Total servers: 3
Who's still around? (Forum Discussion ) by Punisher for real September 20, 2019, 07:30:42 pm
Backup server NL
Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 95.46.198.26
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
baSE ReALiTy
Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 80.186.168.74
Max Kills: 15
Players:
M0rtsHeaven
Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Max Kills: 12
Players:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename OpenLieroX suggestions thread  (Read 47959 times)

RuNyoufool

Re: Rename OpenLieroX suggestions thread (votes are reset)
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2009, 01:53:41 am »
Off course the name change will come with a new version of the game including new features and a refined user interface with new graphics. Together with all changes that already come with OLX, it's a good time to do it.

And because there will be a different modding system introduced,  it will be right time (but that isn't nearly done yet right now).

So I don't think it's only a cosmetic change.
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

pelya

« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2009, 12:15:00 pm »
Another reason for name change is that I don't want the number after "Beta" to grow to two digits :D Beta10 is kinda lame, better to call it RC or change version number to 0.58 or 0.60.

I will name Beta8 as the most stable and bug-less version out of all Betas, not counting that MaxUploadBandwidth bug which was serious fail.
Beta9 was planned as a quick fix for that, but we kept adding new features and fixing existing bugs, and now we only fixing bugs, so hopefully Beta9 will be most stable of them all, and satisfy everyone.
Plus it includes some features which can change game totally - for example with join-during-game stuff and unlimited lives you can totally get rid of lobby, as Benno desired, also we have new gamemodes - H&S, Team CTF and Race.
But it still keeps the same net engine, where you have de-synchronization of your shots on your screen and opponent screen, although my "new net engine" works somehow it's still not usable.
There are too many cumulative changes, so I think we can change the name already, yet we'll try to rename it when we'll make some big change like including Gusanos code, or working new net engine ;) .

albert

« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2009, 03:07:02 pm »
Another reason for name change is that I don't want the number after "Beta" to grow to two digits :D Beta10 is kinda lame, better to call it RC or change version number to 0.58 or 0.60.

That's not necessarily a reason for a name change, but it is indeed a reason to change the way we are counting and naming the different versions. I highly agree with you. Probably the next Beta9 will be the last Beta9.

After that, I would suggest to make some rare stable releases (in the same way and time intervall we are doing the Betas now) and the Betas far more often. Also, before making a final, we can make some RCs. I would suggest that after that Beta9, we can make the first RC1 (0.60? or some higher version number. perhaps 1.0 already?) or so and then perhaps a final or another RC2.

But this is going a bit OT. But perhaps, when we are doing the name change, that could be for all versions >1, which are preparing the 2.0.

Spoon

« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2009, 04:56:56 pm »
Sorry to be a somewhat blunt blast from the past, but my original understanding of the 'Hirudo' concept was that you guys had lots of great ideas and things you wanted to put into the game, but couldn't because you wanted to keep things compatible with the arcane coding of .56b. The initial plan was to take your fresh workings and create a fully _new_ game which didn't actually tie itself to the original in any way, your own work which played similarly but was in every way better, more stable, more flexible for modding, skinning and a mapmaking.

I thought the whole point was that once you were ready you'd release something which was not infact OLX but a different game altogether, where backward compatibility with what is essentially buggy, closed source code would no longer hold you back.

Entire excercise seems rather futile if you're unwilling to take that leap of faith and make this truly your own?

albert

« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »
Sorry to be a somewhat blunt blast from the past, but my original understanding of the 'Hirudo' concept was that you guys had lots of great ideas and things you wanted to put into the game, but couldn't because you wanted to keep things compatible with the arcane coding of .56b. The initial plan was to take your fresh workings and create a fully _new_ game which didn't actually tie itself to the original in any way, your own work which played similarly but was in every way better, more stable, more flexible for modding, skinning and a mapmaking.

I thought the whole point was that once you were ready you'd release something which was not infact OLX but a different game altogether, where backward compatibility with what is essentially buggy, closed source code would no longer hold you back.

