Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Special OLX version, a beta 1 with beta 2 features.  (Read 20748 times)

*Gyogyi*

• AoG sucks compares to Osp, I know it, but I just act like AoG is better. I also have a crush on Bart.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +37/-4
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
  • Jordy and myself in August--RETIRED
Special OLX version, a beta 1 with beta 2 features.
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:53:50 am »
[size=10pt]Dear players.[/size]

I would like to announce here an OLX version, which I had since the 12th of February, 2007, and which is a really stable version. It had bugs, but they are fixed now.

Big thanks to Karel Petranek, aka. Dark Charlie for that.
Originally, I'd asked him to fix it with me, because of the high amount of mostly oldschool players, who do not like betas, which 's game style differs from the old 0.56b. I could name here a lot of players, but this topic is not for that.

What is so special about this liero extreme?see the list below:

Details:

- IT was made for those as well, who do not have enough good Pc to run a beta 3 or higher or who's beta versions just lag in general.- reasons why they used beta 1 till now ;)( besides that the original beta 2 is a buggy version).

-movement is the same as in the original 0.56b, but for real.

-This version is compatible with all the betas that have come out so far. No shaking, and noone shakes for you while playing either.

- It also shows the version of players who join to the server function has been added. you can get the info by writing <version> to the server's  welcome message.  This version will appear as a beta 2, the previous beta 1 will appear as 0.56. This is for helping those who would want to organise a cw and do not want to play with ppl who still have the wallshooting bug -using it as an advantage-. Just tell them to upgrade to this version.

-this frontend may not be some's favourite, but it is at least not the standard one, and not Raziel's professional one either. It is better in usage than Raziels's because of two things: You can see FPS and ping in the old way, which is needed, and which is still not fixed in betas, here I mean that when you hide the toggle top bar, you wont be able to see your ping and FPS which is important to have a view on.
  Also, the reloading bar isnt 45 degree shaped, so you can do reloading by reflexes in the old way. ( Maybe its just important for me, I dont know, but I felt like giving the reason.)
You can look for other beta 1-2 frontends if you dont like this one. I might add some to this topic later.

Fixed:
- wallshooting bug, (for example cannon ap,missile speed in MSFII, music blaster and many other weps in 8bit warfare.) So mods can be played normally again after years. (yeah!)

- It had shown skins more times in my player profiles, so you couldnt put superskin pack in, else player profiles lagged and loaded for long.

-From now on, you  wont be invisible  and are able to join and play in servers which are hosted for more than 8. So feel free to play in those games.

- When you go to windows from ingame and then back, bullets, particles will still be visible unlike before.

Yeah, this version is unable to host formore than 8, but maybe its not needed either because betas are here for that. Compatibility to play with higher user ID than #7-8 is the most important. So if you have the crazy tought about playing a 5vs5-6vs6 cw then feel free to do it.

How to get it run:
This version is a standalone version, and I just simply made a rar file from the folder. I put some levels and mods into it, so it should work. But if you find odd things happening, I offer you to give it an other try by copying it to an original 0.56b olx pack by overwriting all files of course.

Download link:
I made 2 download links because it couldnt have been downloaded at times due to client being crowded.

http://rapidshare.com/files/188967278/OpenLX2full.rar  ---with red frontend
http://rapidshare.com/files/189370775/OpenLX2full2.rar  --- with Glossyblue frontend

Filebase download links, in case the other one is being slow !:
OpenLX2full.rar
OpenLX2full2.rar

Link to an old 0.56b pack which could be upgraded by this version:
http://www.spectrumfire.net/files/LieroX_v0.56_Pack_1.9.zip

if you dont like the frontend I have uploaded some other as well: -See previes below in the post.

1:Glossyblue
I made syphaels Glossyblue compatible with this beta 2 It is awesome thank you for that Syphael:
http://rapidshare.com/files/189263083/GlossyblueOLXbeta2.rar
Filebase: GlossyblueOLXbeta2.rar

2:Edited gigus's version:
http://rapidshare.com/files/189275317/Gigus_s_edition_for_beta2.rar
Filebase: Gigus_s_edition_for_beta2.rar

3:Edited LXS version as well, mixed some of it with syphaels( as some code was missing for beta2), now its even better :)
http://rapidshare.com/files/189280107/LXS-remakeforbeta2.rar
Filebase: LXS-remakeforbeta2.rar

4:Edited finno boss's version as well: For those who like calm darker versions.
http://rapidshare.com/files/189283542/finnoboss_seditionforbeta2.rar
Filebase: finnoboss_seditionforbeta2.rar

5: Syphels second frontend: made it for a suggestion:
http://rapidshare.com/files/189323236/Syphalesversion2forbeta2.rar
Filebase: Syphalesversion2forbeta2.rar

How to install them?:
It is simple: go to your liero extreme folder, then to Data folder, and then delete the gfx and frontend folders.
Then copy the extracted fronteds's folders here. ( you can simply do it by overwriting those as well)

I am waiting for your opinions about the game, please ignore the frontend is shit, or I dislike colour posts. Edit them by yourself then. I am curious about how it acts to you guys ingame. Here I am mainly asking oldschoolers.

