Trick or Treat v0.4 – 100lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename OpenLieroX suggestions thread  (Read 44736 times)

pelya

Rename OpenLieroX suggestions thread
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:23:05 pm »
Hey there,

We are thinking about a new name for OpenLieroX, esp. a name which is good for people who have never heard about Liero. This old name has some drawbacks: "Liero" is an unknown word for most people so they have no idea about it. And the "X" just makes it worse.

This rename will probably be done somewhen between the release of Beta9 and the next release after that. So it's probably some months until then.

This is what we would like to have (not 100% fixed; if you found an exception which is perfect but doesn't meet one of the requirements, it's perhaps also ok):

- The new name should be short and easily pronounceable.
- It should be related to the game in an obvious way.
- It should sound either funny, cool or just like something attractive.
- Everybody should get some impression by the name, thus preferable an English name.

Some others, more practical points:
- Doesn't give a huge pile of Google results. Most importantly not something which will always be higher than our game.
[ - Domain names available. This is probably not that much an issue as we could fallback to put "-game.org" in the end or something. ]

Then there are also some names we discussed already and/or we just don't like (browse through the thread to see some reasons). So, these names will not be used:
- Hirudo
- Holez
- Liero
- OpenLiero
- Liero Y (for any number/year/date Y)
- Liero Piuha - was pelya's favorite  :'(

Here is a very rough list of suggestions. I just copied&pasted some of them here. The order here is completly random (just in the way I browsed through the thread)! If you found that an important suggestion is missing here, please say so.

- Liero Evolution - all devs agree on that to be subtitle, like XXX: Liero Evolution. Could become the main title.
- Glista - parasitic worm, but we still not rejected that name
- Blastiny - pelya's favorite, okay for Run, too serious for DC but acceptable, other devs undecided
- Ascaris - parasitic worm, but we still not rejected that name
- War Grounds - The Liero Evolution - too long for pelya, albert: War Grounds as it is a bit too general, both together are too long
- Guerrilla - sounds like gorilla for DC, others undecided
- Guerrilla Warfare - sounds like gorilla and is too long for DC, others undecided
- Earthworm Carnage - too long for DC, others undecided
- Liero Resurrection - Liero never actually died, did it? ;), too long for albert
- Liero Worlds - stolen from TeeWorlds, DC doesn't like stealing (albert: the sheme * Worlds is also not invented by TeeWorlds)
- Liero Battlefield - too long for DC, too less creative for albert, others undecided
- Swormed - too simple for pelya and DC, okay for Run
- Wormish - inferior to Swormed
- Wormod - inferior to Swormed
- Wormania - inferior to Swormed
- Wormfare - inferior to Swormed
- Wormiors - inferior to Swormed
- Wormface - inferior to Swormed
- Wormage - DC likes that, pelya doesn't
- Wyrm - inferior to Swormed, looks like a typo for albert
- Guns'n'Worms - pelya, DC and albert don't like it
- Insects Online - too long for DC, albert: I never saw insects (=flies, spiders, bees and such) in OLX, others undecided
- Beta

Some other questions which are not really that sure yet:

- Should the name "Liero" be included or not. It has the drawback of being a word that nobody understands. But it has a very strong meaning because it says about the history of the game. In the end, this question will probably be just decided by the name itself. We are not excluding all names containing "Liero".

- Should we have a subtitle. Most people liked the idea but of course it's not a must. You also have to take into account that the name should also be ok if you leave the subtitle away.

- How brutal should the name be. Or better, where is the limit. If we want to see OLX on a CD of a game magazine, some of the more brutal names will probably make that impossible. So please cut out all parasitic worm names, like Ascaris.

- Should a worm still be the main character? Should we have a main character at all? (This is not a question about how many skins we have which are all much different from that - but more if we would like to have some main character.) If not, what should our new logo look like? Our game symbol? So probably, to avoid all this new problems, we will just stay with worms (or similar).

Original post:

Hey, we wanted to rename OpenLieroX to something that's easier to pronounce for a long time, however it appeared that some of devs don't like name "Hirudo".
Run proposed name "Swormed", which definitely sounds better.
We may also try to convince Joosa Riekkinen to give us the name "Liero" which both sounds good and has an epic history from year 1999, but most probably he'll decline.

Also you may propose your own variants. ( I thought about "Helminth" but it's too brutal )

Also someone (preferably Raziel) should make a new GFX for it:

little admin edit: Probably better to call this the suggestions thread. every suggestion will be added and the most popular 6 or so get voted on in a new thread.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 03:27:35 am by albert »

miri

Re: Rename OpenLieroX suggestions thread (votes are reset)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »
Swormed sounds okay.
[Cop] miri

Hatten

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »
liero>hirudo>swormed>olx
I don't do unintentionall mistakes.

Code

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 12:36:49 pm »
IMO swormed sounds best, but it's easiest to keep Liero..
it's most known..

pelya

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »
I doubt we'll be allowed to change name to Liero, but we'll try to contact author.
Also will be nice to implement mod that would behave exactly like original Liero - with new mod engine that should become possible soon, so we will have something to brag about at least, like "total Liero v1.33 feel and support". Maybe we'll even add an option for mod writers to disable shooting through walls 8) .

