Modern Warfare1.0 – 20lt
IP: 84.251.82.159
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 12
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [HowTo] Compiling OpenLieroX on Linux  (Read 10339 times)

SteelSide

[HowTo] Compiling OpenLieroX on Linux
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:35:53 pm »
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:06:04 pm by albert »
Get yourselves to IRC asap, I'm lonely. (And please change nick from OpenLieroXor)

albert

Re: [Coding] Compiling Open Liero X on Linux
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 04:25:05 pm »
Thank you for the report.

My mistake with SDL_gfxPrimitives.h, this should be fixed in the new SVN-version. Also, I tried to fix the HawkNL problem (that some people don't have the nl.h directly under /usr/include/ but under /usr/include/hawknl). So, you now simply have to run ./compile.sh without any changes (if all my fixes work; but I hope so...).

But note: For Debian/Ubuntu users, you have to use HawkNL as builtin because HawkNL is not available for your distribution (perhaps later, I hope, it will).

Under Debian/Ubuntu, first install the dependencies:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install cmake
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libgd2-noxpm-dev
sudo apt-get install libzip-dev
sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev

Then, start the compilation like this:
cmake -DHAWKNL_BUILTIN=1 . && make
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 10:11:26 pm by albert »

albert

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 04:27:16 pm »
Btw., can you (SteelSide) explain, what exactly doesn't work with saving? Because normaly, it should work. Perhaps contact me via ICQ.

SteelSide

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 05:16:56 pm »
First, i have got hawknl installed under my oldie debian system :o, or i believe so, cuz i could compile it there about half a year ago(Name of OLX was Liero Xtreme Proffesional then, and version was test5b or so)

And about saving, i dunno, i tried to get eclipse up and running but i just got depressed, but i added some printfs in the saving function, and they never occurred. So i guess some part where it calls for saving doesn't happen.

Also, i don't got ICQ, but if you got IRC or MSN, then i'm availible :)
Get yourselves to IRC asap, I'm lonely. (And please change nick from OpenLieroXor)

albert

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:17:23 pm »
I use KDevelop for developing here. It's nice and works good. It has also a nice project-import feature, so you just have to click on "import an existing project", then select the directory of OpenLieroX and it will then create a full project with all cpp/h files included, it also uses the Makefiles (or it does here because I have a normal Makefile; perhaps create one first with CMake). The only thing I have to select manually was the path to the binary of the game.

If the game doesn't calls the saving-function (it only does this before quitting...), this is very strange. It seems that the game crashs just before it while exiting.

I also have Jabber. It's not controlled by an evil company (realize, that MSN is controlled by MS! don't ever support MS! :) ), it has a realy nice and very extendable protocol, it's very secure and the best thing, it is Open Source! So everybody should use it. :)

SteelSide

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 06:55:50 pm »
Well, still, how about you getting a msn account and use that throught jabber :)? Or just getting and irc client and joining #LieroX on quakenet.
But it dosn't seem like crashing, stdout says "Everything was shut down fine" at the end.

albert

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:08:29 pm »
If I would use MSN through Jabber, I would still support MS (because I still use MSN in this case) and I don't want to support them while they are defeating the Open Source development.

Hm, but about the error, something seems very strange there (at least your printfs should be seen, because the save-function should be called in every case).
Btw., do you know exactly, how the game handles the file-IO? Take a look at the doc/README for more info.

Sadly, I am a bit busy at the moment. When I have more time, I will take a look on Quakenet. Or perhaps ask DC for more help.

>--Faisal-->

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 07:40:46 pm »
sick, will LieroX work in PS3?. Since has LinuX.

albert

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 07:44:13 pm »
Sure it will :)
(and already should do, though I never tested it; no money to buy a PS3 myself)

Btw., we will implement soon the possibility to play with more than only 2 local players and also to play it with gamepads etc.

Gaston

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 07:51:10 pm »
"we"? Does that mean that DC leaving was an april fools, or has Rye joined up, or both?
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

RuNyoufool

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 09:56:59 pm »
for rpm based systems you could also download one of the precompiled packages.
this was posted in the past. everything on forums can be manipulated. don't believe what you see or read.

SteelSide

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 10:30:28 am »
"we"? Does that mean that DC leaving was an april fools, or has Rye joined up, or both?

Well, it was posted on april the first :P, and i talked on him to msn and then he sure did sound involved.

