Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Liero Xtreme [TLX]  (Read 5498 times)

Tafka

The Liero Xtreme [TLX]
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:59:17 pm »
The Liero Xtreme

The Liero Xtreme is a new version of Liero Xtreme Patch 2008 by Dark Charlie.
Original source by JasonB, which was made into Liero Xtreme Patch 2008, then The Liero Xtreme by me and DC.

The story: I actually wanted to mess around with the LieroX 0.56 code myself and make it better a bit, but then DC told me that he already did it and sent me Liero Xtreme Patch 2008. I used it, but found out that there could use some modifications. At first I decided to change just all the font colours, and perhaps some of the other colours. Then I dug myself deeper into the code, and found out that I could do some more. Dark Charlie was helping me with the things. I then decided to do some more changes and more changes, til I actually found it good, and ready. To be the LieroX I want to use. The main goal was to stay loyal to original LieroX game experience, but improve anything around it. That is how TLX was born.

Changes after LieroX patch 2008:
    Screenshots are now saved in .png format
    Smaller chances for no spawn bug
    Lobby has a separate background
    Optimized startup - removed images TLX doesn't use, and they don't load at startup
    Removed "Ready" button and icon
    Ingame chatbox has a background now, but it can be turned off from HomeDir\cfg\options.cfg, under [Advanced]
    Lobby chatbox has now a transparent background
    There are black and white teams instead of blue and yellow  8)
    95% of the font colours are changed into somewhat red or green colour.
    Lobby players list is optimized
    Removed unnecessary messages
    Made many backgrounds semi-transparent, to make looks better.
    Changes titles of some things.
    Screenshots folder named from scrshots to Screenshots

Maybe some more I don't remember of.

* New frontend by mostly Gigolo!
Great credits for creating the new frontend to him.

It can be separately downloaded from here
*Note: The frontend is also originally included in the package. If you don't like it for some reason, you can just replace.

This pack is a standalone, which means it can run without any other files. Still, this should be used as a patch. Or you could just unpack it to somewhere, and add levels , skins and mods. This pack includes some of the levels and skins I like, but other people don't have. So this could be just for to expand the levels usage.

The pack contains of 24 levels, 31 skins and 5 mods.

I suggest to download this to anyone that likes Liero Xtreme 0.56, but is tired of all the crashes. This should have a bit improved FPS, and very many bugfixes. Actually, during the testing time I only found 1 bug, which was no respawn bug, but it happens only if other player is using older versions of OLX or LXPro. If you don't like the looks (not frontend editable), then I can not do much about it, since it takes loads of times actually, to change it all. I wont be putting any screenshots, whoever is interested, just try it out. ;)

You can find LieroX patch 2008 here

Special thanks to:
Dark Charlie, for all he did, ;)
Gigolo, for frontend!! and all other.

And some thanks to:
Cizin, for leaving NB-AT
Krystal, for loving Kinky.

Release date: 14th of July 2008.
Size: ~18MB

DOWNLOAD

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:39:25 pm by Tafka »

Griffin

Re: The Liero Xtreme [TXL] v0.15
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:03:39 pm »
Download seems to be broken.

Edit: No need to post again: Okay :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:07:14 pm by Griffin »

Tafka

Re: The Liero Xtreme [TXL] v0.15
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:24 pm »
Download seems to be broken.
I was creating the thread during DC uploads it. Will be up in a moment. :)

joni

Re: The Liero Xtreme [TLX]
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:24 pm »
Yay! Cant wait to download this. Before i've even downloaded this: Thanks Tafka, and others who has done this. :)

Tafka

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »
Download is available now! :) Enjoy it whoever likes it.

Oh, and here is Kinky. The first supporter of this.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:39:29 pm by Tafka »

joni

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:23 pm »
K downloading it and going to test, ill post did I like it later. :)

Edit: Well things i've noticed in first use: The frontend isn't looking nice. :P
And nice way to get some attention for NB-AT by putting it to the lobby text.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:58:06 pm by joni »

Raziel

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 12:36:27 am »
Right.
What is it supposed to be?

