Liero v1.0 – 100lt
IP: 144.76.67.162
Game Mode: Death Match
Lives: 0
Max Kills: 15
Version: OpenLieroX 0.58 rc5
Players:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: [Release] OpenLieroX 0.59 beta  (Read 71211 times)

albert

[Release] OpenLieroX 0.59 beta
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:41:03 am »
Hey again,

There it is: The first 0.59 beta release. Please note that this time, "Beta" really means Beta. There are many crashes and there are huge memleaks. And who knows what other problems. But it's finally at a stage where I would say it is playable and you can try out all the fancy new things.

Well, the main new feature - you may have heard already about it - we have full Gusanos support now!

For those who don't know, Gusanos is another Liero clone, as old as LieroX (actually, I don't know - who was first, can somebody tell?), with much nicer physics, sound and gfx effects (well, physics may be subjective). The reason why (O)LX has become the favourit is because Gusanos was not really so intuitive to use (most of the life of this game, it didn't had a GUI) and it was restricted mostly to Windows only (Linux x86 was theoretically supported but it had dependencies to some comercial libs which were mostly not available on distributions). Checkout some videos on Youtube (or linked here on LXA) to get some impression about Gusanos. There are also a lot of really fancy mods and levels for Gusanos. Gusanos mods and levels are highly scripted. It is all based on Lua and you can do a lot of stuff - and I mean really a lot. There are levels with rain, jumppads, damaging elements and many dynamic elements here and there. There are also dynamic lights and you got a flashlight to see something.

All that is in OLX now. OLX is compatible to most Gusanos levels/mods out-of-the-box! (And those who don't work should be trivial to be fixed.)

This support goes very far: You can easily play some LX mod in a scripted Gusanos map. Check out the Gusanos Poo map. There is a jumppad on the bottom. :) That works also the other way around: You can play any LX map with Gusanos mods.

Despite this mixing, all OLX gamemodes (like CTF, race, Hide&Seek, etc) should also work with Gusanos. Esp. try out CTF and some of the Gusanos CTF maps. You will notice that there are fixed spawnpoints for each team and also the flag base is at a fixed place (those maps were esp. made for CTF). And most other OLX settings are also handled.

Warning: Set your loading time to 100 when you play some Gusanos mod. Some Gusanos mods may take up a lot of CPU and with too low loading time, they will easily make it unplayable.

Documentation about how to create your own Gusanos mods and maps are online, together with some more details about the merging and the Gusanos state in OpenLieroX:
http://www.openlierox.net/wiki/index.php/Gusanos

Ok, so far to the Gusanos support.

Then, there are 3D sounds now. That was introduced mainly because of Gusanos (which always had 3D sounds). The overall quality of the sounds should also be improved. We use OpenAL now.

And we have some more sounds for some ingame announcements, like "3 frags left", timeouts and some more stuff, also for CTF. Just see yourself. Those sounds were taken from the very nice Open Source 3D shooter Nexuiz.

And we have single player support now. :) This is mainly thought to provide some nice introduction / tutorial for newcomers. But maybe some of you is interested in creating a whole game? In any way, I hope I can get some further tutorial levels from you. More information will come later but it's mostly straight forward to be used (checkout the games directory).

I think that was all important stuff. Try it out. :)

Download here:
http://www.openlierox.net/downloads/

In case you get an "application configuration error", do this:
Download and install vcredist_x86.exe from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=766a6af7-ec73-40ff-b072-9112bab119c2&displaylang=en

For those who have problems with sound on Windows, try out this: Download&unpack&install this file:
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/oalinst.zip
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:37:00 pm by albert »

pelya

Re: [Release] OpenLieroX 0.59 beta
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:03:27 am »
For Ubuntu Jaunty and Karmic users: if you don't have sound with 0.59 that might be because OpenAL lib we're using now doesn't properly support PulseAudio.
Edit your file /etc/openal/alsoft.conf: add line
Code: [Select]
drivers = oss,alsa,pulse
and run OLX using "padsp" utility:
Code: [Select]
padsp openlierox

I home OpenAL will get fixed in Lucid.

Asrack

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:42:54 pm »
I tried it out, and I read what you said, love it already but here are a few bugs I found, which you probably know about but I will be nice and type it here anyway.

- Sometimes weapons from mods don't show. Trip mine isn't working at all from Doom for me. I haven't gotten around to try out any other mods yet.
- In the introduction levels - Everyone is invicinible for me, and I can't see health.

I'm ready for the switch now.  8) Gusanous here I come!

