Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripping, Psycedelics, and the Chaotic Mind  (Read 3281 times)

Spectro

Tripping, Psycedelics, and the Chaotic Mind
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:42:03 pm »
This is a topic that interests me more than most. Perhaps my knowledge is limited and perhaps I'm entering into territories too dangerous to be speaking about if some authorities had their way- but no matter- the psychedelic experience is a subject uncharted by science and should spark curiosity in all of us as a result. I believe where curiosity exists, so should an exploration. So for the sake of keeping things exciting around here, I feel its my duty to explore the subject. :]

The psychological effects from any tripper substance ranging from magic mushrooms, LSD (acid), peyote, salvia, DMT, and hundreds of other psilocybin-saturated herbs tend to carry weight polar opposite to the way the human mind has evolved to think [thus far]. Chaos, confusion, and the inability to process things in a familiar fashion are common results to the psychedelic experience. But what if we merely label the experience as chaos and confusion in relation to what we know? To describe new ideas, we relate them with prior ideas- this process often lacks relevance to the new idea. Our description of a modern computer system will differ from that of an ancient Roman's. What he calls magic, we call technology. Communication revolves around finding common ground and using that common ground to explain ideas. If we have so little to compare the psychedelic experience to, why are we assuming the truth from authorities who have no experience of their own? This is an imposition to curiosity- a boycott on relevant facets of human exploration.

I was raised to believe drugs were tools of satan put on earth as the apple noone was to eat. It's no secret that fundamental Christian beliefs hold their followers to this. My experiences and observations with religion have brought me to believe religion is a form of control. It's a psychological reward system created with great intent, but because of the steadfast assertions built into its religious tradition, there is no room left for it to evolve liberally. James Stockdale said it best: "A liberally educated person meets new ideas with curiosity and fascination. An illiberally educated person meets them with fear."

I define my personal experience with psychedelics as an overwhelming spasm of new ideas. As the essence of imagination. Of possibilities granted with intrinsic confidence.

Depending on the mind and person, that kind of thing could be VERY unproductive. Personally, its like a breath of fresh air to me. I've come back from every trip feeling like a bigger person- especially when tripping with a friend. It's good to trip with somebody because you're in it together. I realize just how damn small and helpless I can be and then realize just how much easier it is when somebody is there you can rely on. We're all in this life together, so why not make it easier by simply being nice.

I've had too many great experiences with psychedelics to count. I find nature is the easiest place to reflect. Anything non-synthetic tends to inspire truth. Like climbing a big tree. It turns into a playground for mind and body both. Then looking out over the fields as the wind blows waves and patterns so eloquently. Everything's so beautiful and perfect just as it is, even as randomly as it plays out. Perfection is a state of contentment. What the unwary pessimist names imperfection I see as another facet of the immaculate. "The woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

Then I meet with the onset of confusion. The most important thing I've learned about tripping is how to dodge poisonous thought. Once you think something is greater than you, that's already become an objective reality and the proceeding thoughts follow it. The mind thinks in patterns, in flows. If you focus yourself into something you like/want while disregarding everything else, *you will become that which you want*. Always. I want focus. It's something I think we all want. But how do we focus on focus :]? By accident. This is what chaos is about. Possibilities. If you're stuck in a bad trip (confusing thought patt that you can't seem to simplify/control), you need to accept that you are wrong. Whatever it is that's causing you to feel so bad won't change, so the only way to get around it is to change yourself. Do it. If there seems like there's no way out, let chaos bring you a new possibility you never considered. Chaaaaaossss!!!!1one Chaos theory explains that one tiny little change in habbit can cause an entirely different result. Like the butterfly effect. The brain is supposed to function chaotically. It's the only way we evolve and learn. Our imaginations are elaborate clusters of neurons firing off in the most randomass patterns. Ever look at a fractal? That's like what's goin on in your head.