Entire excercise seems rather futile if you're unwilling to take that leap of faith and make this truly your own?

It is not anymore the case that backward compatibility hold us back. In fact, keeping it has led to more stable and clean code. And we can just implement any possible feature now and it is absolutly not a problem to keep the old LX56 physics engine in. (You just have to believe us there, because we write the code. You can of course get involved in the development if you want to help, then you can see that yourself.)

Hugglebunny

« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2009, 10:12:08 pm »
Man.. This is totally of topic. You are supposed to decide the name not the difference between the betas. Even though the name might not be on the next one. It should still be a new one. So go on find the name

albert

« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2009, 10:28:47 pm »
Man.. This is totally of topic. You are supposed to decide the name not the difference between the betas. Even though the name might not be on the next one. It should still be a new one. So go on find the name

Full ack. I moved all posts related to differences in different versions and not related to the name to another thread. If anyone wants to say something about the differences between versions, please do that in the other thread.

This thread is not about differences, it is about the name change.

The name change will take place for the next bigger extensions in OLX. That is probably when we include Gusanos support, together with a new menu system and some other new stuff.

Wooper

« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2009, 10:40:08 pm »
Please open a bug report and describe exactly in which way it is different. Don't just say that it is different. We don't have any reports at all that it is different, so I wonder about it.
Go to the game and hear the cries. ;)

RuNyoufool

« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2009, 10:40:28 pm »

it's not about having a lot of great ideas. there is no masterplan behind OLX, just restructering the code and making it possible to add "anything" (which is IMO worse then having a clear focus on where you want the game to be in say, one year from now).

But at the same time, it happens that the game will be totally different (maybe more by accident then by plan). We will give it a new, much needed interface to improve the user experience. And then there will be a complete new modding system. This won't *break* compatibility with anything old, but new mods will never work under OLX. And there will be a lot of gusanos modifications available once it's done.

If you look at it this way, you will still be able to play with older clients, but they will have a very compelling reason to upgrade to Hirudo / Liero Evolution / etc

.. and so I think it's good to give it a new name. Another reason is that many current players associate olx with bugginess. They (understandably) won't see the reasons behind those bugs, and that they happened because of a refactoring of the whole code base.

I also think that oldies keep with the old version because of cult reasons. They have had some bad experiences with a few beta's (they are called BETA for a reason..) and now it's pretty damn cool to stay with oldskool LX. Everyone that tested the latest code on a regular base knows that it's very stable and gameplay is great between beta9's.

So it's time for the final and then move on!
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

Spoon

« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2009, 08:10:04 am »
Well, taking that into account, I can't see a name better than Hirudo, or Liero Evolution. Both names have issues that will bother some people, but in their own rights they are both highly suitable names that sound good, have good reason and meaning behind them, and 'work'. In all honesty I would say it boils down to which people prefer, perhaps the liero tie is important given that this is becoming an all encompassing game which runs compatability with not just old versions of OLX and LX, but also Gusanos in the near future.

Seriously though, I think those two names fit the bill depending on what angle you're coming from, from my point of view I think no other name really challenges those two in their own rights.

Hell you could even call it Hirudo: Liero Evolution, though not as a full name since it's too long. Hirudo, with 'sub title' of Liero Evolution makes sense. Such a working title (and sub-title) works as a full rename, while tipping it's hat (in a more minor, but still significant way) to the backround if the game.

Raziel

« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:38 am »
(...)

Hell you could even call it Hirudo: Liero Evolution, though not as a full name since it's too long. Hirudo, with 'sub title' of Liero Evolution makes sense. Such a working title (and sub-title) works as a full rename, while tipping it's hat (in a more minor, but still significant way) to the backround if the game.

I can accept that. Being more detailed about the name sometimes is pretty good idea and doesn't disturb at all. Hirudo: Liero Evolution sounds just right, so as for me, you finally hit the Bull's Eye Spoon. Congratulations.

Shade

« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2009, 08:47:26 am »
One day you'll just be a memory for some people, do your best to be a good one.

