Total servers: 2
Who's still around? (Forum Discussion ) by ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ March 17, 2019, 04:47:14 pm
DE nonstop + voting
Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
US nonstop + voting
Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Edit Your Server! [Tutorial]  (Read 20753 times)

Spectro

Custom Edit Your Server! [Tutorial]
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:53:27 am »
~HEX EDITING TUTORIAL EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE LXA~
So in this tutorial, I will demonstate how to edit your server to display your own cool words and phrases for in-game events. This could take a bit of time and patience (and maybe even a bit of trial and error) depending on your experience with computers, but whatever you do... don't give up. The reward of having your own custom edited server is one of the the biggest ego boosters in the community... unless of course you suck at actually playing it =D So keep in mind while taking this tutorial, that some problems are expected to arise as well as having to figure it out how to solve them. Yeh I know, its terrible huh? ...Problems zOmG!!1
Just so I know everyone is on the same note, here is an example of what I'm talking about:

Preparation:
-The first thing you'll want to do before editing your server is to backup the file called "liero.exe". This can be easily identified as a blue worm with a gun with a red X underneath. So just copy and paste the liero.exe file into a safe place outside of the LieroX directory (folder).
-Second thing you will need is somthing called a hex editor. This is a program that will let you actually change the code that runs the game. The one we will be using in this tuorial can be downloaded for free HERE. Save the hex editor to an easy to access place like perhaps your desktop or the LieroX directory.
-Finally prepare the words or phrases you'll replace the defaults with.

Editing:
So now to get our feet wet... open up the hexeditor and you'll notice a window pop up automatically. Browse for and select the liero.exe file I mentioned earlier inside the LieroX driectory. Like Hickhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... DON'T PANIC. Yes it's looks complicated and maybe even intimidating, but once you start the process, it'll be a cinch ;)

-So what we need to do next is search for key terms that will lead us to somthing we can edit. Press Alt+I (make ASCII is selected) and search the word "killed".**Note: There are 6 characters in the word killed. Since the file size of liero.exe may NOT change you are limited to the character spaces you are given. If you add more than the original bit size, LieroX just won't run. Fortunatly however, there are always ways around this =) **-You now have options: find another 6 letter word that you would like to replace it with, or use my next option to make the word or phrase a tad longer to give you more possibilities of word choices. Otherwise, you just skip this. (lazy bastard -_-)
**Another Note: You might have noticed serveral %s or %d's already. These are known as variables, which hold information about players, servers, kills, ect.-You'll notice the dots after the "%s killed %s". These are place holders. Empty space. Yes thats right! You can move everything over into these empty spaces to give you more room to replace the word "killed". Just make sure you dont mispell any variables... that would getcha a "Player got killed by ___________________" One final tip about editing is that the placeholders are not simply periods. Don't confuse the two because one has a hex value of  '2e' while the other is '00'. To get your empty placeholder back again, click on the correct digit in the hex code and write two 0's to that hex digit.

Here is a list of things you can search to edit (which will most likely be added to by our other hex-savvy members):
~'killed'
~'commited suicide'
~'has connected' (You can create your own welcome message here)
~'timed out'
~'kicked'
~'has left'

Part 2 of Hex Editing will be out soon. Look forward to learning how to make your name longer than usual, custom label the mod display in your lobby, and change other text in the game.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 02:01:17 am by SpectrumFire »

Some Random Ock

Re: Custom Edit Your Server! [Tutorial]
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 12:35:59 pm »
i kept on wanting to post this up but never got around to it, thanks dude, you rock!
im going to go do it right now
im pretty computer friendly as it is, i bet itll be easy

Some Random Ock

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 05:20:52 am »
it looks VERY intimidating, but simple enough
now all i need to know is how to make my name longer and such, thatd be cool
could you share some more of this valueble info with us? ???

Spectro

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 05:54:37 am »
At this point all you need to do is open up the player config file with the hex editor I linked to. This player file is under the "cfg" subdirectory and called "players.dat".