Coming back from a trip is a critter of its own. You just experienced what its like to be psychotic. No really, you just induced psychosis upon your perfectly sane mind. (To put psychosis into perspective for you all, some of the greatest minds of humanity were labeled crazy people. There's nothing wrong with it when it has productive intent =D) So you are surfacing from chaos back to the reality you once remembered. But something's changed. Remember how everything is relative? The last few hours of your life was extreme pleasure, extreme pain, extreme amazement,and extreme confusion. Now returning to familiarity, the mind fools itself into thinking everything is easier than it was. Everything is now simple and you again have control... but now it seems you have more. All things relative. The return to reality- the resurfacing- is a great time to learn. The mind becomes a clean slate on which you can draw conclusions simply. Everything is suddenly objective and frank.

IMO the psychedelic perspective is a delicacy that must be treated as such. It's boundless, sacred, and ridiculously fun when treated with respect- whatever that may be for you. I want to hear other people's experiences and reflections! I can only just scratch the surface =D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:40:29 am by Spectro »

Spectro

Re: Tripping, Psycedelics, and the Chaotic Mind
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 06:32:06 am »
Dude I know at least 10% of you guys have been to Amsterdam, where's the love in this thread? =P

Savory

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 06:52:26 am »
I usually get like this with the onset of fever and sickness, and I can say it's a very strange way to be. 

I liked the theory someone made that the mind is simple a heavy filter on the world, breaking it down into things we can comprehend and deal with on a day to day basis.  When things break down your consciousness you begin to experience the "real world" and all it's sensory overload.

I dunno if I believe it, but it's a fun thought.

Spectro

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:36:02 am »
Right on the money with sensory overload. Before propaganda labeled  psychedelics as "mind control drugs" , they were widely known as "consciousness expanding drugs". Plenty of scientific evidence to support this concept aswell. LSD actually bridges the little gaps between your neurons where electrical signals are passed. It's like giving the brain steroids- without the withdrawal.

Savory

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:07:46 am »
I wonder if any great minds... or very troubled minds have been tested for the quality of their brains connections.  A great cause for genius is a heightened understanding, or a wider view port of what's around us.

Spectro

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:03 am »
[ log entry 11.23.08 - magic tea and battles into selflessness ]

brewed two cups of magic tea around noon. used 1/4 oz shrooms (70% caps) boiled and mixed with an abundance of powdered instant-tea (tasted like shit without the mix). an hour had passed and the initial onset of the effect had become nothing but a piece of history. the story that follows can serve my experience no justice. words just aren't enough for this kinda thing.

this induced insanity held me face to face with fears, doubts, and the confusion derived. the safety thoughts i floated upon in such moments of panic suddenly became this disappearing mirage the more i pleaded for them. my backup system for sanity had no backup. i was loosing it. the harder i thought the more it hurt and the scarier i became to myself. my mind rode waves of doubt, unsure of how to escape. but oh, a new memory. the secret is defining my intent. what do i plan to accomplish? i can only ignore the torment when my decisions align themselves with what i truly want. problem was, in the clouds of confusion i found myself struggling to find a decision i really wanted. nothing was right, and now every second the clock ticked, a swelling feeling of unsettlement and fear of more of it crept on me. it was an endless cycle, an inescapable trap. and i was falling in. then suddenly chaos revealed an opportunity. who am? what am i now? i asked myself these questions to search for an answer- to find my intent based on what i know i know of myself. when i looked over at my friend, it was like i flicked on the lightswitch. when i looked i saw the same confusion and doubt vortexing in my head in his too. then the revelation. i call it relative existence. i live my life relative to those around me and strive to be better.. not for gloat, but because _i know_ something better can come of things for that person and the only way they'll understand is if they see an example. and i can be it. there, i rest in my mental mantra of selflessness, an aurora of hope and content. i popped up off the floor to enjoy it with my friend. "dude lets go climb the biggest tree we can find" he looked up wide eyed in some sort of amazement "and smoke some while we're at it... no such thing as too high right?" and we burst out laughing at the moment. :]
Pages: [1]   Go Up