Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The Liero Xtreme [TLX]  (Read 5502 times)

Tafka

Re: The Liero Xtreme [TLX]
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »
So, I made small updates to this.
I will upload screenshots, so if anyone would actually like it and would want to download it, say here. I don't want to upload the massive size for nothing. :)

Main page

Server list

In-game and game-over

Options

Lobby (The settings has a special background on it's own now).

So, any better? Waiting for comments from all and Raziel too, what he thinks and all. Some tips could be useful too.
Tried to keep it dark/dark-green themed, besides the text.

Desmond

• 5 4 5 8 7 7 5 5 4 3 7 7 6 1 1 3 <-- the first music title! (aint it gay and lovely Haze)
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +80/-16
  • 3488 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Desmond
  • Beautiful madness.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 09:46:46 pm »
Horror/death theme doesn't really fits LX.

Raziel

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 10:07:26 pm »
Perhaps it is me. I love blue color and blue themes. Some bright or dark ones are nice, if there is some blue too.
You prefer green and red. In MY opinion, green with red is ugly mix. I tried some time ago all possibilities to mix these two colors, making gradients and shadows, and I never liked it.

Green is cold and calm color, usually.
Red is hot, warm, agressive color.

You can't make these two colors fit nicely, Tafka the princess (your banner is also made out of these two colors, and as for me, again, it looks disgusting).

With green color you can use yellow, blue but not red.
With red you can use brown, orange, yellow as well, but not green, not blue.

Black and white are universal colors, which can match every theme if you use them properly.

Buttons aren't really readable, as for me. They don't blend to the grave theme, because you use plain font as buttons instead of making ACTUAL buttons.

Now this what annoys ME the most in all of your frontends is below.
This frontend is made of a picture, changed a bit in some graphic editor and a font used as buttons. It's not INTERFACE, it's a picture and a font. This is why I will not like this kind of frontends, they aren't original, don't look like game interface, don't look professional, don't require this much effort, don't look this good as could.

Tafka

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:26:22 pm »
Perhaps it is me. I love blue color and blue themes. Some bright or dark ones are nice, if there is some blue too.
You prefer green and red. In MY opinion, green with red is ugly mix. I tried some time ago all possibilities to mix these two colors, making gradients and shadows, and I never liked it.

You can't make these two colors fit nicely, Tafka the princess (your banner is also made out of these two colors, and as for me, again, it looks disgusting).

Black and white are universal colors, which can match every theme if you use them properly.

Buttons aren't really readable, as for me. They don't blend to the grave theme, because you use plain font as buttons instead of making ACTUAL buttons.

Now this what annoys ME the most in all of your frontends is below.
This frontend is made of a picture, changed a bit in some graphic editor and a font used as buttons. It's not INTERFACE, it's a picture and a font. This is why I will not like this kind of frontends, they aren't original, don't look like game interface, don't look professional, don't require this much effort, don't look this good as could.

Okei, thanks. Was hoping for such a good reply.

Perhaps green and red doesn't fit, I don't know. I like it at least, when it is in full-screen mode and the screen is full of it, everything goes bigger and it is better readable. First reason I used red was that I liked red/black, then I turned some of the things green, and it seemed to be good. I then again used green more and more, some one backgrounds some on else, and it started looking better. The fonts were actually well readable, so I kept them. I thought that green on green wouldn't be well readable, white would be disgusting on green, black (well, darker text on lighter background never works), blue and green would go together  perhaps, but it would be kinda same as red-green, text would be readable, but still not the perfect match. So I did not think of any better colour to use for text (and it would of taken 3 hours to edit it all again), so I left it.

Well the buttons: I agree they are simple and boring. But again, in bigger view they might look just a bit better. I wanted some simple font, like I used for main titles. I browsed through most of the fonts, and they all looked damn curvy and fancy. Probably something like Options is written of in 4th preview. So that was the only one I had. I thought that making colours match would be good. One thing I found bad with my previous frontends was that I didn't actually sync them. So I  took the effort and put them all on one line and then started putting butons to correct places. I took a paper and a pencil, went to LieroX to check all of them, wrote down how many pixels in which direction to move, and did so for few times. All together it took pretty long time. But then again, I first made it red, then thought how to make the rollover button. I put it green and gave it dark red outer glow, it looks pretty OK, but must agree the font looks simple, but I don't really know what can I do so fancy in 20 pixel height.
What would you suggest under buttons?

The last thing: background rip-off. Well yes, I searched them from somewhere on the internet. There are clean type interfaces and then again something with meaning. Well, I had this "death" style everywhere, so I just searched for those. Again, set some border, with dark outer glow, and it looked better there. Gave it some colour, and then used burn tool on the edges, to make them darker and inside lighter.
I am not good enough to actually make some worm or so by myself (as you saw from kinky), so I didn't know what to put as background. Some simple things like gradient and some lines or whatever would be good and clean, but I just prefer the other style. The point wasn't to make it 100% myself, but to make it look good.

Sakmongkol

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 02:24:19 am »

It might be indeed difficult to make red and green fit in nicely but it's not impossible like you seem to be saying. According to the red-yellow-blue color model, red and green are complementary colors and thus often used as the basic colors in many kinds of different artworks, in the same manner as blue and orange or yellow and purple. I agree that in the frontend in question the two colors don't fit together so well, but it could be done with a little more work.

So, I'm just saying you shouldn't make statements like that as if they were carved into stone. The fact that neither you nor Tafka could make them fit doesn't prove that it can't be done.
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis

Ahmed

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:33 am »
It kind of loooks like Haunted house meets christmas :p. I don't like the color scheme just doesn't fit together.
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

Raziel

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 09:42:29 am »

It might be indeed difficult to make red and green fit in nicely but it's not impossible like you seem to be saying. According to the red-yellow-blue color model, red and green are complementary colors and thus often used as the basic colors in many kinds of different artworks, in the same manner as blue and orange or yellow and purple. I agree that in the frontend in question the two colors don't fit together so well, but it could be done with a little more work.

So, I'm just saying you shouldn't make statements like that as if they were carved into stone. The fact that neither you nor Tafka could make them fit doesn't prove that it can't be done.

As first:

As second:
I was talking about red and green colors mix ONLY, especially this dark green and dark red which Tafka was using. Without any additional colors from the whole RGB rainbow. These two colors only, they dont match at all. I've seen hundreds of green + red artworks. As exanple we could take many types of logo, especially these related to some fruits or vegetables. But again, in my opinion these two colors arent anything nice to work with. It won't look nice for eyes, it will be confusing or agressive. As for game interface, it's not the best choice really - again, IN MY OPINION.
I just dislike red and dark green.

miri

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 11:17:07 am »
Looks better than before, but still not perfect.
[Cop] miri
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

anything