"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY EVERYONE!!! FAFKA CAN MAKE SOMETHING TOOO!!!!!! WOHO I ROCK"

Everything in it is damn ugly. No idea where the **** is your aesthetic sense. All the morons who try to create uber cool dark frontend with lots of red and black colors simply SUCK. I can't really stand these silly tries. There is NOTHIGN original. Buttons are with hell lot of ugly bevel and emboss effect, and THAT'S IT! Is it really so hard to create something outstanding and beautiful? Really? Oh.. then why you even try? Geeeeeeeeez. Tafka go home. Gigolo too. And I have no idea what did you do with them Karel, but it was wrong idea really. Learn to do things right before making such a big speech about your "creations".

Kinky sucks balls btw.

DreaM

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 01:00:23 am »
Right.

Everything in it is damn ugly. No idea where the **** is your aesthetic sense. All the morons who try to create uber cool dark frontend with lots of red and black colors simply SUCK. I can't really stand these silly tries. There is NOTHIGN original. Buttons are with hell lot of ugly bevel and emboss effect, and THAT'S IT! Is it really so hard to create something outstanding and beautiful? Really? Oh.. then why you even try? Geeeeeeeeez. Tafka go home. Gigolo too. And I have no idea what did you do with them Karel, but it was wrong idea really. Learn to do things right before making such a big speech about your "creations".

Kinky sucks balls btw.

ok master.

MissingNo.

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 01:27:35 am »
Right.

Kinky sucks balls btw.

Nobody can be Picasso like you Raz. If you're going to comment or give criticism, don't be a stupid dick about it.
Learn to think before you start typing.

Ahmed

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:39:12 am »
Actually. The frontend is really hard to understand. Colors of the buttons don't flow with the background and are really hard to see. Nothing really flows. Nice try but not something i'd use.
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

Tafka

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:41 am »
Okei. :) I didn't make it for public at first anyway, just for my own use. But I sent it to 2-3 people or so, and they said it's good. There are many LX patch users, but some players use OLX 1-2 or LXPro latest versions, cause they are still like LX a bit. The thing is that those versions are a bit more unstable and they are UNSAFE!. Dark Charlie can not be blamed about anything on this. Frontend files go to Gigolo, and I think he did a pretty nice job with it. Whoever does not like it does not need to download it. I find the client to pwn at least, for me.
If you read the story a bit raziel, you said "what did you do with them karel, but the idea was wrong really."
What's with
"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY EVERYONE!!! FAFKA CAN MAKE SOMETHING TOOO!!!!!! WOHO I ROCK" ?

I said that Dark Charlie did all the work, the biggest part of the work. I only just edited stuffs in the code. I did not say that I created the whole damn thing.

The buttons are in their own place, doesn't go up or down when you click on them. As I said, anyone can change if they doesn't like them. You are annoying person. And you can go home yourself. It's not like all your artworks pwn? 100% can't be a success. In fact, I hate Lamda razvisited, that is plain ugly, and I didn't like your OLX3+ frontend either. The frontend was nice yes, but I didn't like it just.

Joni: And nice way to get some attention for NB-AT by putting it to the lobby text.
Hehe, Yeah. Good, but small so it doesn't burn your eyes.

Anyway, thx for the feedback.. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:28:46 pm by Tafka »

pelya

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 09:04:03 am »
Hey Tafka, fix self-shooting bug for me plz  ::) and I don't give a shit about frontends, why so much effort in changing how it looks if it's still the same buggy game?

Raziel

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 09:14:26 am »

Nobody can be Picasso like you Raz. If you're going to comment or give criticism, don't be a stupid dick about it.

RazAss'o you mean.

Wait, you really dare to think that I actually do not think before I put my thoughtful replies online?
I can even draw you my thoughts, but for that I would need need Tafka's neck picture and screen my hands grabbing somethign, tightly.
Being a dick is working well. I'm a guy after all, show offing with my e-fallus.

