Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mouse input fork?  (Read 6758 times)

Isaactoo

Mouse input fork?
« on: April 25, 2010, 02:34:36 am »
(I'm a newb to liero & worms-like games)

I've searched a little around the board and see that many don't like the idea of using the mouse for aiming in liero and wondered if a fork (maybe called lieroxMouse?) is/could be made.

I really like liero for it's terrain deformation/reformation and elaborate mods, but I find the controls quite difficult to get the hang of, and even if I don't think I could match the accuracy & quickness of the mouse. I realize that this would give an advantage to the mice players if it was implemented into Lierox, so that's why I wondered about a fork.

albert

Re: Mouse input fork?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:58:20 am »
Yes, I actually thought of this already.

Making such radical change in how the input works really makes a somewhat different game out of it - that is why this couldn't really be called Liero anymore and of course it must be impossible to play on each other servers.

From the technical side of view, this is really simple and I would not really want to have it as a forked source base. It is not really a problem to use the same code base to maintain both games: OLX and this mouse-aim game.

Are you interested in working on this? I would be very happy to support you on this.

I imagine it roughly like that:

- A completely new name for the new thing. I'm not sure if "Liero" should be in that name. (This is actually hard to say. I think it would still be more close to Liero than to Soldat or other games but on the other side, the keyboard control was always a central element in all Liero clones.)
- A seperate SourceForge project for this new thing.
- We can split the OLX Git repo in two or three parts: One for source and all data which can be shared like mods/maps (or this in a seperate repo) and one for the rest. That are for example the frontend graphics, configs, masterserver lists, etc.
- The new project will use the source/shared data as a base and just have a seperated Git repo for the rest.

---

Btw., not sure if you know about them: There are two games which are somewhat close to that idea (Liero with mouse aim):

* Tee Worlds. This is also 2D and also uses ninja ropes as the main element to move through the maps. Though the gamestyle is somewhat different (no destructible terrain, a very strict set of weapons and no real mods for different ones).

* Soldat. Cannot say much about it, never tried (it's closed source and Windows only).

Isaactoo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:34 am »
Well, I've started learning c++...but I don't think I'm ready to try my hand at creating/maintaining a game.

From the technical side of view, this is really simple and I would not really want to have it as a forked source base. It is not really a problem to use the same code base to maintain both games: OLX and this mouse-aim game.

That's what I had in mind, I should not have used "fork" but I couldn't think of a better word.

I've played Soldat a fair amount (after making an anti-blood patch) and it was fun...Tee Worlds looks okish, but I really like the extra depth that destructible terrain gives, not to mention all the mods with enjoyable weapons.

Would it be very difficult? I imagine that besides adding mouse support to the code, there would also have to be something added to lierox to detect some-one cheating by using the mouse (perhaps if they changed the angle at varying speeds in the middle of game-play?).

albert

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:56:30 am »
I've played Soldat a fair amount (after making an anti-blood patch) and it was fun...Tee Worlds looks okish, but I really like the extra depth that destructible terrain gives, not to mention all the mods with enjoyable weapons.

What, an anti-blood patch?? :P

Yea but I also like the more amount of possibilities in OLX. And also I prefer the way we have the ninja rope in Liero/LX than it is in Tee World (I would say it's really somewhat different there, it's much shorter and after all the maps are much smaller, or your character is bigger but that is just the same :)).

Would it be very difficult? I imagine that besides adding mouse support to the code, there would also have to be something added to lierox to detect some-one cheating by using the mouse (perhaps if they changed the angle at varying speeds in the middle of game-play?).

It would be pretty easy.

Technically, I would just add another option (called MouseAim or so) which is controlled by the server. The same option would also be on the client for the input config section and I would just make it in a way that it is not possible to join a server if the server MouseAim option is different from what the client has.

(Of course, this check would be done on the client side, so by hacking the C++ code, you could get around that. But we actually have that problem for many other things too and esp in this case with MouseAim, it's just impossibe to make it secure against such hacks.)

Despite that, from the technical side, you are pretty much already done. Now you only need a name for it, some new graphics for all the menus and the frontent and some masterservers for it.

Maybe even the binaries can be the same and it will read it from a config file if it is all with MouseAim or without. Reusing the same binaries would make a lot of things much more easier.

Well, I've started learning c++...but I don't think I'm ready to try my hand at creating/maintaining a game.

No need to maintain it really. Actually, not really much would be needed to maintain. The biggest part to maintain is anyway the source and as this would just be the same OLX code, this doesn't mean any extra work for that new project.

I also could maintain this new project and the code additions in the OLX code after all.

But you could join the OLX development team and thus helping on all this, esp on the OLX code (not only on the mouse aim part which is as said pretty easy but also on other things which need to be done). This is also a great and fun way to learning C++. If you are interested in that, don't hesitate. Register on SourceForge, tell me your account name and you'll get write access to our Git repo. And then read further here:

http://www.openlierox.net/wiki/index.php/Development

Note that I'm a bit busy right now to do much work on OLX myself. But I will be available for any questions you might have, also regarding the source code.

Asrack

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:42:59 am »
If you're finding aiming hard try playing alone and aiming for targets you set up yourself in cool ways. Using ninja rope and stuff. I would suggest getting out the old trusty rifle or if you really would like, winchester and aiming at stuff at a distance away and trying to hit it.

Then moving onto other weapons like napalm and cannon/doomsday. Aiming/moving will come with time.

Isaactoo

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:14:47 am »
I don't like gore (and was pleased that I could turn it off in openliero in the GUI).

But you could join the OLX development team and thus helping on all this, esp on the OLX code (not only on the mouse aim part which is as said pretty easy but also on other things which need to be done). This is also a great and fun way to learning C++. If you are interested in that, don't hesitate. Register on SourceForge, tell me your account name and you'll get write access to our Git repo. And then read further here:

http://www.openlierox.net/wiki/index.php/Development

Note that I'm a bit busy right now to do much work on OLX myself. But I will be available for any questions you might have, also regarding the source code.

I may try that, but don't expect much, a couple months ago I didn't even know how to make a "hello world" class.  ;)
Over the next week I'll try to take a peek at the source code and see how much I understand...

If you're finding aiming hard try playing alone and...
Thank you, I'll give it a shot.

Sakmongkol

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »
I don't like gore (and was pleased that I could turn it off in openliero in the GUI).
Hah, so I am not the only one who does that. I've always had blood amount at 0%. =)

Then on topic, I would be interested in trying such mouse input version if you'll make that. Even though I think mouse aim suits Soldat and Teeworlds better, the destructible terrain and modding possibilities would certainly add some extra depth to that type of game.
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis

BakTer

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:14:41 pm »
why was my post removed here?
wut?

albert

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 11:24:51 pm »
why was my post removed here?

Your comment was so totally stupid because you did not read the thread. :)

Isaactoo

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 04:03:36 am »
... I've always had blood amount at 0%. =)
If you like you can get my anti-blood soldat patch here - http://sites.google.com/site/isaactoo/Soldat-antiblood.zip?attredirects=0 and a crazy map - http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=11780.0

Anyways, I've looked at the code some, and understood more than I thought I would ;D but it will be a while before I'll get into the coding most likely...but I'll go ahead and PM you Albert.

pdk747

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:11 am »
Thank you all for your valuable information posted here. It helped me a lot to understand context which I needed.

Herr Flick

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 10:59:12 am »
Who is behind these spammers.
There's not even a link to some cheap pharmacy pills.  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything