Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 69.12.73.163
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OpenLieroX 0.59 beta10 announcement  (Read 9484 times)

albert

OpenLieroX 0.59 beta10 announcement
« on: April 10, 2012, 04:54:05 pm »
Hey,

OLX 0.59b10 is making big steps forward to the release. There has been quite a lot of work on it in the recent 4 months and it is a quite huge update. Most of the important updates are internally though. But many of them also give you as mod/level developers new possibilities and also much more power in the ingame console, via Lua scripts (you can control most of OLX via Lua now), etc.

Before the release, I'd like to get some feedback about some of the new possibilities. Esp. I want to know if you maybe want some more Lua bindings/functions to some specific things (e.g. for creating game modes, more control over the menu, having network access to maybe do custom stuff on external servers, e.g. implement your own clanladder system, etc.) or some other options or so.

Here some change log:

- Teeworlds (https://www.teeworlds.com/) level support (mostly complete)
- new pixel flags types: no hook, damage area
- foreground level graphic support (put foreground.png in your (Gus) level dir)
- Gusanos high-res level support (double_res = 1 in config.cfg)
- console: `exportLevel`
- Mario Kart game settings preset mainly for race mode. select bonuses and kill enemies
- draw arrow in race mode to the next check point
- new option DisableWpnsAtStartup
- console persistence history support
- level dark mode used in Hide&Seek
- game.levelDarkMode and game.darkMode_wormLightRadius
- merge Gusanos/LX drawing. huge implications. basically all Gusanos special effects such as lightning, shadows, distortion can be used in LX. Gusanos is drawn at double res now. i.e. worms don't look pixelized anymore.
- simplified/overlayed HUD. the game gets the full screen
- single player game config structure simplified
- console: `restartGame`
- console: `reinitLua` - reinit the the global Lua instance. restarts your startup scripts
- Lua list object: `size` and iterator interface
- Lua worm state object: `shoot`, `carve`, `move`, `jump`
- Lua weapon slot objects: `weaponName`
- Lua worm objects: `isLocal`, `isHuman`, `isBot`
- new Lua bindings: exit, serverStart, serverStop, serverJoined, serverLeft, gamePrepare, gameBegin, wormPrepare, gameOver, gotoLobby
- Lua `setTimeout` function (like the JavaScript equivalent)
- Lua `system.time` (millisecs since OLX start), `system.version` (OLX version)
- Lua `commands` wrapper (to console commands)
- Lua `settings` wrapper (to all variables)
- Lua `game.settings` wrapper (to GameOptions.GameInfo)
- Lua `game.worms` wrapper
- Lua `game` wrapper to the internal main Game structure, i.e. state (lobby, preparing, playing), gameOver, hudPermanentText, iMatchWinner, teamScores, etc.
- Lua startup scripts (startup*.lua)
- console: `lua` - executes Lua code in the global Lua instance
- new global Lua instance
- Lua: access to any serializable game object, i.e. to all relevant game attributes
- vars: Game is an alias to GameOptions.GameInfo
- Lua: `player:weapon_types()` - returns selected weapon types
- weapon slots became dynamic. custom sizes possible. new option WeaponSlotsNum
- all other beta versions are automatically banned
- termios console CLI support based on linenoise
- single threaded debug mode
- simplification of internal game state and game loop
- fixes in net channel bandwidth handling
- new network syncing based on the game object serialization
- game object serialization system
- merge Gusanos/LX aim speed/angle/dir, ninjarope, worm spawning
- Gusanos support for RopeCanAttachWorm
- RopeCanAttachWorm option
- internal refactoring of list of worms
- HUD feedback: "Waiting for respawn …" and others
- press jump to spawn worm
- MaxRespawnTime option. If enabled (>=0) and if both this time and RespawnTime went by, the worm is automatically spawned
- Gusanos supports RopeRestLength
- Gusanos/LX share RopeMaxLength
- Gusanos startup-init cleaned up, much faster
- Gusanos/LX share RopeStrength
- Gusanos supports RopeAddParentSpeed
- unified server/client code. shares same gamestate (map, mod, etc)
- many Gusanos cleanups and fixes
- command line arg: `-disablestdincli`, `-disablecrashhandler`
- console: `debugDumpCallstack`, `debugDumpAllThreadsCallstack`
- updated Google Breakpad. also updated crash handler (Breakpad currently not used anymore). crash handler now based on libbfd and also prints line numbers and more
- serverlist handling refactored internally
- many random fixes

Some random screenshots:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:06:47 am by albert »

SLak0n

Re: OpenLieroX 0.59 beta10 announcement
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:53:06 pm »
Looks awesome  8)

You know when it will be released? any idea?

albert

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »
There are a few things I know about which I want to fix before the release.

