Total servers: 2
Who's still around? (Forum Discussion ) by ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ March 17, 2019, 04:47:14 pm
DE nonstop + voting
Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
US nonstop + voting
Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Level] Sunset  (Read 1567 times)

SorZ

[Level] Sunset
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:53:41 am »
I'm finally giving level cretaion a shot again, and I got one in progress.
Here's little preview of it, I won't show the graphics until the release but here is the material image.

Since I don't have the program you compile it to .lxl files,
it would be cool if someone want to help me out, so we can test it. Send me a PM.

Here it is, leave some feedback of the basic level design.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:56:17 am by SorZ »

Legend

Re: [Level] Sunset
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:49 pm »
Almost perfectly symmetric! That's stupid. Only lazy bastards make symmetric levels!
All right, I'll use paint to demonstrate where you facked up and what actually is good.

Here. 

So here comes.
The upper area has too much open space. This ain't a mortar map, right?
Those dots are just stupid and serve no purpose. Clinging a rope to them will be awkward enough and you would look like an idiot if you stationed yourself atop one.

Those camping spots in the upper corners and in the center areas of the map are just meaningless, plain stupid dead-ends. If you just needed to make something there to make the map look better, use your imagination and make them actually worthwhile somehow!

The center of the map, which I have encircled with yellow, is a very delicate area. **** that up, and the entire level becomes not so good. As it is, it's not bad, but it offers little defensive cover. If you run out of weapons you will be target practice. And that will make players cautious and essentially defensive, or rather encourage non-aggressive tactics. If you attack a lot, you need a place to go reload to, essentially a camp-spot where you can wait for the enemy to come to you, and then use the terrain to your advantage. Your map actually has those kind of places, which I have encircled with green. Those areas really look like decent places for combat, nice places for some SS-recoil tactics for sure.

I took the liberty to make some slight changes. Here.

Essentially I remade the open area, so that you can use the terrain there too and not just spam your guns in air and hope some shots connect.

I made the centre to resemble a bit LieroFactory. It really works there, so why not here? Sure it's very much different still, but at least a bit similar to. Originally it was a very open area, and so you would be very vulnerable to shots from three directions. Now you can actually take some cover there, and equally you need to think how to attack such a spot.
I also removed the dead-ends. The former centre area dead-ends actually now link-up with the perimeter of the level, which should add some dimension to the level. I also deleted those vague looking things looming near those trees. Yeah, I think those trees are really nice since they're dirt. A bit like T3 Resort palms, but smaller scale.  Anyway, the things, I dont know what you have planned them to be, flags? Whatever they are, they still block the entrance to the base, which is bad. Reposition them elsewhere? Or just get rid of them.

Your map has curious measures. 800x300. The width is normal, but the height is usually much greater. It might not be bad at all though, it's just curious.
Lastly. I don't know why, but your gfx picture has multiple colors in it. You need to have exactly one type of black, grey and white. As it is, there's a large spectrum of colors and that's a giant mess. If you compile the level now, it won't work properly.

Yeah. That's what I could think of. It really looks like a dynamic level, some 2vs2 teamgames could work really well. As it is though, traversing the bottom area will be difficult, because you are vulnerable all the time and so it easily becomes trench warfare of some sort. Some defensive cover can actually be surprisingly crucial for good offensive game as well.

BlueTiger

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:02:00 pm »
Looks quite nice! :). Although, my opinion on trees isn't a good one (in general), they're just a little awkward to use as a fighting ground. Although yours seem like a little better (smoother) than others in levels like Jailbreak.

It also seems like those little islandy blocks at the top would be good for grapple-fights, but maybe a couple more would be nice? Also, just make sure the top- right and left aren't okay for Mortars campers, since I guess you'd want this map to be functional for lots of mods.
Roar!

SorZ

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:36 pm »
After the first test this is what came to my mind.

The red = parts I'm more or less 100% sure to remove.
The yellow = things I'm not quiet sure about yet.
The green = areas I plan to expand.

Also I have to make a comment on the open air, the sky isn't really that big at all, as it looks on the picture.

Here's an small preview of the updated version:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:41:58 am by SorZ »

Hawk

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »
Not bad.
The best player isn't the one with most kills every game, the best player is the one that has most fun playing.

SorZ

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 12:41:22 am »
A little update on what's going on.

In the third test version I will make following adjustments:

I will simply remove small parts of the solid to make the level more comfortable moving around in.
Make the two trees just a little bit smaller and yellow parts will be moved slightly higher to decrease air and increase room for combat inside.

The pink in the middle is just nothing yet, just some thoughts that might come into the level later.

Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:01:43 pm »
I don't think you should move those parts too much upward, maybe just slightly is okay. The narrow base is what I like most about this level. It kind of reminds me of Jukke, LFR and Ore Quarry combined. Also, I would keep those trees as they are, it doesn't matter if they're large, they are still dirt.

I got a few ideas. Here.

The air is pretty tricky, but I think there should be something there, this is a rather small map so leaving it completely open doesn't seem too good I think. My idea is just an idea, the dirt is maybe pretty stupid there but at least it looks better than plain air. Generally some sort of platforms, like in Wormmountain could work. Or maybe slightly more detailed, like that platform atop Duel level.

I really think the bottom centre should be like I did it, but it's not my level, obviously.
By the way, did you need something compiled? I think you should finish the third version, I can compile it then.

SorZ

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 02:49:12 am »
/../

I agree, I won't move them too much, just a little so you can make a long light strike swing through the whole tunnel a bit better.

I like your idea with the central bottom, right now it's kinda boring, just flat.
The trees probably will remain as they are after all, yeah.
And about the sky, I might try something quiet close to what you suggest.

I'll send it as soon it's ready. Thanks.

BlueTiger

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 04:04:54 pm »
I agree with Ana, why wasn't this continued?   :'(.
Roar!
Pages: [1]   Go Up