Now seriously - what did you expect? A constructive critique? Honestly? Constructive one could be posted IF there was any stable "construction" to begin with, and only A FEW minor fixes would be needed. In there you have a total mess and nothing to fix really. Whole frontend should be done from scratches to begin with.
Anyway, Im done. Keep saying "nice work! I will certainly use it" guys. You are all great at being blind.

EDIT:

What's with
"HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY EVERYONE!!! FAFKA CAN MAKE SOMETHING TOOO!!!!!! WOHO I ROCK" ?

I said that Dark Charlie did all the work, the biggest part of the work. I only just edited stuffs in the code. I did not say that I created the whole damn thing.

Orly?

Original source by JasonB, which was made into Liero Xtreme Patch 2008, then The Liero Xtreme by me and DC.

Other than that, tsh tsh tsh.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:48:46 am by Raziel »

Sky

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 11:20:12 am »
I didnt like it but you were trying to do something (I dont see nothing bad about it), that gives my respect to you Tafkanito.
Keep going, thats how people get experience.

IRC

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 04:20:52 pm »

RazAss'o you mean.

Wait, you really dare to think that I actually do not think before I put my thoughtful replies online?
I can even draw you my thoughts, but for that I would need need Tafka's neck picture and screen my hands grabbing somethign, tightly.
Being a dick is working well. I'm a guy after all, show offing with my e-fallus.

Now seriously - what did you expect? A constructive critique? Honestly? Constructive one could be posted IF there was any stable "construction" to begin with, and only A FEW minor fixes would be needed. In there you have a total mess and nothing to fix really. Whole frontend should be done from scratches to begin with.
Anyway, Im done. Keep saying "nice work! I will certainly use it" guys. You are all great at being blind.

EDIT:

What's with

Orly?

I sence someone being jealous, that he didn't get as much appreciation for his work, who he clearly copy pasted from Hitman. Sure it looked nice and all, but did you really think it out from scratch? How about you start acting mature, you are after all the adult among them!
Cop is my legacy.

Loop

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 05:29:34 pm »
I sence someone being jealous, that he didn't get as much appreciation for his work, who he clearly copy pasted from Hitman. Sure it looked nice and all, but did you really think it out from scratch? How about you start acting mature, you are after all the adult among them!

Aside from Raz's peculiar way of expressing love.... which i don't share but still understand...

... you have really had to dig deep under to get soo much bull...

it is clear that he got inspiration and details from hitman cover image, brownie points for you for the epic discovery! However the birth of that image AND the whole frontend is quite hard and looooooooooong handwork, which you obviously have no idea of. Being the "uncle" who followed that same work, I feel quite pissed to even hear about copypasting and similar. Had you a filter on your ears and glasses on your eyes you'd get the meaning under apparently overly assholish Raz's speaches but especially you wouldn't bash the frontend.

I'll tell abt frontend when i get home...

Edit:

Well... maybe also about the pack tho i can only evaluate what's written since there is no linux version ^^

As for the frontend... background is nicish alas not blended with fonts enough to make them clear and sharp and nicely integrated.
Especially QUIT gfx is totally awkward, being thinner and less fancy than other fonts used. Details are completely left behind: from cursors to sliders and checkboxes it's all either a palette-swap of the default or some weak modify. Options title font is quite likable and white glare adds to the effect but it's not enough. The overall problem, i think is that things are one on another, try to make them more organic next time rather. your car's panel or your cellphone after all have some basic design that make the buttons fit well with the background, not just stand above.

Game:

optimizations and debugging are nice and some of them could be considered for the main patch. added options increase value a bit too... color scheme isn't my fave actually but that's personal op.
I honestly would like to see your efforts finalized to the improvement of the main patch or, even olx->hirudo project... an open source project never despises more hands...

Ciau
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:21:31 pm by Loop »

Tafka

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:42 pm »

RazAss'o you mean.

EDIT:

What's with

Orly?

:D ok. Should I now bold the DC after that? I said it was made by me and DC, which is true. It all says so.
LieroXtreme by JasonB
LieroX patch 2008 by Dark Charlie
The Liero Xtreme by me and Dark Charlie.