Despite that, maybe a few other suggestion from here, which are probably simpler than the bug fixing. I also have a quite long list of ideas myself, all centered around the new Lua possibilites. I.e. some ideas about the clan ladder system. Or about dynamically creating/changing maps via Lua. And even more dynamic maps. I was thinking about adding more support for the Commander Keen levels to have the keys, doors and other stuff working and making a Commander Keen Liero single player campaign. Also I want to have some more tutorial levels; most support for that is already ready though. E.g. you can have something like "now turn your aim up/down. now turn left/right. now shoot the ninja rope. etc." and you can check/handle/script all that via Lua. For mod/level developers, I was also thinking about some nicer debugging tools. E.g. the possibility to reload the map/mod ingame (which might work already; I didn't tested it yet). Another idea was to script custom worm bots.

My time is extremely limited though in the next 3 months. So I'm not exactly sure wether I'll make it before that or after that. I could need some help, esp. at the debugging. Right now, I'm the only active developer on the team.

JasonB

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:29 am »
First pic looks unreal. Is that using shaders?

albert

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:26 am »
First pic looks unreal. Is that using shaders?

That's using the distortion effect. You can define any custom distortion map of any size for any particle object. There are a few predefined map or you can specify the map manually via Lua.

In that case, it's a fixed particle from the map. This is the particle object. And this is the related Lua code. This is the related C++ code (btw, ALLEGRO_BITMAP is actually a wrapper around SDL_Surface; this is because that is code which originally came from Gusanos).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:52:01 am by albert »

Kurko

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:07:44 pm »
What's that new net engine setting in 0.59 series?

Tafka

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »
- console: `debugDumpCallstack`, `debugDumpAllThreadsCallstack`
I think this is what we were missing from OLX 8)

albert

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51:39 pm »
What's that new net engine setting in 0.59 series?

Not working stable and mostly disabled in the releases. I was thinking of removing it completely. The technical idea behind it was nice but it's probably easier now to reimplement it.

OLX 0.59 beta10 however also has kind of a new net engine. And this is not a setting, it is the main engine and wouldn't work without it.

Ahmed

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
Here's my idea... why don't you and JasonB team up to avoid competition in a game with few player already.  We should merge with an active board (non lx related) to get the activity up also, getting rid of LXA all together (though keep a forum back up just in case) :D. No one really plays (including me) we gotta fix that or else development is pointless.

p.s: nice screens, look promising.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:09:41 am by Ahmed »
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.

k00man

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 10:53:41 am »
Looks real nice, can't wait to try it out!

I don't know if u have made any big changes with netcode but I really hope that in this version there is no hit registry problems :)
Check out my level: Warriors Stronghold

albert

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 06:52:51 pm »
Here's my idea... why don't you and JasonB team up to avoid competition in a game with few player already.

We asked him already to join the OLX team. He wasn't really interested. I think that hasn't changed.

He mainly said that he has different goals than the OLX team which aren't really compatible.

I for myself would also prefer him in the team but I cannot force him.

We should merge with an active board (non lx related) to get the activity up also, getting rid of LXA all together (though keep a forum back up just in case) :D.

I don't really understand that.

---

Btw., some question: In the introduced Teeworlds map support, I am wondering what scaling I should use. The original size/resolution is in any case way too big for OLX. Right now I am scaling it down by factor 2 and use that as high-res graphics. But I wonder wether I maybe should scale that even more, e.g. by factor 4.

Factor 2:

Factor 4:

Or maybe something in between? For my taste, with factor 4, it is already too small.

k00man

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 07:17:30 pm »
Factor 4 seems better. Factor 2 is just way too big.
Check out my level: Warriors Stronghold

Gaston

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:22:32 pm »
Something like factor 3 would probably work.
26 Mars 2007
Belle: woah, is that a neatly snuck in sexproposition? Could I ask you to take of your pants?

Ahmed

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 12:52:34 am »

We should merge with an active board (non lx related) to get the activity up also, getting rid of LXA all together (though keep a forum back up just in case) :D.

I don't really understand that.

The biggest reason why LX took off in my eyes was before LXA we were hosted as a community in the Gaming Universe. On an active board drawing a wide variety of gamers we were able to build a solid community. It got to the point we were such an active community that there was a boat load of ****y people who would pick fights with other clans and mods and the GU eventually banned people(Ruki and Raziel for instance). People got mad and we left. It was hard to draw people on the game after that and the community began to die(also the GU lost posters too and led to its downfall). We are here now and we need activity.  One way to bring it back would be to get hosted board on a popular gaming forum that a variety of gamers visit.
Learning about chemistry all day is more fun than anything... sorry LieroX.
Pages: [1]   Go Up