Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Todays reality  (Read 16034 times)

SorZ

Todays reality
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:45:57 am »
I've opened OpenLieroX several times the past days.
With the intention to play. But no..

The serverlist is empty, completely empty.

Since it's a real hocus pocus to portforward, the devs made the NAT hosting system so
that anyone could host those.. let's call them "blue servers".
But no..
For some unknown reason not even a single blue server will pop up, even though people try to host them.

Thank god you invented the the chat for olx, otherwise it would be really ghostly in there.

What the hell is going on?

LXA recently had two dedicated servers that provided the game with constat possibility
to play both rifles and classic.
It was two really important servers in my opinion. But now they are gone for unknown reason too.

I'm just saying..
You can't start building version after version without a solid ground to rely on.
And that would be servers.
Servers, servers servers.

With no servers, this game will die out for sure, probably very soon.
Servers are the main key of the OLX survival. That it would be to any game really.
Yes quiet obvious, isn't it?

And I hear almost everyday from various guys that.. "there's no new players coming to
this crappy old 2D-game anymore".
And that Liero is outrun by new games with better graphics.
I say that's wrong, in 2004-2005 when LX had it's prime time, there already existed
a bunch of better games on the market. So this, "not-appealing-gfx" talk is not true I'd say.
And the weirdest reason so far.. "People grew up". Well of course they did?
(Except a few +25 guys hehe, all respect to you though for still playing)
But this is the part where the younger/new generation should fill up the void of oldschoolers leaving.

And yes, you are wrong. There are newcommers to this game all the time.
I chat pretty much everyday with players that got interested and just downloaded the game,
but you know what? They wont stay for long..

Not because they disliked the graphics or the gameplay, or they didn't find that fancy feature,
or the lack of mouse aim, or the game being too less like Soldat or Quake.
But because there's not a single server in this game.

Now, someone said it.. discuss.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:09:02 am by SorZ »

Sakmongkol

Re: Todays reality
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:52:09 am »
Personally, I think the end is nigh. I've been playing for 4-5 years somewhat actively, and there have been highs and lows, but I've never seen the game so dead before.

I would still love to play LX, but I fear next year at the latest there will be no-one left to play with.

It's the end, and it was fun as long as it lasted. Goodbye! :-\
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis

SorZ

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:20 am »
Personally, I think the end is nigh. I've been playing for 4-5 years somewhat actively, and there have been highs and lows, but I've never seen the game so dead before.

I would still love to play LX, but I fear next year at the latest there will be no-one left to play with.

It's the end, and it was fun as long as it lasted. Goodbye! :-\

This is the typical post I'd expected.

You guys just won't realize that there is a lot of players coming here.
But how can we make them stay if there ain't any possibility for them to even play the game online?

It's not the end really, not yet.

Wander

Re: Developers, please fix this, we can't play!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:29:30 am »
What the hell is going on?

For some unknown reason not even a single blue server will pop up, even though people try to host them.

You can't start building version after version without a solid ground to rely on.
And that would be servers.
Servers, servers servers.

There are newcommers to this game all the time.
but you know what? They wont stay for long..

LXA recently had two dedicated servers that provided the game with constat possibility
to play both rifles and classic.
It was two really important servers in my opinion. But now they are gone for unknown reason too.
^That!! (sorry for raping your post Sorz :P Do change the title though! ;))

mcape6

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:37:30 am »
So toatly true. in 2010, you could tell people were disappearing, actully no earlier. 2009. Then I thought maybe I'd download ( and I'd really have to dig for it) the ordinal lx but what the he'll would that do? I plan to stay with this game and forum till the end but like sorz has mentioned, others don't want to at all. I guess you could blame the programers, and mabey it is partly there fault but really all there doing putting what people said they wanted.....newbies...... In witch case this ain't gonna stop. This is depressing but is true. Ether the end is nigh or were all high. Your choice.
Join our clan s00t! If your interested go here http://s00t.webs.com/apps/forums/

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 02:49:35 am »
There aren't enough players for big clans.. I say everyone should limit their clans with like 8 players max

This is where I put my secret messages, ssh!

mcape6

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:51:40 am »
It's funny cus who u see above are probs the only people who still trend this forum
Join our clan s00t! If your interested go here http://s00t.webs.com/apps/forums/

Ruki

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 04:03:03 am »
Well, players = servers, servers = players. Without players there are no servers and without servers there are no players, obviously...

In 2004-2005 there were many better games already indeed, but in 2004-2005 there were still many people who had old computers from 2000 with 256/512 MB of RAM and like 1.2 GHz proc which wasn't even able to render some mods in a "crappy" game like LX properly. As I have previously said, LX was great for nostalgics who were playing Liero. At least I found about LX because of Liero. And those who were playing Liero and wanted to play it online have already discovered about LX, at least most of the guys like that, since we are in 2011 now. New generations are too young to know what DOS is or what Liero would be, so they won't search for OLX. They might stumble upon it by random chance but not because they would SEARCH for it. Now, with all the merchandize and commercials from popular multiplayer games, who will find OLX? It's more like people find about OLX from somebody else who posts at random forum or tells it in person. Also another important thing, OLX is not a NEW game anymore, it is OLD. People usually don't search for old games but want to try new ones. So the part where younger generation should fill up the void is missing. Simply because new generation is not interested into OLX or doesn't know about it. The reason why there are no servers is because game is inactive. There are not enough of every day gamers who would host servers at all times in this community anymore. I randomly open the game and see there are no servers, too bad, but I will host mine. It eventually gets crowded and people are thanking me for hosting. I mean, come on, if you are so much into LX, you could host your own server and in all the 4 years at least find a way to configure your damn firewall and router. It is an old free game so the support might not be as good as it comes with WoW or Steam powered apps, but I think you will get a pretty fast answer here at forums in case you need something.

With few dedicated servers you won't achieve much. Sure some newbies might play at it but usually the dedicated servers were empty when I checked them (might be different at the times someone else checked them, I don't know, I wrote when I checked them). And I doubt any of "known players" were playing much on these servers. So what you need are players who will host servers. Now... without players, there are no servers. But lets say there are 10 players hosting their own servers. I highly doubt those servers would get full. More likely a host would close the server after 10 minutes which would look like this:
 after 3 min: Newbie has joined
 Newbie: start!!!
 Newbie has left
 after 1 min: Playa has joined
 after 2 min: Haxor has joined
 Haxor: 0 loading time!
 after 3 min: [RIP] Ruki has joined, [RIP] Ruki has left (<- wanted to point out a known player)
 after 1 min: Haxor has left
 Server has been closed

In 2004 when LX was a NEW game, there used to be 10 full servers with players who all belonged to some clan and another 5 servers of newbies playing some weird settings every day. There were probably 100s of players exchanging daily. The community was much bigger at Gaming Universe. Now in 2011 you only have leftovers. A bunch of old inactive players, few active players and few newcomers per day. All together to fill like 3 servers per day. How do you expect servers to be full then? So I will write it once again, I believe servers = players and without players the game is dead. So we need players, not servers. Servers will come with players.

mcape6

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 04:15:24 am »
Let's make a add for liero then or something to attract players? What els could we do?

Ruki

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 04:24:39 am »
What will you advertise LX with? Brand new cool stable game with awesome graphics and crowded community? There are much more appealing games out there and today pretty much everyone has a better PC to handle them. I don't know what to do... pay billions to Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber to include a copy of OLX to their latest CDs and to Warner Bros. so in latest Harry Potter they will include a 5 min sequence of Harry and Draco battling themselves in OLX combo duel, or something... create a bluetooth/wlan multiplayer OLX for iPhone and in the description include a huge text about OLX for PC... pay Jackass characters to run naked in the streets and shout "download OLX from openlierox.net"...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:26:18 am by Ruki »

mcape6

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:28:08 am »
I like the last one. If somebody ported the game to iPhone then maybe they'd like to play the original?

kokbira

• Gi Joe Brown Brazillian Rope-Flying Ant
  • LXA Part Time Adapt
  • Schwartz: +23/-6
  • 3838 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To kokbira
  • ex-player (ex-Flip and ex-s00t clan member)
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 04:38:04 am »
is there an way to create "visit statistics" for OLX, like in a site in blogspot?

in blogspot we can see all visits to the site during a day, an week, a month and from the beginning until today.

the suggestion is to do it optimized for players and servers, where we would view how many players connected during last day, month... but also every monday, saturday..., showing the hour in GMT... so we can prepare ourself to connect in times of a day with more probability to have someone.

FL3sk

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:56:15 am »
I really agree with sorz here,  if someone enters lx for the first time, and dont see any server,  He sure isnt coming back.

Has anyone asked the devs why those dedicated servers arent up anymore?

mcape6

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:19 am »
If they fix it we still have the problem of goast forum

Ahmed

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:40 am »
I have an extra computer laying around. I could host a dedicated server if someone explains to me how that works because honestly I have no idea. As for the community at least we are more active than the GU...  :D
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

joni

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 09:53:22 am »
Port forwarding isn't really hocus pocus. I can port forward my port open so I can host a green server, it's totally up to your router. If you have problems getting your server green - please use google and check how's the port forwarding done right - some routers have port forward option but it's not completed what's why you should use miniupnpc called program to do it (That's what I use).

SorZ

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 04:13:10 pm »
Ruki, of course players = servers too.
But as I already said, those who find this game and open it for the first time -
will leave, since they can't even try it out.

Joni, I portforwarded myself 2 days ago.
I followed all steps, and there was no complications.
But still my server is not even blue anymore.

Ps. The LXA serverlist in the upper left corner isn't working anymore either.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 04:17:32 pm by SorZ »

Thor

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »
How long posts anybody ever made, how ****ing good arguments ever were given - the fact is that huge mistakes in developing, or actually whole development screwed up this game and now it's most likely died thanks to it.

Ruki

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:32 pm »
How long posts anybody ever made, how ****ing good arguments ever were given - the fact is that huge mistakes in developing, or actually whole development screwed up this game and now it's most likely died thanks to it.
And you think without the development you would have uber crowded active community here? Sure some old players might have stayed but all the people who were brought here because of OLX and promotion behind it wouldn't be brought here with stagnating 0.56. Don't tell me those few old players would play this game every day for few hours for their entire life. I dislike many things with OLX and development process but blaming the developers is silly.

Sakmongkol

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »
You are wrong and your claim is pathetic.
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up