a movement animation. Like the aiming, plenty of skins don't have a movement animation. This also detracts from the overall quality of the skin. Try to make the main colour obvious - the skin needs to be easily identifyable in team games. Preferably have the main changeable colour and not many other bright colours, if you have a red skin with a changable bit, it might look half red/blue, red/green, red/yellow - it will always look like it might be on the red team.. etc

If you are doing a man or animal or something with a head and a gun, try to have both arms aiming and the head. Skins never look as good if they aim up with their arms and gun, but keep looking dead straight forward..

Take your time. Rushing it and going faster than you need to definately doesn't work, and won't produce anything that anyone will want to use or be impressed by..

Finally, I will tell you not to have the attitude that ''it's my first skin, doesn't matter if it's utter crap''. That's fine, most people do that. What's better, producing rubbish that people write ''x/10 NIEC SkIN! Good 4 ur 1st  ;D'' like they do everywhere.. or something that makes people sit up, write something they actually thought about, and even consider using it?

Drift

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:52:45 pm »
Thankyou spoon...
Btw i would like to add that im not a newbie, and was merely interested about how to create skins, yes im lazy, and some times dont look hard enough, but im not a newbie - if thats what you was inquiring...  :D

Spoon

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »
I wasn't inquiring, I was stating. You are a newbie in that you've never made skins before, you admitted that. As for ingame playing, if you're not a newbie (usually someone who is poor because they haven't been around long) then you must be a noob (someone who's been around plenty, but still sucks). Which do you want to be, newbie?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything