Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sicko  (Read 1980 times)

Ahmed

Sicko
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:45:15 am »
I wrote a persuasive essay for English class a while back about Universal Health Care. The teacher ended up making our entire class watch the documentary Sicko by Michael Moore. Anyways I thought it was a good film. I am wondering what others think of Universal Health Care in the United States? Being Canadian myself I feel like it is a necessity to have. I feel like the United States does not want it because the Republicans who have big stakes in the Drug/Insurance companies do not want to lose money even if it does save people's lives. Anyways what do people think about Universal Health Care?

Also, here is a link to Michael Moore's sicko. Just watch the video and it will automatically take you to each part :).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRsuNjCvcbE&videos=ChC12RrUZAs&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

pelya

Re: Sicko
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:51 am »
Well, in ex-USSR countries we have health treatment paid by government, free for everyone. The drugs are not free of course, but they can make you a diagnosis (it's wrong, who cares) and give you a week or two paid vacation on your job (that's nifty, and really helps healing most sicknesses around).
And because it's all free, noone really cares about you, so getting into the hospital will surely lead you to even more sickness (esp when there are old women around you, who have nothing to do except for visiting clinic for free each day, and telling everyone about their numerous sicknesses).
There are private paid clinics, they kinda supposed to care, but the personnel is the same, so getting wrong treatment is quite possible there too. But it's bit better.

You still wonder why drugs cost so much? And they mostly heal symptoms, not aiding the sickness itself.

So, well, sleep a lot, don't eat in McDonalds, lift you ass from the chair once in a while to work out your body, and you'll get high immunity, which will help you more than 100 medics.

albert

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:40:19 pm »
In Germany you must have a health insurance (you are forced so by law) and there are also governmental insurances (that are the most cheap ones).

It kind of works well but there are some problems coming with it. And it's not really cheap. And the pharmaindustry is also abusing this system somewhat. But afterall I feel save because you wouldn't be able to pay most serious diseases without such a health insurance.

pelya

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:50:06 pm »
One another thing: preventing the disease is usually much easier than to heal it when you became sick and have no other options then to pay $$$ and get a month of your life lost tied to a bed.
That's the problem with most healthcare systems: they benefit when you are sick, not when you are healthy.
So it's usual to come to clinic with a plain flu, and they will find inside you tons of diseases you happily lived before with, and get your money of course.
Medical insurance is different in a way that when you are healthy the ones who get the money are insurance companies, not medics (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know the laws of your country).
So for medics it's more beneficial to do some costly operation or sell expensive drugs then to tell you that you should do some thing as simple as to eat 5 times per day to prevent stomach cancer.
Also there is the basic fact which pharmacological industry tries to hide: the body heals the sickness, not the drugs.
The drug can help, but the effects are usually negligible compared to proper treatment. So if you've got the flu you should sleep and sit at home, if you'll sip some Analgine it will remove the temperature, but the flu will remain of course. If you'll go to job you will end up with pneumonia, and eat antibiotics (which are poisonous). And if you'll be so insane to go to job right after antibiotics, well...
But it's sooo much easier to eat big red convincing pill and believe you're immediately cured, then to sit at home doing nothing, or even worse, to go out and do some sports a week before.

The ancient Chinese healthcare system was contrary to that: the imperial family had a doctor, who got paid decent money when all his patients were healthy. And if someone got sick, the doctor got fired (or executed hehe). The members of imperial family got exceptional health as you may imagine.

Wow, textwall ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:54:25 pm by pelya »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything