Total servers: 3
Who's still around? (Forum Discussion ) by Qaz, Today at 03:09:48 pm
2012 (Forum Discussion ) by Adam August 18, 2019, 08:29:56 pm
[wc] Legacy of the Toilet Warriors Tribute video (Forum Discussion ) by Adam August 18, 2019, 08:24:01 pm
Holidays/Me leaving/me coming back Threads (The World Outside) by Adam August 18, 2019, 08:14:20 pm
Backup server NL
Liero v1.0 – 20lt
IP: 95.46.198.26
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Unknown
Unknown – 0lt
IP: 80.186.170.22
Game Mode:
Max Kills: 0
Version: LieroX 0.56b
Players:
M0rtsHeaven
Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Philosophies  (Read 30504 times)

Jeff

Philosophies
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:21:32 am »
I know that some of you guys are pretty deep thinkers

It would be interesting to find out what runs through your head  :)

Does anyone have any strong viewpoints on anything?

----
I'll post something that runs through my head often
----

On Life and Humanity

Humanity, as we know it, is practically nothing. We are completely insignificant, and our lives really have no impact on anything. I'm sure people could argue that we help the human race progress, but i personally believe that the human race is incapable of making major advancements.

We only are sure that humans exist on the Earth. If we take into consideration the size of our Earth, being smaller than a pixel in this diagram, we should realize how minuscule we are compared to everything else. The sun is a relatively small star. If we imagine Humanity to be one tiny grain of sand, and we take into account how much larger the sun is than earth, we wouldn't be proportional to the Universe even if there were trillions of suns filled with sand.

In conclusion, I believe that we are making great attempts to expand our field of knowledge (of the Universe), but it is impossible for a human to even comprehend even the size of a large star. How could we possibly be able to understand how dark matter rivets through the space-time continuum, how could we fathom the size of a galaxy? The only way that we will be able to make big advancements in our studies (pertaining to the Universe) is if every human could understand a bit of information, and then we all "stick our heads together." I think that it would be cool to program all of our knowledge into a supercomputer with artificial-intelligence, and then it would be able to make logical decisions for us.

If you don't understand something that i have said, I would love to discuss it with anyone of you =)

Coming next -

Universal Field Theories

(How was everything created?)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:26:19 am by Bule »

Oxygen

Re: Philosophies
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:25:37 am »
Thank-you Captain Obvious. I wouldn't call that philosophy so much as fact.

I live by these lines "Stop worrying about stuff, you're gonna die anyways". Not sure if that's much of a philosophy. =P

F1R5T!!!11one

Desmond

• 5 4 5 8 7 7 5 5 4 3 7 7 6 1 1 3 <-- the first music title! (aint it gay and lovely Haze)
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +80/-16
  • 3488 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Desmond
  • Beautiful madness.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:26:48 am »
Shortie : We do not quite understand dark matter yet. And your "Philosophy" is dangerously scientifical.

Fuego

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:27:14 am »
Congratulations. You just invented the apocalypse via the human race being conquered by artificial intelligence of our own design. Can I call you the False Prophet? xD

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 04:27:56 am »
Congratulations. You just invented the apocalypse via the human race being conquered by artificial intelligence of our own design. Can I call you the False Prophet? xD

no, i was saying that we could compile our knowledge onto one source

--

desmond,

we know that dark matter does exist, because of its gravitational effect on its surroundings

do you want me to talk about dark matter? Its pretty cool =)

And, what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:29:46 am by Bule »

Fuego

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:35 am »
Lol I was only kidding, you're obviously not the false prophet. Just to be sure... if you saw a baby holding a piece of sweet, delicious candy, would you proceed to forcefully take it? o.O

Jeff

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 04:31:24 am »
if you saw a baby holding a piece of sweet, delicious candy, would you proceed to forcefully take it? o.O

It depends, does the baby have teeth?

Would it be able to enjoy the taste of the candy?   ;)

* and please be serious, i am really interested in what people think
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:32:59 am by Bule »

MissingNo.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:33:36 am »

Jeff

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:34:42 am »
cool pic  :D

Atumbra

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 04:55:25 am »
ANSWER THIS NUBS

WHAT IS THE COLOR OF MATTER?!?/!?!??!?1

Jeff

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 04:56:03 am »
matter can not be classified as one color

great question, +karma

RuNyoufool

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 10:34:26 am »
Everyone, please follow the rules of this board.
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

Gigolo

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:41 pm »
Bule I would like to argue against your stance a bit if you don't mind...

Claim: "the human race is incapable of making major advancements"
My Argument: "major" is a relative term meaning different levels of significance to different persons. Perhaps elaborate on what you exactly mean to be "major advancements". My counter-argument is that humanity began not knowing of fire. Now we have advanced to have even nuclear energy, which is quite a "major advancement" over fire I believe.

Claim: "We are only sure that humans exist on the Earth."
My Argument: Just because we are only sure that humans exist on earth doesn't mean that they cannot possibly exist somewhere else in the vast universe. After all in the past humans were "certain" that the world was flat, and were also "certain" that the Earth was the center of the universe and all things orbited around it.

Claim: "we should realize how minuscule we are compared to everything else"
My Argument: Size doesn't always matter the most. A single drop of strong poison can kill a man faster than a massive inflatable bat. Also, just because we are relatively small, as a species, now doesn't mean that we will not grow; after all, the total population of the Earth continues to rise.

Claim: "it is impossible for a human to even comprehend even the size of a large star"
My Argument: Comprehension is different to different people, of course. Some people cannot even comprehend why certain plants die in the winter. Yet others are able to mentally balance complex chemical equations, analyze complex economic game theories, or even win a chess match at the master level without ever looking at the board. Obviously some people ARE able to comprehend the sheer size of a "large star" as Vidar's informative GIF shows.

Final Note: As for the "big advancements" in our studies of the Universe, etc. having EVERY person understanding information pertaining to the research is quite nearly impossible and yet completely unnecessary. Bringing the entire planet together to collaborate is not necessary, bringing together the best minds in the field is another thing to consider. Throwing aside international barriers and pulling the elite minds together would perhaps bring some even more impressive advancements than what we already have had. Programming it all into a supercomputer can have good or bad effects... it could quite possibly make everything easier to have open information sharing amongst all nations, and yet it could also bring apocalypse via machines. Though the latter is an extreme that doesn't seem likely, there is still an offhand chance that it could happen ;).

Sakmongkol

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 01:32:37 pm »
I still think you're talking more about science than philosophy. Besides, the thoughts in Bule's opening post were titled On Life and Humanity. I think it is unnecessary to bring in the whole universe when you want to discuss humanity, because as you pointed out it makes us seem rather insignificant and in a way makes the whole discussion useless.

You have been talking about big advancements in our studies about the Universe, now let me ask you a slightly more philosophical question: in the end, what do we need those studies and advancements for? Bule asked in the first post if anyone has a strong viewpoint on anything, and my strong viewpoint is that the whole modern human race has become too scientific. As we see in this very thread, we are supposedly talking about philosophy, but all we can do is state facts which have scientific evidence to back them up. That, in my opinion, is not what philosophy is about.
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis

Benn0

• Im a lagging whore, if you see me in your server, PLEASE do not hesitate to kick me out! I HATE LAGGERZ ZOMG MORTORS!
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +33/-12
  • 1117 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Benn0
  • Amaranth
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:32:42 pm »
Humanity and Earth aren't worth a crap if you look at the big picture. But what do we do about it? Thinking "I'm nothing" without a pile of self preservation would probably result in a mass suicide. 'Luckily' humanity hasn't dreamed of to space, we're still here and the emptiness is still out there. Zoom in a bit and you'll notice how important humanity is to the race itself. People don't care what's out there and what isn't. They care about their own and their close ones lives (well, at least the majority does).

In conclusion, I believe that we are making great attempts to expand our field of knowledge (of the Universe), but it is impossible for a human to even comprehend even the size of a large star. How could we possibly be able to understand how dark matter rivets through the space-time continuum, how could we fathom the size of a galaxy? The only way that we will be able to make big advancements in our studies (pertaining to the Universe) is if every human could understand a bit of information, and then we all "stick our heads together." I think that it would be cool to program all of our knowledge into a supercomputer with artificial-intelligence, and then it would be able to make logical decisions for us.
It is certainly not impossible for a human being to comprehend the sheer size of the world. I don't know what 4.2421 lighyears tells to you, but I'm at the very least seeing it as one hell of a distance. Out of reach - yes, out of comprehension - no.

Your supercomputer reminds me of a certain Merlin, or later Melchizedek. Having a supercomputer to make all the decisions would result in the perfect world, wouldn't it? It could indeed result in a 'perfect' world in case evolution could be stopped. A machine will theoretically evolve infinitely when they become smart enough to make smarter versions of itself. Not to mention that it would occur incredibly much faster than our biological evolution, if you are to thrust Darwin.