RuNyoufool

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 01:20:50 pm »
How did you get the idea to reuse Liero name? This isn't the same game!!! Off course he won't permit to do it, and it would be way too confusing.

Also, to people that don't live in the North and don't know this type of game,  Liero doesn't sound familiar at all.

Swormed is a mix of Armed, worm and swarmed. It's quite easy to remember, and nothing like it exists yet. Hirudo has the big disadvantage that domain names are all taken.
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

*Gyogyi*

• AoG sucks compares to Osp, I know it, but I just act like AoG is better. I also have a crush on Bart.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +37/-4
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
  • Jordy and myself in August--RETIRED
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 01:33:15 pm »
What ever will be the final name, Liero or lierox must be included.

That has some history, and thats a real advantage.

Asking Joosa Riekkinen is worth a try. Eventough these two lieros would be different it wouldnt cause any trouble because of the really noticeable differences ;)

I believe he would even be happy that his original idea have become to something great like this one :)

Using a totally different name would be the worst we could do because how would outsiders whove just heard about liero what the newest version's name is ?

-
create your own brute here: http://kicsidzsiii.mybrute.com  (by this u also help me:)

Ruki

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 01:36:41 pm »
Think of all the Liero communities. How would they accept that? They wouldn't. It would be silly to name it Liero, it is not an updated version of it, it is a total modification.

SorZ

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 01:45:42 pm »
I agree with Gyogyi -
whatever the name will be, it should include Liero or LieroX.

RuNyoufool

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:48:41 pm »
outsiders don't just hear from Liero. That name is vanishing. How many people are still playing it? It has only meaning to a small group which is getting smaller. Try to think about new potential players instead of oldies.
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

*Gyogyi*

• AoG sucks compares to Osp, I know it, but I just act like AoG is better. I also have a crush on Bart.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +37/-4
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
  • Jordy and myself in August--RETIRED
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:57 pm »
I agree with you ruki even if I wrote something different earlier.

I will still stick to that the word liero is a good one in itself already, so that should be a part of the final name.

And if we take a look on that its the 10 years anniversary the game's name could be LieroX Millenium Edition.

People would probably use the LXM shortened version, which IMO sounds fairly well.
-
create your own brute here: http://kicsidzsiii.mybrute.com  (by this u also help me:)

Code

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 02:07:29 pm »
and if we call it Liero II ?  ;D

DarkCharlie

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:05 pm »
and if we call it Liero II ?  ;D

Or Liero X ? ;D

Hugglebunny

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 02:45:18 pm »
LXM sound cool  8)

pelya

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 03:02:47 pm »
I don't want to include any dates in the name, sounds lame for me plus what if we'll release Beta9 in year 2010? (which is not that much impossible  ::) )
I'll add LXM to the poll, and remove Liero option, but plz think up some another variant which includes Liero name. Why not LieroY or LieroZ? Oh, 1i3r0 is okay too :P Or maybe LieroNet, which should denote that it's the only version that has decent networking and multiplayer support. Or to keep it Finnish, LieroPiuha ;D it sounds the best! (had to google for online vocabulary for that, suomi people plz don't laugh on me).

Oh, also I've reset votes, 'cause Liero variant had the most votes.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:07:16 pm by pelya »

Flare

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 03:19:28 pm »
I agree with Gyogyi -
whatever the name will be, it should include Liero or LieroX.

I agree with both of you. Maybe there is no many "oldschool" LX players left, but those who still plays active or not, name "LieroX" is "important" for them, and im one of those.

Name "Hiduro" sounds stupid imo, like does "Swormed."

And for those who doesnt know what "Liero Piuha" means, Piuha = Cabel. O,o
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:21:39 pm by Flare »

fr33

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 03:20:35 pm »
Id like liero included in the name, ex. LieroX millenium, LieroX Online, but im not going to cry if not
hehee Liero Piuha  :D
piuha=wire, not net
net=verkko

Nets

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 03:37:44 pm »
Pixel Wars - that would be the right name for it :)

Code

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »
i still like Liero II xD

Ruki

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »
When you are deciding about the name take into the account that you should also consider it from wider perspective not just your own. You know the game under LieroXtreme or LieroX, or maybe you are too young for that so you know it under OpenLieroX or OLX. See, there was a change already and before that there was LieroX Pro and there could also be LieroX Enhanced... We would all like to see the word LieroX remain, as we are used to it, we grew up with it. However, this word has no meaning for new commers. Neither Liero Millenium Edition, neither Liero MMVCIDXIII or something else like that.

There should be an appealing name chosen for new commers.

I hope you agree that it doesn't matter what name it has for us, who already are in the community. What would be the point of changing the name for us!? We could remain with OpenLieroX for ever and that would be it, all happy. We are changing it with a bigger view, to get more people attracted into it and for sure we won't do that by naming it Liero. Those few nostalgics will join anyway.

I voted for OpenLieroX the first time but I'll vote for Swormed now. Unless there is no new suggestions it should be called either Hirudo or Swormed. What would be the point of changing the name from OpenLieroX into SomethingLieroSomething??? As I already said, ask yourself why we need or want a change in the first place. New commers.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 03:52:36 pm by Ruki »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up

anything