Spoon

« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2009, 08:59:10 am »
Hmn, Revolution or Evolution.

I think Evolution seeing as this is a slow burning process that is a culmination of growth, rather than a sudden overthrowing of all that we know. :P

Quaqa

« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2009, 09:25:37 am »
just like spoon I dont think Revolution is a good name, because I cant really see that we or anyone else have made a revolution againt anything.

but Evolution on the other hand hit right on the spot I think. its logic, good looking, and sound right when you say it  :)
and about 'Hirudo: Liero Evolution', it could be nice, but also a bit complicated. and what would be a good shortening for it? HLE? or just LE? or just skip the liero part and have it Hirudo?

kaptengu

« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2009, 10:06:48 am »
I vote for OpenLieroX. Worst case I could go with OpenLieroX: Hirudo, not the other way around. The connection to the classic game is important. Ever heard of Gusanos? No, because you didn't know it's a Liero-clone.

The name LieroX makes the classic game Liero look good. Hirudo sounds like a modern game that looks really bad, compared to other modern games. And you can't change this without loosing the original game feeling.

Since I don't play anymore I don't really care what you decide, but I think you are making a mistake if you change it too much.

RussG

« Reply #275 on: May 26, 2009, 11:05:08 am »
Openlierox is fine, leave it

Wander

« Reply #276 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:52 pm »
Hirudo: Liero Evolution sounds well indeed!
However, we still have the same problem of domain names being taken and Google not finding us as first on the list. I think those are major issues which should not be ignored just because it 'sounds right'.

However, 'Liero Evolution' can still be a subtitle. We just have to find a better first name.
Personally i don't think a title like 'Blastiny: Liero Evolution' sounds any worse.

Spoon

« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »
Openlierox is fine, leave it

Did you miss the last 2 pages in particular where the basic decision to have a new name was justified?

Regarding length, I was suggesting the Liero Evo bit as a sub-title, and naturally it would be shortened to HLE etc if named in conversations. That stuff doesn't need to be worried about.

About the google thing. I'm not entirely sure how google works but I'm pretty sure you guys aren't either. I'm betting that if we made a site all about it, and named it all over as you would, pretty quickly we'd hit top spot on google for Hirudo, Liero Evolution. These terms are not exactly used elsewhere.

About having heard of it, i.e. Gusanos. I've heard of Gusanos because I'm that sort of person. I think a lot of people are short-sighted with regard to new people finding this game. How many players here found the game because they knew about Liero and wanted it/found the better LX? Older players, sure. Originally that was how a lot found it, the playerbase was older. Now it's mostly younger guys who get it through their mates.

I don't see people random finding this game on google, unless we do some serious marketing at larger gamesites and whatnot, and all that will require a better more polished image to present as a 'finished game'. Hell I'll even write to some big magazines that I know to be openminded regarding community driven games. But that's another topic.

The reason I named Hirudo with the subtitle is because given that overall I see Hirudo and Liero Evolution as the two most well received/accepted names, adding them together does not infact make for a bad name.. and it goes further to please more than any other suggestion I've seen so far.

Mostly I'm awaiting more opinions - don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing the name because it was my suggestion, but because it makes a logical solution to a problem that a purely creative solution will cause more animosity than agreement, due to the vastly differing values held by this widely varied community. I don't even play this game anymore, but I figured I'd try help given that this community was once a very large part of my online life.

Anyway, awaiting more comments and opinions. Preferably thought out, explained and backed up, rather than throwaway comments that don't help anyone :)

pelya

« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »
That three word name is okay for me, maybe it sounds bit like bad sequel but many good games sounded like that. And even Raziel agreed on it.
So everyone will choose the most fitting word in conversations, either Liero or Hirudo.

RuNyoufool

« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2009, 02:33:01 pm »
Looks like we're coming to an agreement :) The combination crossed my mind as well and the subtitle part isn't that bad.

SEO is not a big concern, we will get it up there. We'd only have to find a domain name. Something like hirudo-le or hirudo-game..
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up