It's pretty self explanatory after you open it, since it follows the same concepts as in the tutorial.

>--Faisal-->

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 05:59:05 am »
Omg, i screwd up, well, can someone, send me LieroX v0.56b Pack 1.7, plz, damn it, or the damn url so i can actually play  LX

Spectro

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:05:47 am »
That's what the point of the 'Preparation' paragraph of my long time-spent tutorial was for ;)

Always keep a backup of whatever file you edit. Usually, I just keep the entire compressed folder as a backup.

Some Random Ock

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:08:08 am »
oh, DOH, of course. i dont know why i didnt experiment with the hex editor yet... :P
well, thanks again spec, U ROCK! ;D

>--Faisal-->

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:26:00 am »
Ur the best Spectro, Thx!, ur the Best! do u like hit save as and save it to the lierox.exe file u opend for hex editing!

Jesper

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 10:54:33 pm »
That's what the point of the 'Preparation' paragraph of my long time-spent tutorial was for ;)

Always keep a backup of whatever file you edit. Usually, I just keep the entire compressed folder as a backup.

Always keep a backup, should have read this before i beginned to hex  :o

Spectro

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 11:03:07 pm »
do u like hit save as and save it to the lierox.exe file u opend for hex editing!

Lol, well if that was a question, yes you save it to the original liero.exe of whatever file you happen to be editing at the time. That's how it's considered editing... because you're changing the code of the original file ;)

well, thanks again spec, U ROCK!
Ur the best Spectro, Thx!,
<3

Ahmed

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 01:14:22 am »
im not sure if anyof you read the gu... but the game developer JasonB is against this and i think if he don't like it then people shouldn't do it, it is his creation, and were abusing his hard work on taking those long and wasted years on making 56b what it is special for.
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

RuNyoufool

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 02:21:57 am »
im not sure if anyof you read the gu... but the game developer JasonB is against this and i think if he don't like it then people shouldn't do it, it is his creation, and were abusing his hard work on taking those long and wasted years on making 56b what it is special for.

I looked there but couldn't find the thread, do you have a link?
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

Ahmed

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 02:23:35 am »
its gone now, the gu got hacked and everything went back a month so the post is gone, but i'd still say don't do it:P
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

Some Random Ock

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 02:53:38 am »
i mean, i respect his hard work, but we arent really doing anything other than making our names longer or changing the mod names or making "killed" into "demolished"

personally, i dont think he is losing any credit by us doing it. its not like we are changing those hard nights of work of his into wasted time, either. were just adding our little twist to a game we love ;D

Mr. Pimp

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 03:03:36 am »
Modding and changing a game that is open source is far from illegal and should be done to make the game better.
Prize Rebel My referral links  This site actually works!
http://www.prizerebel.com/index.php?r=445079

Spectro

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2006, 03:43:55 am »
I would like to know the legal difference between producing a frontend which changes the appearance of the game, as opposed to hexing which also changes the appearance (of text) in the game.

The code is open source, as Mr. Pimp said. So changing this publically open source shouldn't make a dfference unless JasonB decides to patent the game and close the source to everyone. Anyhow, I'm sure JasonB can forgive us =P

Some Random Ock

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 04:27:37 am »
well said, to the both of you! :D
looks like u guys each get a

!BONUS PRETZEL!
and by bonus pretzel i mean a karma point...

AnubisBlessing

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 12:31:36 pm »

It's true, he did say it..
Guess why there are no such tutorials on GU?

Some Random Ock

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 02:40:16 pm »
It's true, he did say it..
i never doubted for a second that he did, in fact, say that. actually, were making statements in spite of what we presumed he said.

i dont get it, we really arent taking anything away from the game, are we?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:33:01 am by SpectrumFire »

False

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 07:00:15 am »
OffTopic:
This hexedit program can be used for other stuff aswell, yes?
Does it work for emulator ROMs?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

anything