And what if your supercomputer is built? Wouldn't the most logical question not to care, on a universal scale, or extermination on an Earthly scale?
Donate rice, improve your vocabulary

Check out Outlawz - The Movie in my profile or directly on Youtube

MissingNo.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 10:42:58 pm »
Quote from: Gigolo
My Argument: Just because we are only sure that humans exist on earth doesn't mean that they cannot possibly exist somewhere else in the vast universe. After all in the past humans were "certain" that the world was flat, and were also "certain" that the Earth was the center of the universe and all things orbited around it.
It's extremely likely that there is life on other planets somewhere, but that doesn't mean that they will be/are humans. :P

Ruki

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 11:24:53 pm »
We are nothing compared to the space continuum but then again we are localised to our world. We are nothing even compared to our whole world. Probably we are nothing compared to our local continent as well. And we can be nothing compared to... All right, some of us are ranked number one on some German CSS server but I hope you get the idea. We don't need whole Universe (though we need whole world because of the balance, transfer, relations etc. etc.), the point is we do matter in our local environment. No system would work without test subjects. Universe would be empty without matter (no antimatter then as well). Space is filled with vacuum. Is that absurd and a paradox!? Why comparing us to something bigger than us and unknown to us? We should all realize we are nothing in the Universe so there is no point for us to exist? Existentialism? Resignation? Should I quit my job of being a human being because I'm nothing compared to a star or black hole or whole Universe? No no, it doesn't matter for me to exist. At least this is how majority thinks and they (or probably we) are right. Why breaking our head over something we won't find a solution to and missing our local job because of that?

Super computer... All good. But there are certain limitations with super computer. First of all there is a limit in poduction. We would be able to create a gigantic computer with enormous capabilities but it would cost us a fortune and it would be totally inpractical. There is another thing... AI is impossible for now. Computer works after human logics. Programmer writes a code, it "translates" it into a program which does something for you then. We are already capable of producing programs which would make decisions based on logics for us. That's how most of the programs work. We aren't capable to predict things in Space Continuum or Universe or which ever you like more so we cannot create AI which would give us perfect answers. You can create a perfect answer for the past but finding one for the future would be only predicting and guessing. If we could bend time, then it would be possible. But we can bend time!!! But again this is something to be discussed and polemics involving it will go on for a long time. Human beings live for a bunch of random emotions and feelings, that should be what daily basis consists of and this is what everybody should be left with. You take that away, you get a machine? That's why Universe and Quantum physics for me is a subject to discuss only when I have nothing better to do. I'm too small to bend spoons or travel through a wormhole. In future or some paralel dimension/world perhaps I am grown up enough to do that. I'm interested in such things, I read things, I even learned about certain stuff in school but I would leave this subject for when I would want to sound smart.

Jeff

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 11:26:30 pm »
Quote from: Gigolo
It's extremely likely that there is life on other planets somewhere, but that doesn't mean that they will be/are humans. :P

great comments!

I didn't know this would spark up such a good conversation =)

And don't get me wrong, I definitely believe that there is life elsewhere - now in the Solar System, I do not think there is Intelligent Life. But definitely, there must something out there...
----------

Thats what i was trying to get across, Ruki =)

Its good that we can see it through different perspectives. Really nice logic though =)

----------

Does anyone else have a topic that they would like to discuss?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:29:37 pm by Bule »

Adam

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 12:11:08 am »
In the topic about life "out there", I always think of the question: even if there is life somewhere else, and more specifically an intelligent one, what is the chance that it will be evolving in the same time frame as ours? If I remember correctly, there is the theory our universe has been in existence for 15 bln years (true or false, doesnt matter, its the proximity that counts). The sheer amount of time considered means that there is very little probability that intelligent races can evolve at a similar time in 2 or more places of the universe. For me that is reason enough to not take my time and think what might be "out there".
Quote from: Asrack
I missed inturpreted that wrong than.
Gezz.

Gaston

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 12:27:45 am »
While thinking we're alone in the universe is a tad arrogant, it is a bit blunt (though not necessarily wrong) to say that it's extreme likely that there are other life on other planets. For one thing, the earth is in what seems to be an extremely unlikely situation in regards to how the planet behaves. Many factors play in, among them: distance to the sun, the water and the moon, the slowed down and self-regulating nuclear fusion,  the magnetic field and Jupiter. Remove any of them, and we're hard pressed to sustain life for an extended amount of time. While the situation may be different for other planets, they're gonna need some pretty bizzare situations to sustain life in a manner compared to the earth. And while I think there's life in outer space apart from on earth and ISS, I think the image is a bit more complicated than it jujst being extremely likely.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up