Somebody come play with me
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:17:14 pm by Asrack »

Benn0

• Im a lagging whore, if you see me in your server, PLEASE do not hesitate to kick me out! I HATE LAGGERZ ZOMG MORTORS!
  • LXA Duracell Postworm
  • Schwartz: +33/-12
  • 1117 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Benn0
  • Amaranth
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:44:59 pm »
Alright, gotta try it out after my lecture + a bunch of meetings when I get my hands on my desktop.

btw, does Gusanos support higher resolutions than LieroX/OLX?

Fancyfancy, nice work! :D
Donate rice, improve your vocabulary

Check out Outlawz - The Movie in my profile or directly on Youtube

DarkCharlie

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:23:40 pm »
btw, does Gusanos support higher resolutions than LieroX/OLX?

Nope, Gusanos uses 320x240 :'(

SorZ

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:28:23 pm »
I tried it just quickly on Mac.
No crashes so far..

Found few bugs, will report them.

Hatten

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:47:21 pm »
Wow, and when you said that if you set the loading time higher than 100 gusanos may take too much cpu, I hope you mean lower, else it would be _very_ weird.
I don't do unintentionall mistakes.

albert

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »
Whoops, yup.

- In the introduction levels - Everyone is invicinible for me, and I can't see health.

You mean in the CTF-level? The healthbar is not working there, yet (not sure, the mod is handling this). But are you sure that you cannot hurt the bots? They may take several hits until they die.

There is another important bug it seems: OLX 0.59 server with LX mod doesn't work together with OLX 0.59 client. Will try to fix this, maybe I'll just put a new version immediatly.

k00man

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:55:38 pm »
Does it support Vista 64bit since I cant open it. Windows just gives me some error when I try to open it.
Check out my level: Warriors Stronghold

albert

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:57:13 pm »
Does it support Vista 64bit since I cant open it. Windows just gives me some error when I try to open it.

What error?

k00man

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 04:07:40 pm »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:50:07 pm by p00man »
Check out my level: Warriors Stronghold

DarkCharlie

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:51 pm »

Asrack

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:25 pm »
I was playing that round for about 15 mintues before I gave up. Bots didn't die. :/

albert

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »
I made a new release: 0.59 beta2

Two crashes are fixed, and even more serious: If you start a 0.59 server with a LX mod, you can play also with a 0.59 client now on it (that was ****ed up, only Gusanos worked before).

I was playing that round for about 15 mintues before I gave up. Bots didn't die. :/

Can you post the OLX log?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:01:19 pm by albert »

Feliz Lombriz

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:17 pm »
Sometimes weapons from mods don't show. Trip mine isn't working at all from Doom for me.
A few things weren't working for me, but I think the tripmine works. Make sure you're using it right. The first time I ever played Doom I thought the tripmine was broken. It's not a projectile-type weapon, so if you aim it directly at your opponent it will look like a gun that doesn't work. To use it you must be in direct contact with the floor/wall, aiming your gun into the wall to lay a mine. The mine has a detector laser line and if another worm touches it himself or with a grenade the mine will explode.

Problems:
[Edit: These were all while running beta1]
-There is no sound. (I'm running on 64bit Windows Vista, not Linux)
-Lightmap problems. On my computer, the lightmap is really screwed up: black and gridlike. I just checked on levels Base, Mars and Dark_Pyramid, but I think any map using darkmode and lightmaps is messed up, like this:

-Doom mod: The transportal only works the very first time you fire it. After that it doesn't shoot anything.
-Promode: The names of the weapons don't appear when I hold the change weapon key.

Other General Errors
-The game said it crashed when I changed the menu theme to .56, but after the crash the menu theme change had gone through
-The game crashed when I tried to join the Morts/Potent server on Netplay. I tried 2 or 3 times. [Edit: I haven't checked yet, but I'm assuming this is what albert just fixed in beta2]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:18:22 pm by Feliz Lombriz »

Feliz Lombriz

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »
[Edit]
Fudge monkeys. I quoted my last post instead of editing it. Excuse me. ::)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:19:04 pm by Feliz Lombriz »

Asrack

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »
I've played Gusanos and know how it works, but it wasn't working at all for me. Could just be me though. Thanks for your help though.

Albert, where can I find it? Haha.

SorZ

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »
Albert, where can I find it? Haha.

First post, last line ;)

Asrack

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 10:39:02 pm »
Oh my bad, I thought he meant in my folder, I don't have time right now to download beta 2. I've got to head to class now. But thanks. I will do it later tonight.

SorZ

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »

----------------------------------------------------

OpenLieroX 0.59 Beta2
        Download

----------------------------------------------------
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up