So it shows that Dark Charlie did all the work on 2nd version and with me on 3rd version. Yes I did pretty much work on "The Liero Xtreme" too, I worked on some frontend details too like netgame_background and lobby background and maybe some else. Dark Charlie helped fix me the no spawn bug and showed me how to do .png file working, also guiding me about netgame_background, but I did a lot myself too there. I worked weeks on it. Even though I am not as 1337 coder as he is, I did my part too. I also listed changes made there, they are not too many, as you can see, but there are.

You didn't think that through, did you?

Ye sure, find my picture from my profile, but leave Kinky out of this! He is innocent.

Hey Tafka, fix self-shooting bug for me plz  ::) and I don't give a shit about frontends, why so much effort in changing how it looks if it's still the same buggy game?

Saw your mini-text too. :D But I think DC already fixed it on LieroX patch 2008, at least so it says on his thread. Or how would I fix it to not totally shoot yourself? That would be kinda hack. :(

miri

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 10:43:19 am »
Why are there black and white teams anyway?
[Cop] miri

Tafka

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:45 am »
Why are there black and white teams anyway?
Cause I liked them..

MissingNo.

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 12:02:49 am »

RazAss'o you mean.

EDIT:

What's with

Orly?

That's actually the first nice reply you've given me for talking back to you. :P

Tafka

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 09:34:46 pm »
So, I made small updates to this.
I will upload screenshots, so if anyone would actually like it and would want to download it, say here. I don't want to upload the massive size for nothing. :)

Main page

Server list

In-game and game-over

Options

Lobby (The settings has a special background on it's own now).

So, any better? Waiting for comments from all and Raziel too, what he thinks and all. Some tips could be useful too.
Tried to keep it dark/dark-green themed, besides the text.

Desmond

• 5 4 5 8 7 7 5 5 4 3 7 7 6 1 1 3 <-- the first music title! (aint it gay and lovely Haze)
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +80/-16
  • 3488 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Desmond
  • Beautiful madness.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 09:46:46 pm »
Horror/death theme doesn't really fits LX.

Raziel

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 10:07:26 pm »
Perhaps it is me. I love blue color and blue themes. Some bright or dark ones are nice, if there is some blue too.
You prefer green and red. In MY opinion, green with red is ugly mix. I tried some time ago all possibilities to mix these two colors, making gradients and shadows, and I never liked it.

Green is cold and calm color, usually.
Red is hot, warm, agressive color.

You can't make these two colors fit nicely, Tafka the princess (your banner is also made out of these two colors, and as for me, again, it looks disgusting).

With green color you can use yellow, blue but not red.
With red you can use brown, orange, yellow as well, but not green, not blue.

Black and white are universal colors, which can match every theme if you use them properly.

Buttons aren't really readable, as for me. They don't blend to the grave theme, because you use plain font as buttons instead of making ACTUAL buttons.

Now this what annoys ME the most in all of your frontends is below.
This frontend is made of a picture, changed a bit in some graphic editor and a font used as buttons. It's not INTERFACE, it's a picture and a font. This is why I will not like this kind of frontends, they aren't original, don't look like game interface, don't look professional, don't require this much effort, don't look this good as could.

Tafka

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:26:22 pm »
Perhaps it is me. I love blue color and blue themes. Some bright or dark ones are nice, if there is some blue too.
You prefer green and red. In MY opinion, green with red is ugly mix. I tried some time ago all possibilities to mix these two colors, making gradients and shadows, and I never liked it.

You can't make these two colors fit nicely, Tafka the princess (your banner is also made out of these two colors, and as for me, again, it looks disgusting).

Black and white are universal colors, which can match every theme if you use them properly.

Buttons aren't really readable, as for me. They don't blend to the grave theme, because you use plain font as buttons instead of making ACTUAL buttons.

Now this what annoys ME the most in all of your frontends is below.
This frontend is made of a picture, changed a bit in some graphic editor and a font used as buttons. It's not INTERFACE, it's a picture and a font. This is why I will not like this kind of frontends, they aren't original, don't look like game interface, don't look professional, don't require this much effort, don't look this good as could.