Future plans:
I will also upload my 1000 lvl pack soon , for those who want more levels:), Thats not a limited lvl pack, it contains all lvls which are still existing today. Before  you would say, why to put bad lvls to a pack I tell you the main point is to have everything archived, and saved for further generation. Who knows who will find or get inspired by an unfinished lvl to make his own, or to make it better. But it will also contain some good levels which only a few guys or only I had.

super mod pack:
350 mods is the plan, maybe it will be less, and there are some subversions of 1-1 mod as well. the point is the same  said in the other case.

PS: IF someone feels like that he has some not known lvls, nvm how good they are inform me about them:). Thank you.

Last thing: please make a post here if you've downloaded the file and are willing to use it So I can get informed about that :)

Previews:
The frontend in the pack:

Glossyblue:

gigusversion:

LXS:

Finno boss's version:

Syphaels 2nd one:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:27:56 pm by *Gyogyi* »
-
create your own brute here: http://kicsidzsiii.mybrute.com  (by this u also help me:)

Ahmed

• S-GFX Designer.
  • LXA Forum Furniture
  • Schwartz: +59/-14
  • 3768 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ahmed
  • College kills your social Life.
Re: Special OLX version, a beta 1 with beta 2 features.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 03:54:10 am »
If [AoG] promotes it, then you know it's the best ;). It actually works EXCELLENT. Best release (minus the frontend) I've tried.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:02:51 am by Legendkiller »
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

Laku

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:42 am »
I downloaded it and I'm going to use it. When I tried it, it worked very well.
And I have used b1 so now that with fixes.

So it's the best for me :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:56:00 am by Laku »

[/quote]

Flare

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:28 am »
I downloaded it and I'm going to use it. When I tried it, it worked very well.
And I have used b1 so now that with fixes.

So it's the best for me :)

You took my words.

And I liked that fronted. :P

Benn0

• Im a lagging whore, if you see me in your server, PLEASE do not hesitate to kick me out! I HATE LAGGERZ ZOMG MORTORS!
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +33/-12
  • 1117 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Benn0
  • Amaranth
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 12:31:00 pm »
Movement is the same as in the pre-updated-0.56b-fps-bound physics!? L0L

Consistency!
Donate rice, improve your vocabulary

Check out Outlawz - The Movie in my profile or directly on Youtube

*Gyogyi*

• AoG sucks compares to Osp, I know it, but I just act like AoG is better. I also have a crush on Bart.
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »
No benno, I wasnt talking about the decreased FPS situation but when its normal. and it is normal unless you have a straight popup or so many other softwers running at the same time.

The ones who would use it ,know what I was talking about :)
-
create your own brute here: http://kicsidzsiii.mybrute.com  (by this u also help me:)

ONeill

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 04:25:16 pm »
Downloaded it an liked it ;)

Jage

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »
I downloaded it too. Gj. :)

SorZ

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
No plans on making it run on Mac?

*Gyogyi*

• LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:13:26 pm »
I am not a programmer myself, so You would have to ask Charles about that how much work it is needed to make it for that :)

PS: DC said that albert made the other betas compatible for mac. Maybe ask him and he will do it for you :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:17:09 pm by *Gyogyi* »
-

*Gyogyi*

• LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:24 pm »
UPdated the first post with various frontends, I hope everyone will find his favourite now !
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:13:47 pm by *Gyogyi* »
-

Michiel

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:27 pm »
May I ask where you hide those frontents?

Sakmongkol

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 07:37:44 pm »
Well I tried it and it seemed to work OK, but really, what's so great about this version compared to e.g. beta9? You say the movement is the same as in 0.56b, but for me personally it felt pretty similar to b9, except this one had certain warping-type effects which I remember from b1 though. This one also had the fancy napalm-graphic which I don't like, but I guess it can be changed.

Then, what do you mean by
Yeah, this version is unable to host for 8
I at least could host for 8 all right when I tried it. I noticed though that everyone had slightly higher pings than usually, but it was by no means unplayable.

I fail to see the purpose of of this version, unless it is just for those older players who have some psychological barrier that prevents them from trying out the latest versions. I also don't think you should take into too much consideration the people whose computers supposedly can't run the newer betas, as I think they only make up a minute portion of the whole community.

I think instead of using these 'new old' versions we should encourage everyone to try out the latest versions and report if there's something you don't like. But what do I know, I've only played for 2-3 years so I guess I can never see, feel or understand how the game should behave.

I kinda like the red frontend though.
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis

*Gyogyi*

• LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 08:01:15 pm »
Ohh, that its not able to host for 8 was a type,  I meant that its not able to host for more than 8.

