Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Level] Dawn Temple  (Read 2327 times)

Legend

[Level] Dawn Temple
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:09 pm »

Download

This is probably my last level release. Well, in the very least, this will be my last Zelda inspired palace kinda level. Thus, I felt it convenient that I finish my work with levels to a revisit of the very first level I ever made, which indeed was Twilight Castle back from 2007. The original level was built with small dark blocks that result in quite mesmeric overall design. The sky was all purple covered with thundering clouds that I deviously ripped from google. Castle background was simply black, so overall, it was rather harsh work. Yet the level had one great attribute: the gameplay was all right, which my later and even recent levels have frequently lacked.

Now I discarded the darkness theme and replaced it with the colors of a dawn. The entire castle also has golden design to make the colours match each other, and in stead of using identical blocks I used the similar style as with Temple of Time and Castle Courtyard. And, as always, a few triforces can be spotted here and there.

I feel I have to thank everyone who ever bothered to give some feedback to my levels, test and play them, or just show any kind of interest whatsoever.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:16:54 pm by Legend »

Asrack

Re: [Level] Dawn Temple
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:39:34 am »
Very good!

I love it.  8)

Tyrael

• You are no one, just like me.
  • LXA Part Time Adapt
  • Schwartz: +37/-2
  • 3106 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Tyrael
  • Sometimes things get complicated.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 01:18:02 am »
First of all:
Took ages to find the download button :p.

Secondly:
The contrast of the level is good. The level is quite open but not that open that it starts to turn negative. Sharp edges in this level are awesome compared to slopes as it nearly burnt my nerves as I got stuck in them while trying to make a quick run over the level. Also it takes some effort to get good roping speed in here as you make one bad swing, it's all over and you have to start again.

The only flaw which I can find that the level is kind of a double edged sword since the level feels somehow 'empty' but it's still good as the way it is. I can't say what's missing or what should be added :s. Maybe a few small detail scattered around the level (more than just tri forces :p).

OVERALL: I do not see why this wouldn't be the next ore quarry (Was the first level which popped into my mind while testing) or FF. If I'm playing when I'm at home, you better start to download this level as it's going to be played in there. 9/10, GJ Legend.

Ps. God may exist as I prayed that the bottom of the level wouldn't be dirt.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:38:24 am by Tyrael »

Hatten

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:13:23 pm »
I liked the look of the old one more, but can I just rename that one or have you changed the layout in any way?
I don't do unintentionall mistakes.

Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »
First of all:
Took ages to find the download button :p.
True, true.
The site seemed simple enough for my purpose so I used it, obviously they expect people to wander about and open loads of advertising crap in the process.

For those who struggle with the same thing.

Secondly:
The contrast of the level is good. The level is quite open but not that open that it starts to turn negative. Sharp edges in this level are awesome compared to slopes as it nearly burnt my nerves as I got stuck in them while trying to make a quick run over the level. Also it takes some effort to get good roping speed in here as you make one bad swing, it's all over and you have to start again.

The only flaw which I can find that the level is kind of a double edged sword since the level feels somehow 'empty' but it's still good as the way it is. I can't say what's missing or what should be added :s. Maybe a few small detail scattered around the level (more than just tri forces :p).
I agree with the openness thing. It could be solved by adding some extra items, but I have never been good at designing those. Also, I guess it would reduce a little the pace of the level; now the gameplay is quaranteed to be fast as there is no cover in the tunnels. That is how it should be in my opinion.

OVERALL: I do not see why this wouldn't be the next ore quarry (Was the first level which popped into my mind while testing) or FF. If I'm playing when I'm at home, you better start to download this level as it's going to be played in there. 9/10, GJ Legend.
Well, this could be, maybe. It surely would help things if this were to be included in the next OLX level pack. Temple of Time got there by that voting of sorts, LMS, was it not? Speaking of which, that should be organised again sometime. I guess it's a plenty of work though.

Ps. God may exist as I prayed that the bottom of the level wouldn't be dirt.
Heehee, well, I certainly didn't want to screw it up similarly to Jail Break.
Generally I think there's few levels where dirt is some tactical and really fitting element, for example the tunnel part of LFr it's more trouble than it's worth.

I liked the look of the old one more, but can I just rename that one or have you changed the layout in any way?
I made quite a few changes to better the gameplay. Funny though, whatever was cool in the old one? The hypnotic tiles maybe?

ONeill

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 06:39:52 pm »

Hatten

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:49:06 pm »
ONeill, we talk english in this forum. Stick to it or keep out of here. You can talk finnish in other forums and ingame, or at msn.

I've got a feel for simple and oldschool stuff, I don't strictly remember the old layout, but the tiles certainly looked good. I haven't played in them, so I don't know how it looks ingame though.
EDIT: now that I look for it, I cannot find it, it may be that I'm thinking of the wrong level. Could you point out the thread? I cannot seem to find it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:57:17 pm by Hatten »
I don't do unintentionall mistakes.

Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:03:42 pm »
ONeill, we talk english in this forum. Stick to it or keep out of here. You can talk finnish in other forums and ingame, or at msn.

I've got a feel for simple and oldschool stuff, I don't strictly remember the old layout, but the tiles certainly looked good. I haven't played in them, so I don't know how it looks ingame though.
EDIT: now that I look for it, I cannot find it, it may be that I'm thinking of the wrong level. Could you point out the thread? I cannot seem to find it.
It's located in [aC] board, but the download link doesn't work any longer. I could dig something up from another PC and hope to stumble across it, but is it really worth the trouble?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:05:48 pm by Legend »

Nets

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 12:56:54 pm »
plain and simple, i like it without even trying out.

Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:42 pm »
OK so the original version of this level is lost, but I managed to recover an earlier version of it and complied it. For all it's worth, it should be all right with a lot of players.
Download if you like.

http://www.openlierox.net/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=media;id=5783;dl

Pages: [1]   Go Up