Okei, thanks. Was hoping for such a good reply.

Perhaps green and red doesn't fit, I don't know. I like it at least, when it is in full-screen mode and the screen is full of it, everything goes bigger and it is better readable. First reason I used red was that I liked red/black, then I turned some of the things green, and it seemed to be good. I then again used green more and more, some one backgrounds some on else, and it started looking better. The fonts were actually well readable, so I kept them. I thought that green on green wouldn't be well readable, white would be disgusting on green, black (well, darker text on lighter background never works), blue and green would go together  perhaps, but it would be kinda same as red-green, text would be readable, but still not the perfect match. So I did not think of any better colour to use for text (and it would of taken 3 hours to edit it all again), so I left it.

Well the buttons: I agree they are simple and boring. But again, in bigger view they might look just a bit better. I wanted some simple font, like I used for main titles. I browsed through most of the fonts, and they all looked damn curvy and fancy. Probably something like Options is written of in 4th preview. So that was the only one I had. I thought that making colours match would be good. One thing I found bad with my previous frontends was that I didn't actually sync them. So I  took the effort and put them all on one line and then started putting butons to correct places. I took a paper and a pencil, went to LieroX to check all of them, wrote down how many pixels in which direction to move, and did so for few times. All together it took pretty long time. But then again, I first made it red, then thought how to make the rollover button. I put it green and gave it dark red outer glow, it looks pretty OK, but must agree the font looks simple, but I don't really know what can I do so fancy in 20 pixel height.
What would you suggest under buttons?

The last thing: background rip-off. Well yes, I searched them from somewhere on the internet. There are clean type interfaces and then again something with meaning. Well, I had this "death" style everywhere, so I just searched for those. Again, set some border, with dark outer glow, and it looked better there. Gave it some colour, and then used burn tool on the edges, to make them darker and inside lighter.
I am not good enough to actually make some worm or so by myself (as you saw from kinky), so I didn't know what to put as background. Some simple things like gradient and some lines or whatever would be good and clean, but I just prefer the other style. The point wasn't to make it 100% myself, but to make it look good.

Sakmongkol

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 02:24:19 am »

It might be indeed difficult to make red and green fit in nicely but it's not impossible like you seem to be saying. According to the red-yellow-blue color model, red and green are complementary colors and thus often used as the basic colors in many kinds of different artworks, in the same manner as blue and orange or yellow and purple. I agree that in the frontend in question the two colors don't fit together so well, but it could be done with a little more work.

So, I'm just saying you shouldn't make statements like that as if they were carved into stone. The fact that neither you nor Tafka could make them fit doesn't prove that it can't be done.
"If you understood everything I say, you'd be me!"

~ Miles Davis

Ahmed

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:33 am »
It kind of loooks like Haunted house meets christmas :p. I don't like the color scheme just doesn't fit together.
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

Raziel

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 09:42:29 am »

It might be indeed difficult to make red and green fit in nicely but it's not impossible like you seem to be saying. According to the red-yellow-blue color model, red and green are complementary colors and thus often used as the basic colors in many kinds of different artworks, in the same manner as blue and orange or yellow and purple. I agree that in the frontend in question the two colors don't fit together so well, but it could be done with a little more work.

So, I'm just saying you shouldn't make statements like that as if they were carved into stone. The fact that neither you nor Tafka could make them fit doesn't prove that it can't be done.

As first:

As second:
I was talking about red and green colors mix ONLY, especially this dark green and dark red which Tafka was using. Without any additional colors from the whole RGB rainbow. These two colors only, they dont match at all. I've seen hundreds of green + red artworks. As exanple we could take many types of logo, especially these related to some fruits or vegetables. But again, in my opinion these two colors arent anything nice to work with. It won't look nice for eyes, it will be confusing or agressive. As for game interface, it's not the best choice really - again, IN MY OPINION.
I just dislike red and dark green.

miri

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 11:17:07 am »
Looks better than before, but still not perfect.
[Cop] miri
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up