Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Level] Italy  (Read 2911 times)

Kemp

[Level] Italy
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:04:07 am »

Hi.
I am unable to upload this map to filebase for some reasons, so I would like to post it here for you to download. The map is ported from Soldat so donĀ“t give me credit for the graphics. I only made slight changes to it.

Download mirrors:

http://www.speedyshare.com/dwCp4/Italy.lxl
http://www.sendspace.com/file/kom2xj
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:14:41 am by Kemp »

Old killer is hunting you down!

Kemp

Re: [Level] Italy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 09:05:59 am »
Is there someone who's got a clue why I get an error trying to upload this to filebase?
The .lxl works 100% in the game so it's pretty weird.

Herr Flick

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:18:36 am »
Yup, it's so weird.

Kemp and me tried this level yesterday.

"Italy.lxl" can not be uploaded to filebase; and even with a manually added "Italy.lxl" in my levels folder I could not load the level in Kemp's server.

He then compiled another version with the name "kempitaly.lxl" which does work.

I cannot start the game using "Italy.lxl" in my (local) host. Tried renaming it to "italy.lxl", same error: 'Error while starting game: Could not load level italy.lxl'.

---

Funny as it as, Kemp, why not just upload kempitaly since that version worked fine.

Kemp

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:23:10 am »
Herr Flick:

No version of the map, despite name, can be uploaded to filebase.
I only changed to name for you so that you didn't have to overwrite Italy.lxl when we tried it.
If ppl will download Italy.lxl here it will most probably work.
I will ask a moderator to fix the filebase upload too.

Herr Flick

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:32:48 am »
Kemp, the version you posted here won't even show up in my levels list.  :-\

Kemp

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:35:03 am »
Btw, is there any interest in these levels? I mean lierox is packed with levels even though 80% is mostly bad quality.

I noticed coming back after 6 years that the same levels are played as 10 years ago, since im porting these maps it's a very fast way of making maps, but I still want to know people will play them. For another ported map see "Spacegarden" in filebase.
Let me know what you think, and if you are interested in porting your own maps but are not very good or effective with a photo editor, send the images to me and I'll see what I can do.

Some great games that i found that are easy to port to lierox is:
Soldat
Limbo
Knytt

Anyone else know a good sidescolling 2d game with "decent" graphics? Let me know.

/Kemp

Kemp

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:37:25 am »
Flick:

Thats really odd. The level-list is directly linked to your level folder. As long as you have an .lxl there it should show in your list, even if it got errors.
Perhaps I made a misstake in the levelmaker.
The name in levelmaker was "Italian_Quarters", but the file is named Italy.lxl.
Try looking for Italian_quarters in the level list instead.

Edit: I can't try now since im at work.

Herr Flick

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:41:02 am »
I like new levels!

2D maps on the PC have been become less popular over the years - but you might just find a whole bunch of fun 2D levels in the world of smartphone games,

say,

Angry Birds
Plants vs Zombies
League of Evil

Herr Flick

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:41 am »
Aye, if someone wants to play this level before Kemp gets home from work, here is the link to kempitaly that did work. http://www.speedyshare.com/8suNJ/kempitaly.lxl

BlueTiger

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 05:17:02 pm »
To be honest, maps made for other games aren't great for playing on LieroX (or one another) because they are designed mainly for that game.

Take TeeWorlds for example (by the way, TeeWorlds is a game you could port the maps from). Try porting a map from here, and you'll find it 10x easier to navigate due to your longer rope, have pointless corridors and platforms where you would collect weapon-drops and a large portion of the levels will have an island in the middle and then that's it, since in TeeWorlds, falling off the island is instant death (but not in LieroX).

Also, in Soldat, maps are mad for the rope, the easiest form of transport is the jet pack, so theres' way too much "nothingness" areas where you'll just get random spam (one of the worst parts about open maps).

The best solution is to create more maps, taking into account the best parts of previous maps (but not just shoving them together). For example, the JailBreak middle bit where you can easily rope down with a simple amount of roping skill.

tl;dr I wrote too much, don't port maps.
Roar!