Well Sak, about the rest youve written there I could just say that there is an answer for every each thing :). Thats also true that you havent played long enough to understand some of the facts Ive been talking about. And it seems you havent experienced the old movement methods and physics enough either. Thats not a problem, but thats why you cant make a difference between some things in movement, which could be really annoying when it comes to serious gaming :).  Thats why Charles usually tests the game with me. Ive helped him for years like this. And the new coded game has improved a lot, and he is usually able to fix the problems IVe mentioned.

I repeat the reasons here again:
-This version wont lag like betas for those who have not good enough Pc-s. Ive tested it, I know how its like, and its probably the same for all.

-reloading bar is the old shaped(cornered) so it wont cheat on you if you just look with half eye on it.

-it shows FPS and ping without the toggle top bar. The problem with that tiggle top bar is that if you want to see them you have to keep it on the top, but that makes the playing screen smaller, and thats annoying. If you hide it yo wont be able to see your FPS and ping anymore, so when the server has little spikes and things like that you will have no idea what is happening and it will make u suicide.

- some ppl just dont need simple versions, especially oldschoolers, who just want to play from time to time and dont need fancy features. Those are here to bring newcomers to the game and they are good for that purpose.

oh and about the explosion thing. you can change it back to the old one in 15 seconds, if you have an older version. You are right there.

May I ask where you hide those frontents?

Michiel... Ive put the download links as well. If you were not so lazy to ask about it, then dont be lazy to look through the main post in a more detailed way either :).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:02:58 pm by *Gyogyi* »
-

Michiel

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 08:08:16 pm »
oh sorry, I thought those frontents were in the b1/2 download

Michiel

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:15:35 pm »
Oh I have another question:
Can you use the frontents for B5?

I answer here:

the Glossy frontend is available for beta 5 . It was originally made for that. write 'frontend' to the search bar, then it will drop out some topics, you must find it!:)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:04:52 pm by *Gyogyi* »

Sakmongkol

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:24:14 pm »
All right, the movement and physics stuff I understand, the different versions do feel different but mostly the differences are very small. I still think there's some strange psychological stuff that makes the newer versions feel 'too different' for oldschoolers. Besides, I think you could adapt to the new physics pretty quickly, but that is ofcourse a matter of whether you want to or not. Maybe most old players don't want to.

-reloading bar is the old shaped(cornered) so it wont cheat on you if you just look with half eye on it.
I don't remember exactly how the bar looks like with the newer betas' default theme, but here's how it looks on my b9 (using the 0.56 theme):

As you can see it goes a little into the chatbox, but I mentioned this in one thread and I think DC was gonna fix it, if he hasn't already.

In that picture you can also see the topbar. Yeah sure, it makes the playing screen smaller, but seriously, it's a rather tiny difference don't you think? Well whatever, maybe it matters for some people.

I still think all those are not big enough reasons to stick to an older version, but maybe that's just me.

~ Miles Davis

*Gyogyi*

• LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:22 pm »
You can adjust to the newer physics of course.
But there are movements that does not exist or not possible to make in betas. Its under fixing, IVe talked to DC about that.  Now that affects gameplay. And in cw it matters a lot :)
-

Sakmongkol

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »
But there are movements that does not exist or not possible to make in betas. Its under fixing, IVe talked to DC about that.  Now that affects gameplay. And in cw it matters a lot :)

Well, further arguing about this might be useless, but I'll still give it a shot (sorry :P).

First, I would like to hear some concrete examples about the movement differences, because I honestly can't seem to see them myself. You have probably thoroughly discussed them with DC already though, so maybe they are not so important to be mentioned here.

There's one thing that bothers me though. I mean, do you want to make DC 'fix' the physics to resemble the older ones just because you prefer them? Of course it matters a lot in cw's, but what if the majority of players actually preferred the newer physics? If in the next release we were to go back to the older physics, it might be quite an unpleasant event for those players who have grown to like the new physics and use the latest versions.

All in all, I think there should be an open discussion, involving the whole community, about what the physics have been like, what are they like now, and how they should be. If just a couple of people develop them the way they like, and others keep using older versions because they prefer those, there is never gonna be any consistency in this game. I think this is a major problem with the game but no-one seems to be really willing to fix it.

~ Miles Davis

*Gyogyi*

• LXA Duracell Postworm
  • 2593 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To *Gyogyi*
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 10:10:42 pm »
There is nothing wrong with discussing these,  and I wont take my time to show examples to you now.
But its good to know:
The main point was when the entire developing thing started to keep it as close to the original lx as possible. Thats why Im helping DC in that from time to time. As that version was really good, and those little things make playing this game even wiser. thats why it can be played in so many ways. So many things matter. one movement is a matter of a style, others use different things  and have different styles because of that. the point is the improve the game, while making the code better, but at the same time keeping the original quality of the ingame playing's feeling.
Thats why liero was so popular before, and thats why it addicted ppl to play 24/7. That feeling is unbeatable. I cant express myself better, but most of the oldschoolers would say something like this I believe.

Next time we meet ingame I will show you a few things, mainly one example that I know about and which is annoying to me and why I would never use betas in a serious cw. Just remind me
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:31:01 pm by *Gyogyi* »
-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All   Go Up