Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 7
Max Kills: 20
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc3
Players:
Marten(5 lives, 1 kills)
paksukainen(6 lives, 2 kills)
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LieroX for Android  (Read 2530 times)

toastbrot21016

LieroX for Android
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:26:05 pm »
hey,
i'm new here and sorry for my broken english ;)
i got an idea: why not port lieroX on android? or better sayed: port on the ouya? can't image a better game than liero to play with friends with controller on the large tv :) would that be possible?

greets from bavaria
toastbrot

BlueTiger

Re: LieroX for Android
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 04:24:57 pm »
I assume it is entirely possible, but would take a lot of work for very little gain. LieroX isn't really that much of a party-game unless you play the basic Liero-style sets.

Also, I don't really think it would be too fun on a controller, let alone on a tiny android screen!
Roar!

toastbrot21016

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 05:49:33 pm »
okay. it thought it could't be that much work, because liero is also available for linux and linux and android got a lot of similaritys, right?

Kurko

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 08:18:47 pm »
OLX was once ported for N800 (Maemo OS) so Android should be completely possible. Redesigned controls might be needed, as I guess that touchscreen isn't the most comfortable way to play LX. :P

http://www.openlierox.net/forum/index.php?topic=10802.0

edit: Ah, you're talking about console controller. That should be fine with LX.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:20:35 pm by Kurko »

pelya

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:32:16 pm »

MaxShadow

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 02:22:45 am »
Actually, I've been thinking in porting LieroXtreme to Android. I have a license for GameMaker Android export. It's not the best "engine" to work with, but definitely better than coding for Android directly. Also, I would need to completely rewrite the code, GM language has quite a lot of differences with other languages. I noticed the Source Code is available, but what language is it coded with? What kind of License this game has? If I ever decide to port it to android, would I be able to upload it to GooglePlay with adds? This is just an Idea, I'm pretty lazy and my programming knowledge is not that great. But perhaps someday I decide to do it. LieroX is one of my favorite freeware games.

Kurko

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 04:45:33 pm »
Actually, I've been thinking in porting LieroXtreme to Android. I have a license for GameMaker Android export. It's not the best "engine" to work with, but definitely better than coding for Android directly. Also, I would need to completely rewrite the code, GM language has quite a lot of differences with other languages. I noticed the Source Code is available, but what language is it coded with? What kind of License this game has? If I ever decide to port it to android, would I be able to upload it to GooglePlay with adds? This is just an Idea, I'm pretty lazy and my programming knowledge is not that great. But perhaps someday I decide to do it. LieroX is one of my favorite freeware games.

OpenLieroX is written in C++ using various libraries such as SDL, OpenAL and HawkNL, and licensed under GNU LGPL.

I have zero experience on mobile programming so I don't know how hard it would be to port the existing source code to Android. But I'd still examine that option first. Complete reprogramming will require a lot of work.

Are you planning to make it compatible with the computer version?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:47:07 pm by Kurko »

MaxShadow

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 06:01:26 am »

OpenLieroX is written in C++ using various libraries such as SDL, OpenAL and HawkNL, and licensed under GNU LGPL.

I have zero experience on mobile programming so I don't know how hard it would be to port the existing source code to Android. But I'd still examine that option first. Complete reprogramming will require a lot of work.

Are you planning to make it compatible with the computer version?

To be honest, I wasn't planning to do anything yet. It was just an idea. I'm not a very experienced coder, and the editor I would use has some limitations. Anyway, I took a quick look at the source code. I noticed it's written in C++ (not my favorite language), and it has quite a lot of files. Trying to port an exact copy of that wouldn't be the best option, specially because I would be using a game editor, not programming directly in Java for Android. There are many things that the editor does for you behind the curtain, it's not as low-level as C or C++. It would take me more time to understand the source than actually porting it to Game Maker Language. I guess it would be better to make a new game from scratch and only take a look at the code for some details.

My idea was to make a game based on Liero, while keeping compatibility with the resources of LieroXtreme, specially the mod files, which I think is the most interesting part of this game. The thing is, these files appear to be compiled, so I can't parse them directly. That complicate things a bit. I couldn't find the source script that handles those files. There are a few other things that I would need the source for, like the physics (if I want to keep it the way it works in LieroX) and bot AI, but the rest shouldn't be too hard. GM has a simple language, it's easy to use. However, by doing things this way it would be almost impossible to make it cross-platform, If I ever manage to get the multiplayer part working. It's all in my head, but I'm not sure if I can make it happen.

Anyway, If I ever make some progress on it, I'll post it here.

Kurko

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 09:52:20 pm »

My idea was to make a game based on Liero, while keeping compatibility with the resources of LieroXtreme, specially the mod files, which I think is the most interesting part of this game. The thing is, these files appear to be compiled, so I can't parse them directly. That complicate things a bit. I couldn't find the source script that handles those files. There are a few other things that I would need the source for, like the physics (if I want to keep it the way it works in LieroX) and bot AI, but the rest shouldn't be too hard. GM has a simple language, it's easy to use. However, by doing things this way it would be almost impossible to make it cross-platform, If I ever manage to get the multiplayer part working. It's all in my head, but I'm not sure if I can make it happen.

The weapon data of each mod is compiled into a binary format which is then loaded by the game. CGameScript.cpp is probably the right file to start looking if you want to see how the weapons are loaded.

MaxShadow

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 01:25:51 am »

The weapon data of each mod is compiled into a binary format which is then loaded by the game. CGameScript.cpp is probably the right file to start looking if you want to see how the weapons are loaded.

Yeah, I've been searching some files with Notepad++ and found the weapons are loaded in CGameScript.cpp, using a single function (fread_compat) declared in EndianSwap.h. As far as I can tell, it just does some kind of validation and then reads the bytes. It may be possible to read these files in GM, but I'll need to study that script to understand the sizes and structure of the data. It may take some time.

As an alternative, I wanted to decompile the mod files to take a look at the source. It would be much easier if I could work directly with the uncompiled files. I tried to compile the GameDecompiler, which is hosted in a Github repository. However, after getting all the dependencies (it has many), it threw many errors and the compilation failed. I guess I'm using the wrong dependencies.

I'll use the example files for the "Classic" gamemode for now. Later I'll try to find a way to load those binary files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up