Kemp

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:23:24 pm »
BlueTiger I don't agree.
The thing is even if your porting you have the freedom of changing the size of the map, modifying it to exclude/include more space etc.
And maps that are specifically made for lierox are rarely thought of for the reasons you say. Soldat and lierox has simular style and the smaller Soldat maps are perfect for lierox. Ofcourse there are 90% of the sidescolling 2d games where the maps WON'T suit Lierox, but thats why I'm asking for tips.

Tafka

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 08:48:40 pm »
To be honest, maps made for other games aren't great for playing on LieroX (or one another) because they are designed mainly for that game.

Take TeeWorlds for example (by the way, TeeWorlds is a game you could port the maps from). Try porting a map from here, and you'll find it 10x easier to navigate due to your longer rope, have pointless corridors and platforms where you would collect weapon-drops and a large portion of the levels will have an island in the middle and then that's it, since in TeeWorlds, falling off the island is instant death (but not in LieroX).

Also, in Soldat, maps are mad for the rope, the easiest form of transport is the jet pack, so theres' way too much "nothingness" areas where you'll just get random spam (one of the worst parts about open maps).

The best solution is to create more maps, taking into account the best parts of previous maps (but not just shoving them together). For example, the JailBreak middle bit where you can easily rope down with a simple amount of roping skill.

What if I told you that Ore Quarry, Blat arena and Poo arena are ported from soldat(or was it smth else?).

Kemp, good job anyway. There's any other good maps to port to LX?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:50:12 pm by Tafka »

miikizzle

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 08:49:40 pm »
I tried the map. It's nice. Bluetiger can shush. :)

Also, LX isnt just about competitive gameplay, you can just fck around aswell... And when youre doing those late night games and just screwing around, any map will do :P

BlueTiger

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 09:25:54 pm »

What if I told you that Ore Quarry, Blat arena and Poo arena are ported from soldat(or was it smth else?).

Kemp, good job anyway. There's any other good maps to port to LX?

Both Poo and Blat arena only really work for morts. Ore Quarry is open and very runny. But those are all opinions anyway so...

It's still better to make maps specifically for LX rather than porting other games maps IMHO.
Roar!

Tafka

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 10:23:03 pm »
I used to play a lot of rifles in blat, it was my and aegir's thing some time ago. Food fight was also good there, didn't try most other mods.
If you browse  through levels list, how many good maps are there anyway, most are trash. This level looks like something that would fit LX-theme, might not be good in classic (probably most action goes to either side of tunnel) , but in some mods like 1.11 or food or rifles could be very potential. Just that all don't play it anymore.

I haven't seen a good new level in years already, if anyone has the skills to make a good map, they don't take time for it, the rest who make bad levels - doesn't matter if they made it specifically for LX.

ReVoPure

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:56 am »
Worked under the name of Italian_quarter.

This map has potential tbh some mods should fit right there. / bringing new maps to the game is awesome and should be done more often !!

I like herr flicks ideas also with the graphics :]
Herr create us a NewCoolMapo :D

Herr Flick

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:04 pm »
Omg omg just got a great idea for levels, old DOS games.
Anyone remember Bio Menace? I might try my compile skills on that.

Dangerous Dave...
God of Thunder...
The Lion King....
Prince of Persia 1...

And a modern bonus, Awesomenauts.

this is sexy stuff!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:27:35 pm by Herr Flick »

Kemp

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »
Flick:

Great ideas, you should do it!
Look at this one, from Limbo, would be HUUGE in size, but mabye good for 14 player games. :)

Tafka

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 03:41:38 pm »
Something worth trying, Kemp. Not sure how it would be when finished, would take quite some work. Looks like bit too many tight places, from this view. Could give it a shot though.

Sebbe

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11:24 am »
I used to play a lot of rifles in blat, it was my and aegir's thing some time ago. [...]
4 years ago*

Also, a level based off Limbo would be super-interesting in terms of aesthetics. In case it becomes too big, you should try to size it down one square, or crop away all the black parts along the bottom and right side of the image.

A rule of thumb is, if I remember correctly, is that Fossil Facility is 640x480 px, and that map is well fit for up to 3vs3 games to be held!
Pages: [1]   Go Up