You got AIM then? Could arse myself over and register some alias :P (gaim ftw)

Edit: Btw, RuN, where did you find those rpms :D? Who's in charge of the site? (/me noticed fc6)

Durza

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 10:57:28 am »
I have used the normal LieroX on Linux, before any OLXs or Professionals. That seemed to work fine, exept my father's nonseseful ideas of copy-paste but thats another story.
So you are able to keep those old libraries n stuff?

edit: Wrote wrong.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 12:51:00 pm by Durza »
Cee ya later

albert

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 12:03:39 pm »
@Durza: What do you mean with keeping the old libraries? If you want to use the native Linux version of OLX, you have to install also the native Linux versions of the needed libraries. But you can surely keep all Liero-related stuff (like your configs, the mods, the levels and so on). And there are many advantages of the native Linux version over a LieroX under Wine except the detail that OLX is more secure, faster and more bugless than LieroX.

Btw., about the security of LieroX: There is no single buffer overflow check in the whole application, all strings have fixed sizes and if you put to much data in them (there are many possibilities for this, also (and esp) over network...), you got an overflow. If you put some ASM code into the overflowed region, you can control the remote machine. This is how a remote exploit work. So: Every LieroX user here, don't run LieroX with admin-priviliges, everybody on the internet can gain full access to your machine then. In OLX, all (or at least almost) these security issues are removed.

RPMs: The Fedora/RedHat developers have created some official RPMs for their distribution. Here is one link:
http://redhat.download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/extras/6/i386/repoview/openlierox.html

It will perhaps also be placed on the GameLiveCD from Fedora:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/GamesLiveCD

There are also RPM search engines: http://rpmfind.userfriendly.net/ or http://rpmfind.net

Other Linux distributions:
I have found some special packages for these:
Archlinux: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openlierox/
Crux: http://crux.0x2a.at/openlierox/
Slackware: http://ftp.slackware.pl/pub/tukaani/source/y/openlierox/
(You shouldn't have to download these files manually on these distributions, there should be some easier method to install it there.)

SteelSide

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 08:52:36 pm »
Albert, could you help me setup a normal make file for OLX? Cuz i really need some good IDE instead of compile.sh + emacs :<

albert

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 09:12:14 pm »
We use CMake (or at least I; DC sadly is still forced to use some other strange OS to provide a binary for it). So install it and type:
cmake .This will create a Makefile for you. You never have to call cmake manually again (only if you add new files to the project). Now you can simply type:
make
And like I said, KDevelop is easy to use and nice. :)
(You have a "import existing project" option there. Simply create the Makefile with cmake, then select this option and you have a almost ready to use KDevelop workspace. The only thing you have to enter is the binary path, if you want to start/debug it from within KDevelop.)

Ahmed

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:19:16 pm »

Btw., about the security of LieroX: There is no single buffer overflow check in the whole application, all strings have fixed sizes and if you put to much data in them (there are many possibilities for this, also (and esp) over network...), you got an overflow. If you put some ASM code into the overflowed region, you can control the remote machine. This is how a remote exploit work. So: Every LieroX user here, don't run LieroX with admin-priviliges, everybody on the internet can gain full access to your machine then. In OLX, all (or at least almost) these security issues are removed.

The only acount on my comp is admin (my comp no other person uses this one) so OLX protects me from being hacked for the most part?
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

SteelSide

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 10:03:14 pm »
Yes, but as you run windows, you really should get a non-admin account. (Get linux, surfing pr0n is secure :D)

albert

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 10:25:46 pm »
To avoid misunderstoods: You also should not use your root-acount on Linux for the everyday-use, esp not for surfing on pr0n-sites. :)

OLX is WAY more secure than LieroX. But you cannot never be sure that there is no single leak. You can't never ever be sure on any application, that it is completly bugfree. That is also the reason why you also shouldn't run server daemons (like Apache or similar) with admin-priviliges.

So, one possibility is to trust OLX (you also trust in the security of Windows, so this shouldn't be a real problem...) or to create an user-account for your PC and use this. It would be better of course to use this user-account everytime for normal use, but sadly, Windows (and other bad coded applications) makes sometimes a bit trouble without the power to have full control over the PC.

Btw., if you want a very secure feeling, use OpenBSD. :)
The remote exploitation by buffer overflows is avoided there (because the system strictly differences between executable code in memory and pure application data in memory and the system prevents all application from changing any executable code, so you have no chance to execute any overflowed code).

SteelSide

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 11:20:38 am »
We use CMake (or at least I; DC sadly is still forced to use some other strange OS to provide a binary for it). So install it and type:
cmake .This will create a Makefile for you. You never have to call cmake manually again (only if you add new files to the project). Now you can simply type:
make
And like I said, KDevelop is easy to use and nice. :)
(You have a "import existing project" option there. Simply create the Makefile with cmake, then select this option and you have a almost ready to use KDevelop workspace. The only thing you have to enter is the binary path, if you want to start/debug it from within KDevelop.)

Danke :) I'll do that next time i reboot into linux :P (Got homework, which i am using windows for :/)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything